• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Newbie Trying to Choose. Driving Myself Crazy

Diesel6point6

Hey guys, first of all thank you in advance for answering my questions. I know it can get old answering the same questions over and over so I appreciate it.

I'll try and keep it brief and to the point. This will be my first serious RC. I saw the world of scalers and crawlers and have been hooked since so I need one. I've been doing tons of reading, but I'm the type of buyer that the more reading I do, the more I can't decide lol so I'm hoping y'all can help.

The main use I want it for is trail driving, and probably regularly going off the trail if I see a fun looking line. My area is chock full of woods so I'll have no shortage of that. Actual scaling and crawling up a pile of rocks will honestly be a lot less frequent than the trail stuff. With that said, I'm trying to pick the right one for that use. I have it narrowed down to 3, and they're probably not surprising to you guys. Scx ii, TRX 4, and the Element Enduro. Swapping bodies and customization is also very high on the list of wants. I build scale models so combining that with RC is just so cool to me. Now that's out of the way, my questions are:

-With my intended use, is one better over the other? I read the TRX 4 has the unlockable diffs and 2 speeds. Is that a must for trail driving?
- As I understand it, all 3 have customizing options (bodies, parts, etc), correct?
- I know Axial fest (I think that's what it's called) is coming up soon, would it be wise to wait and see what comes of that before I buy in case the next best thing is coming out?

I went into my LHS (it's a very small store, but the guys in there do seem like they know their stuff). He recommended against the TRX, although he wasn't a Traxxas dealer so I took that with a grain of salt. But his reasoning was because if I'm gonna be doing body swaps, the TRX can get tricky with that and typically requires modifications. He was really high on the Enduro.

Thanks again guys for your time, and all recommendations/opinions are welcome!

I think if you’re going to focus more on trailing and driving in the woods than crawling rock piles, I’d opt for the TRX-4 with 2 speed trans and lockable / unlockable diffs. It’s really the perfect set up based on what you’re looking to do most of the time. Plus, if you do find a rock pile, lock the diffs, throw it in low and crawl ‘till your hearts content. The TRX4 really is an awesome and tough platform. OE parts and aftermarket parts support is awesome as well. Plus, the Bronco and K5 iterations ooze scale goodness.

Welcome to the site!

I'd Walt for Axialfest only if you're considering an Axial.

The TRX-4 is my favorite trail rig. The remote diffs and two speed aren't necessary at all, but they sure add another element of fun! I highly recommend the TRX-4 for the fun factor, durability and the size of the aftermarket.

The Element and SCX10 offer better performance out of the box, but they don't have portal axles.

A hobby shop that recommends against Traxxas seems clueless in my opinion.

Decisions decisions... For what it's worth my LHS here in the Phoenix area has said the Element Enduro is the best bang for the buck. The guys out on the trail have said the truck does real well out of the box. It is a well thought out design and comes with the option of 2 over drive ratios for the front dif included nothing to buy as well as a tranny that can be reversed and a 2 piece body, cab separate from the box.

If you are planning to go to Axialfest and participate you need to go Axial. You can't go wrong with them either, so much aftermarket parts to enhance the performance.

Traxxas TRX4's have the portal axles which IMO kinda takes away from looking real scale but are incredible crawlers. Don't rule out RedCat for the price.

Ask yourself what do you want from one of these? Is it something you want to build to scale and trail with or a good crawler to do some comps with or to bash around the yard.

Really can't go wrong with any of them. You did mention your LHS too. Might just consider what they stock parts for just to make it easier for you to get started.

Anyway whatever you choose just go and have fun with it. That's what it's all about!

Last edited:
Despite Jato's opinion of the Scx10II, You really cannot go wrong with any of the 3 in your view. I have Scx10's (gen1&gen2)and have literally hundreds of miles of trail driving on them. For aftermarket parts, The Scx10II is king. Traxxas is not far behind, and the Enduro is getting support as well.

The Enduro has Overdrive out of the box, but stock plastics seem to be a bit soft.
Traxxas electronics are not known to be long lasting.
And the scx10 has softer plastics, and is getting dated.

Despite Jato's opinion of the Scx10II, You really cannot go wrong with any of the 3 in your view. I have Scx10's (gen1&gen2)and have literally hundreds of miles of trail driving on them. For aftermarket parts, The Scx10II is king. Traxxas is not far behind, and the Enduro is getting support as well.

The Enduro has Overdrive out of the box, but stock plastics seem to be a bit soft.

I didn't say one bad word about the SCX10 in that post. :ror: I would be shocked if Horizon doesn't update that platform this year. They have a lot of stiff competition - more than ever - and the only new Axial vehicle from Horizon is the Capra.

To be fair, Axial electronics aren't known for lasting long either. I have no experience with the Element or its RTR electronics.

I didn't say one bad word about the SCX10 in that post. :ror: I would be shocked if Horizon doesn't update that platform this year. They have a lot of stiff competition - more than ever - and the only new Axial vehicle from Horizon is the Capra.

To be fair, Axial electronics aren't known for lasting long either. I have no experience with the Element or its RTR electronics.

That is fair... :thumbsup:

My personal experience is pretty good with Axial electronics. I know others have not been nearly as lucky. My Honcho still has its original electronics, minus the motor(wore it out). in fact after 200 actual miles on the trail, the only broken part has been a servo horn.

I have never done a trail ride with a Traxxas, So I cannot speak for its "real world" durabillity.

Same with the element.

My only point is don't discount the old rig. The Scx10II, lol.

Thank you for all your input! I've tried to reply individual to each but it says my reply needs to be reviewed first. I'm taking every post into account though and I really appreciate the input!

SCX10ii out of that bunch, and don't forget the Vaterra Ascender. ;-)"thumbsup"

https://www.horizonhobby.com/VTR030...MIpd_F1OCM6AIVeh6tBh3fzQ54EAQYAyABEgKwhfD_BwE

Out of your 3 options, for a trail rig I'd go with the TRX4. The unlocking diffs and 2 speed transmission will make trail runs more fun in the less challenging areas. I do agree with your hobby shop that the Enduro represents the best value, and of the 3, I think it's the best climber/crawler, but that's not what you're after.

The SCX10 is a dinosaur now. There's really no reason to buy that platform.

The SCX10 is a dinosaur now. There's really no reason to buy that platform.

I'm just sitting here on the sidelines with my dinosaur Ascender, but I'm not sure the Enduro is light years ahead of the SCX10ii. Other than the overdrive tansmission, what are the big advantages?

At this time there's no such thing as "light years ahead of the SCX10.2", in my humble opinion... it's a solid platform but Axial makes things tricky by releasing multiple versions of which some really could use at least a few upgrades out of the box.

I'd say the most advanced rig is pretty obviously the TRX-4, with the portals being a plus even if you only go for the simpler Sport version to save money, weight, and complexity. Tons of aftermarket upgrades already out, and still seeing the occasional new releases.

However - as was mentioned, the fully-decked-out TRX-4 with 2spd transmission and locking front and rear diffs added to the portals sure makes for an entertaining trail rig, even if the extra weight can in some situations make it struggle to crawl as well as a well-tuned lighter-weight simpler vehicle.

I'd say the Enduros advantages are its light weight and the previously mentioned overdrive options (2 total) included with the truck whether you pick it up RTR or as a kit. Some people don't like the chunky diff housings, though. New aftermarket stuff is still being released for it every day.

I still love my Ascender, but eventually the aftermarket is likely to die out for it because all signs currently point to it being discontinued rather than new versions of it being released. It has its own minor issues with torque twist that can be overcome with some mods. If you get a good deal on one there's nothing wrong with picking one up as you can still mod it with what is out there for sale now.

So - instead of making it easier to choose - I may have made it harder!

:lmao:

Frankly if it were me, I'd get a TRX-4 for a first rig if you can afford one. Super easy to find parts for them, just budget for a replacement steering servo to be safe - and that really goes for all of these trucks - a simple DS3218 for between $15-$20 off Amazon or eBay to keep in your toolkit in case you fry it out on the trail is never a bad idea.

Lots of good points here. I think Durok hits the nail on the head and sums it up nicely. You can’t go wrong with any of those 3. All are solid players. The Ascender is a quality platform too, as others indicated the main concern there is parts/aftermarket support for the long term.

About your question regarding the trx4 and different bodies, there’s not really any truth to his statement. Fitting bodies on any chassis is more or less the same process, just pay attention to dimensions and wheelbase. The trx4 chassis rails are longer so if you opt for a shorter body like a Jeep JK/JL you’ll need to chop some material off the rails. Otherwise anything else should be fine.

Here are some videos of each truck if you’d like to check them out. The TRX4 and SCX10.2 are modified quite a bit and by no means box stock, but you’ll get an idea of what these platforms can do.

Enduro: this one is close to stock, wheels/tires/foams/wheel weights
https://youtu.be/0Fe16GQIfNs

TRX4
https://youtu.be/83p4EswsLDc

SCX10.2
https://youtu.be/00rreCKbkKA

in all honesty what ever rig you choose your gona have the other rig stuck i your head cause the grass is always greener on the other truck so heres what happens

your gona buy one then you will upgrade but that other truck is still i your head so you buy that truck too then you upgrade then it becomes more like your first truck and the other truck is still in your head and you will think well maybe that truck has it what ever it is that the 2 you already bought dont have so you end up with 3 trucks then you upgrade the

well you get the idea i recomend what ever rig is in your budget then buy the other rigs as funds allow
ONE IS NEVER ENUFF YOU MUST HAVE THEM ALL

I'm just sitting here on the sidelines with my dinosaur Ascender, but I'm not sure the Enduro is light years ahead of the SCX10ii. Other than the overdrive tansmission, what are the big advantages?
I'd say that the transmission is the biggest plus, but I also feel that the shocks are substantially better than Axial shocks (I mean, they hold fluid), and the price represents a better value. Most of the Axial RTRs with metal links and CVAs are going to be more expensive.

But, as Durok said, nothing is "lightyears" better than the SCX10 II. Anything then may have incremental improvements, but the overall crawler platform is pretty mature at this point. I just don't see the Axial has having any real advantage over the Enduro. The aftermarket is more robust to be sure, but every upgrade part that 50 companies make for the Axial is still available from at least a couple companies for the Enduro, so you still have all of the same upgrade capabilities, just not as many brands to choose from.

in all honesty what ever rig you choose your gona have the other rig stuck i your head cause the grass is always greener on the other truck so heres what happens

your gona buy one then you will upgrade but that other truck is still i your head so you buy that truck too then you upgrade then it becomes more like your first truck and the other truck is still in your head and you will think well maybe that truck has it what ever it is that the 2 you already bought dont have so you end up with 3 trucks then you upgrade the

well you get the idea i recomend what ever rig is in your budget then buy the other rigs as funds allow

:lmao:"thumbsup""thumbsup"

"thumbsup":lmao: you're so right ......

"ONE IS NEVER ENUFF YOU MUST HAVE THEM ALL"

The slope gets real slippery real quick! :lmao::lmao:

I was recently looking for the old Ultra-4 style rigs with 2 speed transmissions and I had several replies saying that 3s and modern electronics you really don't needthe 2 speed transmissions.

I didn't believe them but I did put together a cheap crawler with a Hobby King 45A Brushless sensored ESC and a cheap $39 Chinese 1750kV motor with a cheap $10 3S battery. It gives me way more wheel speed than I ever need with my heavy hard bodied trail truck and plenty of low end control and power.

I say this because I was originally looking at nothing but the TRX-4. Why get a TRX4 without two of it's biggest differentiators with the 2 speed transmission and locking difs? I thought I needed the 2 speed and unlocking difs to make the rig "fun" when not crawling. My experience with my recent build has taught me I don't need the complexity of the 2 speed transmission to get more when though speed to totally overload a suspension set up for trail running. Lockd or unlocked difs a truck set up with trail running suspension isn't going to be something you drift around in a gravel parking lock. If I were to chose a TRX4 today it would be a sport model for the simplicity.

For me the choice would be between the TRX-4 sport kit or the Element Enduro kit on 3 cell power. For me the choice between the two would come down to if I want portal axles in my rig or not. And that choice would probably be down to what body/tires I was planning on running. It's a hard choice and there is no wrong answer.

Back