• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Nor-Calrcrc 2010/11 comp #5 - Folsom Reservoir - 2/12/11

GREAT TIME TODAY 2 DO WORK COURSES AND 2 WTF COURSES "thumbsup" LAST ONE TOOK MY REAR GEARS ON GATE 8 :twisted: HAD A AWESOME TIME AND A KILLER SCALE RUN AFTER"thumbsup"AND TOP IT OFF 5MIN 10 GATES PLUS BONUS WOW

Last edited:
Thanks for coming out today everyone and thank you very much to all who pitched in to make it happen. Great weather and all the scalers running afterwards was a treat.

Here are the results, nice driven everyone "thumbsup"

Attachments

• event5.jpg
    event5.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 160
Thanks Nor- Cal crew for a great day of comping, I think I might be banned from setting any more courses.:ror:

... I think I might be banned from setting any more courses.:ror:

I think your course was fine, now course 3, maybe not so much. Hard gates are good, it's what seperates the truely great drivers from the rest, but I wish some better thinking can be applied to the approaches to them. Trying to just reach the gate can be tough when you have to negotiate a near-impossible hole to climb out of. Make the gates challenging, but I think it's better to not have possibly rig-breaking, gear-stripping, motor burning horrors on the way to them.

I think your course was fine, now course 3, maybe not so much. Hard gates are good, it's what seperates the truely great drivers from the rest, but I wish some better thinking can be applied to the approaches to them. Trying to just reach the gate can be tough when you have to negotiate a near-impossible hole to climb out of. Make the gates challenging, but I think it's better to not have possibly rig-breaking, gear-stripping, motor burning horrors on the way to them.

Yeah i took out my front gears on course3!! never got to try the fourth course:evil:

Yep, make the gates difficult, make the spaces between gates tough too, but I don't think it's nessasary to have obstacles that might tear a car apart, that's all I'm saying.

Last edited:
Thanks Nor- Cal crew for a great day of comping, I think I might be banned from setting any more courses.:ror:

I loved your courses"thumbsup" Was 3 the course with gate 7 under the rock? If so my time remaining on my score card was .01 seconds:shock:

The 5 min. thing was hard to get used to though.

There is a fine line between setting a challenging course and setting one that is undo-able. It's very hard to tell until the course has been ran.

It seems like we need to break up the 2.2 pro class into two classes, 2.2 novice with dig, and 2.2 pro with dig. Sportsman and pro is too vague.

I loved your courses"thumbsup" Was 3 the course with gate 7 under the rock? If so my time remaining on my score card was .01 seconds:shock:

The 5 min. thing was hard to get used to though.

That was course four. When I set course three and four, I was thinking six minute time limit, I know, I'm retarded.:ror:

Thanks Dave and Nor-Cal crew! I personally had a good time even with a second to last finish(Oh well).:cry:
Great weather, relaxed comp for the most part, as for the courses go I agree with gunnar, and Travis please do not get discouraged I have driven some pretty good courses that were done by you,

It all goes to experience an experimentation I think like gunnar said think of an easier aproach to a gate is key, I have made the mistake were I just threw gate markers down and almost nobody finished. Is a learning process but then again this is a single point of view."thumbsup"

Course design

Don't be too hard on Travis or anyone else for that matter. Course building is a fine balance and nothing beats experience. His courses were well thought out and challenging. The results would have been different if they were 6 minutes. ;-) Keep in mind that the builders usually have to be there before everyone, judge all day and are the last to leave. Quite a few people stepped up to help yesterday and gave some of us regulars a chance to step back a little. Thank you everyone it was a nice day. "thumbsup"

I'm happy with the finishing percentage on 3 of the 4 courses. Ideally we would have 2 moderate courses, 1 "feel good" course and 1 black diamond course. Yesterday we achieved all that with the exception of 2 black diamonds. 8) Like Travis said, course 4 was a 6 min course.

General course building guidelines for all (feel free to chime in if you think I missed anything):
10 gates + bonus Line, 5 Minutes

1. If the terrain between gates is less challenging to drive then go ahead and spread out the course.

2. If the terrain consists of several holes and ripwrap set the gates closer together.

3. With 10 to 14 gates on a course it is ok to set some "directional gates". Directional gates are generally not very diffficult to clear but lead the driver in a direction through a section that you want to take them.

4. If you're setting up a course and the 1st 5 gates seam to have cool lines that are difficult, change those to be gates 6-10 and set the early gates elsewhere.

5. No matter how difficult a gate is there should always be an option to straddle ("Take the Gate") for progression.

6. I think it is really cool when there is a difficult gate 10 on what was a pretty easy course where most drivers have a minute plus left when they get to 10. Making them use that time to work the gate is entertaining. Make it so that the gate could easily be straddled for a penalty but at least they finish.

Last edited:
Quite a few people stepped up to help yesterday and gave some of us regulars a chance to step back a little. Thank you everyone it was a nice day. "thumbsup"

your welcome dpdsmurf........:flipoff::lmao: glad i could help out...

oh yea... thanx Lincoln...........

good comp......

i think there were a few that just wanted the comp over so they can scale.........:flipoff::flipoff::flipoff:
scale is over rated..............:ror:

No matter how difficult a gate is there should always be an option to straddle ("Take the Gate") for progression.

Course 3 needed this option.

Which gate on course three do you speak of?

It might have been gate two, not sure, as I didn't get very far on that one. After I finally got out of the hole, I hit the gate while progressing, but I think the direction of the gate was such that driving up the slab to reach it would be in the wrong direction. Hard to remember the exact layout, all I remember is that it was a toughy:ror:

Back