• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Overhaulin the wraith, DC Rubicon, mmp waterproof

Hey guys I got some new updates! I went to a children's consignment sale with my wife and daughter yesterday and I got this Hummer RC vehicle. Has no batt or remote but only $5. The body is in great shape.
8b6ad3a1.jpg

Also thought I'd send a pic of my front under hood wiring
There is a lot of wiring in this girl now. Feels like it weighs several more pounds .
71902e76.jpg

Also the scale rc4wd hubs are horrible about backing off even with loctite. So you can put the regular nuts on first and then the hubs on and it works great but with these new wheels it looks stupid.
So I took a 5/16 drill bit and drilled the rc4wd hub out to go over the outside of the factory wheel nut.
0de94e79.jpg

05e67efc.jpg

Works great!!!
68d5de0b.jpg

Ok, whew, originally thought I would do this in a couple days. I was wrong! Here are some pics of phase 1 complete. Still more work to do but I got to drive it some before I get the shakes! :)

Here are some pics with the rock lights on, the pics don't do them justice.
00a25a00.jpg

1d659d7f.jpg

And some outdoor pics, the head and taillights turned out great!
ee795ff2.jpg

d8ec35ab.jpg

b9ee8b98.jpg

I actually used my little round original lights as taillights and shoo goo'd them to the inside of the body! You can see a close up of the headlights earlier in this post. The shoo goo is clear although it can get little bubbles in it. But you can't see them with the lights on "thumbsup"

wow looks great! I dig those wheels!! so how do you like the rc4wd swampers compared to the proline swampers? they look to be taller, are they softer compound aswell?

looking nice.. where did you get that jeep body?
Thanks Steelfish, that is the dynamic concepts (DC) jeep rubicon body. It is nice, but one of the more difficult body's to get mounted correctly!

wow looks great! I dig those wheels!! so how do you like the rc4wd swampers compared to the proline swampers? they look to be taller, are they softer compound aswell?

Thank you lkracer, I agree, I am very happy with how she turned out too. I love the new wheels and tires. It was hard getting the tires out of the plastic bag they were in due to them being soo sticky! I haven't had a real good run with them yet but I do have a small rock course in the back yard and they did great! The swampers were super sticky too. While it seems they have lost a little stickiness, they still do great too. I'd say they are about equal when new. They are taller by half an inch or so!

Small update, I have had a more than acceptable amount of play at my front wheels. Looking closely at this issue I noticed that there was some slack outside of the bearing in between it and my HR brand knuckles (outer c ) as well as play in the bearing too. So I picked up some vanquish Knuckles and installed them on to my HR inner C's
1364a9883dfae67bb13449e0a9c5ea47.jpg

546b9d7b2bfe08b5971c0aeb3d112c19.jpg

Now this cured 90% of my play issues until I drove it for about 15 min and it seems that half the play is back. I hate this but appearantly am going to have to live with it unless anyone else has an answer!

is it in the bearing bore? is the bearing loose inside the knuckle? if so a tiny bit of rtv silicone around the outer race of the bearing may help. will basically be glueing the bearing into the bore but should should still be able to disassemble if you ever need to replace the bearings. green loctite is made for this but i'm afraid you would destroy the knucke if you tried to get the bearing back out.

It could be that your wheels are coming loose because you are still using the stock wraith 12mm wheel hexes they only work with stock wraith wheels because of the little centering flange the sticks out witch does not let the wheel have a nice flat surface to mount against. I fought this for almost a year before i figured it out and now several outer crawlers that were having the same problem hope this helps.

Took my new girl out for a day of play! Must say I love the new Iroks. It's wet here and they still did awesome. I'd say possibly stickier than the TSL's I was running before. She did great, the only thing I'd change is I wish it had a low gear for when I'm in heavy rocks. That should be solved soon when my rc4wd two speed tranny gets here this week. :mrgreen: anyways here is a few pics from today. I have a lot of video to go through and edit that I will post later. You can see how well the iroks do yourselves.

94499878d1c6db4d9777b2768572697c.jpg

0f2d147c08abc12b2c8f5883443534c2.jpg

3df4aa31f8abf09333d67653a0f9f6d2.jpg

9052c94585e537de8531f6e2d6185697.jpg

And one from a few days ago

ed9b197d7ba95182242b2f8e27668832.jpg

Some pics of today's run. New vp 3d covers thanks to Docs!
07d024ef0e88315d328288433d19e371.jpg

Some tire spinning action!
66480db2b669e725ed4d8772630cf365.jpg

Hill climbing with these tires and front battery swap made a big difference.
01f2d150a0c2b6fb5888d865f604570c.jpg

These tires side hill well. Look at the pass rear, this hill is steeper than the camera shows!
ea8707021184c43b8af21a5d7960f362.jpg

Hanging on by a tread! Lol the front tire is not in a hole, it's folding under due to how steep it is!
677635262f25534962b4fb6bd9d8aaa3.jpg

Last edited:
Ok, so I got my new 4ch. Remote and servo in. It's the Traxxas TQI system. I think it's gonna work great. It has a 2 position 3rd channel which works great for the 2speed trans. (high and low) and 3 position 4th channel which will be great when my new quicksand winch gets in a couple months. Not only that but the feature that works with you're I phone to monitor motor temps, voltage etc... Will be nice. Anyway the servo works great at shifting with the servo saver I'm having no issues with the servo getting hot. Heres a few pics

202dbac4cad0ace29f63e2f08abfc958.jpg

In high gear
0f89270513fe2b79fc4138e88af7988e.jpg

In low gear
951261201eae991eeb405641f41deca8.jpg

Hate to say it but that radio looks like it does not have the dock to work with the iPhone. I have this system on my racing buggy. Great system for the monitoring of stats. Don't plan on getting the rpm unless you purchase a 32p Traxxas pinion with the magnet built in.

Re: Overhaulin My Wraith, Now with Tekin Pro 4

Well my Tekin 13.5 is not running right and is going back to Tekin for some warranty repairs and lord knows I have limited patience so I got this to use while it's out for repairs. You know just something to at least keep it rolling in the meantime :lmao:

daa848bf82d1325dfde81a7518e6a391.jpg

I am installing this with a twelve tooth pinion and the stock 60 tooth spur that came with the rc4wd 2 speed trans
b01d18a5258aa4d3d588b0c198077ba7.jpg

I also put my shifting servo under the rail on the trans instead of on top. Gives a lot more room on top of the trans for interior room and room for wiring.
d6093f589ea43af9b021e51b4327c7fe.jpg

By the way, I liked my Tekin 13.5 but my pro 4 with this transmission is crazy fast but is the best at crawling that it has ever been. I ran it today and yesterday for a long time and the motor never even got more than 120 degrees if even that warm. I'm in love with this drivetrain. If you want to know what would be good scratch that, awesome in a wraith then "save up" it's well worth it!

Last edited:
have u got any spare parts left from the hummer. I have the same truck w/ a f350 body.

Hey guys I got some new updates! I went to a children's consignment sale with my wife and daughter yesterday and I got this Hummer RC vehicle. Has no batt or remote but only $5. The body is in great shape.
8b6ad3a1.jpg

Also thought I'd send a pic of my front under hood wiring
There is a lot of wiring in this girl now. Feels like it weighs several more pounds .
71902e76.jpg

Also the scale rc4wd hubs are horrible about backing off even with loctite. So you can put the regular nuts on first and then the hubs on and it works great but with these new wheels it looks stupid.
So I took a 5/16 drill bit and drilled the rc4wd hub out to go over the outside of the factory wheel nut.
0de94e79.jpg

05e67efc.jpg

Works great!!!
68d5de0b.jpg

Back