• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Old Yeller .

NWCT24CRAWL

Quarry Creeper
Subscribed Member
I liked the FMS Toyota Hilux but felt it could be better performing and looking .

Upgrades are .
Stock oil filled FCX24 shocks , relocated frame shock mounts.
Injora 050 Pro motor , installed bearings for transmission output shafts.
Hobby Plus CR18 Trail Hunter bed cage .
FCX24 K5 Blazer front bumper.
FCX24 servo .
3mm body lift .
Extended front links 5mm for more travel , less binding and tire clearance.
Removed the pan hard bar .
64 x 24 LGRP Swamp Kings on deep dish Injora wheels are borrowed from another rig but fit perfectly.
Front signal lights disconnected , rear brake lights died first week.
Ball bearings for axles on the way .

Attachments

• IMG_2782.jpg
    IMG_2782.jpg
    167.4 KB · Views: 346
  • IMG_2783.jpg
    IMG_2783.jpg
    177.4 KB · Views: 343
  • IMG_2781.jpg
    IMG_2781.jpg
    153.9 KB · Views: 338
looks like a better performer already ... love the scale look... maybe a brown wash weathering would give it a grimy look and make it more scale. Bobbing the bed would bring it up to marlin status. Lately I got bit on the micros and been revamping some old tiny rigs that were left on the shelves for a while; they definitely start to become more interesting once they stop flopping around too much and they actually perform. I bet you there was knight and day difference just with the shock change.

looks like a better performer already ... love the scale look... maybe a brown wash weathering would give it a grimy look and make it more scale. Bobbing the bed would bring it up to marlin status. Lately I got bit on the micros and been revamping some old tiny rigs that were left on the shelves for a while; they definitely start to become more interesting once they stop flopping around too much and they actually perform. I bet you there was knight and day difference just with the shock change.

The shocks were in the spare parts bin , the first mod that got the project going in the direction it’s going . I ordered the bed cage at the same time as the truck , my original thought was to replace the factory bed with the rear cage , unfortunately I didn’t want to hack off the rear of the frame. (Yet anyway ) I kinda like the pre-runner look . I may be trying to get it to go faster than slower at some point .

Great combo of parts. Good looking and scale correct.

Sent from my LG-V521 using Tapatalk

The 64 x 24 Swamp Kings were rubbing on the shocks so I decided to get 63 x 22 LGRP Trail King tires mounted on Injora silver 3.78 negative offset wagon wheels . I also adapted TRX4M hex extensions to get a little wider .
The steering was not the best turning left so I made my own linkages , it improved a lot but may be looking for a better servo .

Attachments

• IMG_2802.jpg
    IMG_2802.jpg
    148.6 KB · Views: 189
love it so far, i think if you just swapped the axles with fcx24 axles you'd be set, super easy swap. have done it to a couple of my other fms rigs, will give you that lift and work perfect with those shocks! it will gear the truck down pretty low though if you are in to that kind of thing

My original intention was to install the FCX portal axles , that changed when I found metal gears in the factory axles . The transmitter has a climb mode that gives a good slow crawl.

I recently installed Injora 45mm oil filled shocks with FCX Smasher springs and removed the 3mm body lift.
I also installed longer scx24 deadbolt rear lower links set up as trailing arms to give some drive shaft protection.
The LGRP tire foams were to soft on side hills so I installed stiffer Injora foams .

Last edited:
Some photos of factory metal gears and link mods .

Attachments

• IMG_2827.jpeg
    IMG_2827.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_2825.jpeg
    IMG_2825.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_2826.jpeg
    IMG_2826.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 15
  • IMG_2791.jpeg
    IMG_2791.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 15
I know this is a crawler forum but this build is looking more like a Pre Runner . I’m on the fence where to go but my current thoughts are more speed .

RC4WD sells motor and SCX trans mount options that have more speed from what I have seen in some videos on You Tube.

The RC4WD combo sits forward and high witch means butchering a hole in the interior of the truck .

My thoughts are to go with the RC4WD trans mount , Scx24 metal gear transmission and Mofo Big Block side mount that might fit under the passenger seat with minimal interior cutting.

Attachments

• IMG_2829.png
    IMG_2829.png
    775.4 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_2821.jpeg
    IMG_2821.jpeg
    111.3 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_2828.png
    IMG_2828.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 12
Something to consider, at least if you’re not against cutting up the interior, is the MEUS racing 2spd for the TRX4M, so that way you get a crawling ratio, and a speedier gear too.

I would probably go with the FMS 2 speed if I went that route . I am familiar with it and have extra parts . I will take a look at the Meus trans though.

On another note , this model is currently discontinued on the FMS website. It is available on Fair RC as a painted mod .
I’m thinking in might possibly come out as a FCX18 with the portal axles and 2 speed in the future.

Back