• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Please explain revolver motors

neillarson

RCC Addict
Can someone explain how to use a revolver motor is a crawler. My (Admittedly meagre) knowledge is that the body (stator) of the motor rotates while the rotor stays stationary. How do you attach your pinion to the body of the motor? I am lost.

Once seen they make sense. The pinion mounts on the center shaft as normal, but the case mounting sounds funny, but again seeing is understanding. Performance is great, incredible slow control and gobs of power if needed. Complaints were always the noise, newer ESCs have got that covered.

there awesome but you need a esc made for them if you want the smooth low end
regular escs like castle escs work too but you need super low gears or they cog like mad kinda like wheeling with a manual transmission
thats not accurate, this is actually called stepping and it happens on all ESCs and doesnt effect driving. I made this video and called it cogging before I was corrected about it being stepping.

Stepping and cogging are two different things so its not a "whatever you want to call it" thing. Stepping is something you dont even notice when crawling, cogging would be intrusive and annoying as hell to crawl with.

IMO it drives just like any crawler motor but better/more torque. You're making it sound like it takes skill when it does not.

Last edited:
Since I only do scalers and typically hardbodies, weight is not a co cern so I will give the 540 size revolver with a Sidewinder esc. I have always been a Castle Creations fan for brushless and a Holmes Hobbies fan for brushes though I have been impressed with the Fusion Pros. Getting ready to try a 1080 ecs with a Holmes brushed just for giggles.

Stepping and cogging are two different things so its not a "whatever you want to call it" thing. Stepping is something you dont even notice when crawling, cogging would be intrusive and annoying as hell to crawl with.

IMO it drives just like any crawler motor but better/more torque. You're making it sound like it takes skill when it does not.
hay man lol a revolver with a cheap esc dose take skill man or at least some getting used to

I would even be careful when saying "Cheap ESC" - Many of the AM32 ESC's bought on AliExpress are under $40 shipped to your door, and many of them work amazingly well.

As for the "Revolver" part, that's just what Holmes has decided to name their Brushless Outrunner motors. Which is basically nothing more than a regular brushless motor, turned inside out. The electrical field coils are still stationary mounted, but in the center. The magnetic field is the "can" of the motor and now rotates, driving the output shaft.

That's the beauty of opinion and money scale. To me the mid level is around $80-90 (Rhino 80a, Mamba Micro, etc).

Since I also fly heli's and airplanes, Seeing ESCs into the $199+ range, doesn't shock me anymore. :ROFLMAO:šŸ˜­

Back