• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

PileDriver's Phoenix

PileDriver

Rock Crawler
Subscribed Member
Hey everyone I don't think I've ever done a build thread before so I figure I'd give it a go. Probably won't be too exciting for y'all considering I am a bit behind in the latest and greatest crawler products, but should be great fun for me.

For this build I was back and forth between a Phoenix kit and Vs4-10 builder kit. I ended up with the Phoenix kit for a few reasons. I wanted the twin transmission and really like the Phoenix body oh and for someone just getting back into the hobby like myself it helps that it comes with tires that I'll use for now to get me going (stock wheels will not be used). My only issues so far is that I could only find the Phoenix kit with portals and I want straight axles so now I am waiting on a set of straight axles to arrive and 80mm vs 90mm shox which I don't think will be an issue.

So far the build will include;
-SSD beadlock wheels
-Reefs Triple7 servo
-Castle MambaX esc
-Castle 1406 3800kv crawler motor
-SSD scale hubs and silver hardware for the wheels

Thanks for looking!
IMG_0406.jpeg

Don't usually have a lot of free time over the weekends especially with foozball being back, I plan on getting into the kit on Monday...buuuut with all the goodies sitting around I couldn't resist doing something so last night I opened the wheels, scale hardware and hubs. Me personally I do not care for the yellow zinc gold plated hardware so I swapped them things out for silver ones (silver scale hub bolts on the way) and had to see how the wheels look with the hubs. Was going to mount the tires but I might wait and order new foams or spend the $ else where, not sure yet.

Thats all for now, thanks for lookin.
IMG_0407.jpegIMG_0410.jpeg

Man what a difference the silver screws make. Awesome.
On the wheels I have like these. I make a silver (sharpie) mark on the back side of the matching spoke to aid in lining the halves back up.

Aw man... is this what I'm going to be doing now? changing out zinc for silver hardware??

Yeah... those look fantastic with the silver. LURC?

fwiw My fear is breaking off one or more of those heads or rounding them with my crappy Whia driver. Any particular driver that you're using?

Man what a difference the silver screws make. Awesome.
Thanks. I am pleased with how they look.
Yeah... those look fantastic with the silver. LURC?
Thank you. The hardware is SSD (one pack is enough for one wheel) and I use there little socket tool that is designed to work with a 2mm hex driver.

One thing I did note about the SSD scale hardware is the quality is much better than on a set of the same wheels I had about 9 years ago. I noticed the head on the bolt is actually taller allowing for better engagement in the tool and they also seem to be slightly fatter eliminating almost all the play or slop when in the tool allowing better grip, not one of these bolts/screws felt like they were gonna round out when torquing on them. I remember years ago on these wheels every scale bolt felt soft and wanted to round out.
I actually still have a pack of the old screws from years ago and took a pic of them side by side. The one on the left is new the right is old.
IMG_0408.jpeg

So I got the other scale hardware ordered for the wheels and almost order the f10 straight axles but decided to wait. I definitely need a set of axles (I sold the portals) but now Iā€™m thinking maybe instead of getting a regular set of straight f10 axles I will build a set of h10 axles, I really like the BTA servo and getting a true 4 link suspension in the front. It would be a little wider stance but if I went this route I would probably cut off the fender flares on the phoenix body and run 4.75 tall tires vs the stock 4.65 tires.
What do yā€™all think of this idea?

The H10s are pretty wide but with that 3800kv motor and top heavy body, the width should add some stability. I dont think I've seen anyone put those axles on a Phoenix yet. At a glance, looks like it wont be a direct bolt on like the F10s would be though. Front uppers look like they'd have to mount outside the chassis rails and you'd need to modify the front chassis brace/servo mount?

Thanks Col for thoughts and info. I think for now I am going to build the kit and pull the axles from my H10 just to see how much work it would be to mount the axle and also check out the stance before I order any axles.

IMG_0437.jpegIMG_0438.jpegIMG_0439.jpegIMG_0440.jpegFinally started the kit and was able to complete the chassis and trans. The dang trans took way longer to build than expected but it was my first VFD build. I also swapped the wheel hub screws with more silver scale hardware.
Hopefully I can work on this some more over the next few days.

lol You inspired me to spend a bunch of money at amain on 2.0/ 2.5 mm hardware. Don't mean to thread derail but glad I've been following. Thanks
To me, that's half of what these posts are about. While I'm not all about the "scale points", some of the hardware can really make these trucks look amazing. Now I too find myself contemplating the hex head bolts for the rims. šŸ˜

Sure enough, I found that adding Ultra Hubs to my crawlers which I was unsure of over the price, but looked great so I kept them in place.
Link:

Attachments

• signal-2024-03-15-141552.jpeg
    signal-2024-03-15-141552.jpeg
    218.5 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20240321_193345.jpg
    IMG_20240321_193345.jpg
    272.5 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Back