• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Noob External BEC question

Danger Dookie

Installed a CC external on my Wraith.

I forgot to pre-program the BEC to 7.4v. I have already soldered the power lines to the lines for the servo (7950hitec). I tried to connect CC Link to the BEC just using the data wire and powered the BEC using the battery. CC Link would not recognize the BEC. I believe it needs to have power connected to the BEC to verify what it's setting.

I'm not the best at soldering so I'm reluctant to cut wires, put on a new plug and set the BEC, then re-solder.

I have thought of a few "work around" and wanted to see if someone more knowledgeable would be able to tell if any of them would work.

1. Connect the power lines from a second BEC to the link but use the data wire for the BEC I'm trying to set.

My idea is that the link will see the "bec" power wires but will send the data to the BEC I'm trying to set..

2. Take a spare wire and touch it to the power wires that I had soldered to the servo lines.

I had worked slowly on the kit and then rushed into the end as I got excited. Currently the rig works fine but I wanted to set the BEC to 7.4 for my 7950.

Thank you for your time!

Is there a reason you are not using connectors?

Skip the BEC and power it direct. It's a very common misconception that you must have a BEC. You don't. For high voltage servos like the 7950, power it straight from a 2S battery with a ground trace back to the receiver. I run my G6 on 3S but have a $5 2S Lipo on the rear crossmember just to run my lights and my Savox 1270TG.

The castle link probably need flipped. It indicates the positive on the back of it.

You also don't need to plug in a battery, as it will get its power from the link itself.

Just try flipping your plug over and you should be good to go. If I recall correctly when you have it in correctly you should see the three pin symbols, and you should see the top of the plug which shows the release tabs.

So I tried both methods described in OP.. None worked.

I eventually went to the local hobby shop and picked up connector kit, rebuilt the ends to new and picked up a y harness.

Was able to get the BEC programmed but it took a while. If it the BEC is hardwired to the battery terminal then you'll have to plug in the link and then connect the battery.

I would suggest programming your BEC prior to hard wiring it as this would be much easier. Lesson learned.

Figured I would post this in case anyone makes the same mistake.

All 3 of mine are wired to a plug on the battery terminal, but I have never needed a batt to program.! At least you got it done.

Back