• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Painting body panel shut lines

Nah, looks darn good. Those molded in lines are never deep enough or consistent enough. Tough getting that Sharpie to track straight in them.

“I used a fine tip Sharpie on my Origin body. The Ultra Fine tip never wants to write on bodies for me and when it does it's difficult to see.”

Jato - pre-wipe the exterior areas you’re doing the lines with a lint free rag and some rubbing alcohol. I also keep a scrap piece of paper handy. If the Sharpie seems to wanna kit inking, scribble a bit on the paper and it will work well again.

Had success today, added window mesh and also pinstripe decals for the shut lines. Thought I’d try them out first and have sharpies as backup. Pleased with the outcome.
ed93e32989001808c82806dfa6b49f5c.jpg

b74518d5a9ec279566b291aed572e97d.jpg

5f97d6880f44f29fa169be54ef87767a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks like the Proline 2013 Dodge Ram 1500 True Scale body, PN 3420-00.
Watch on Ebay, may come up there occasionally.

Last edited:
Yup, ultra-fine tip sharpie ftw. I would preferred something a little finer (probably 0.5mm) but the ultra-fine (0.7mm) sharpies is the closest I've been able to find.
Same tip that painters would use on brushes with scissors. Only you'd nip it down with an xacto blade. ;)

An art marker in a DARK shade of whatever your body color is will look the most realistic. 1:1 panel gaps aren't black, unless the car is already an extremely dark color, and when replicating in scale, it's usually best to go a bit subtle, anyway. I would try the darkest red, blue, green, whatever-color marker rather than black.

Back