• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Newbie Trying to Choose. Driving Myself Crazy

Man I can't believe all of the replies and good input I've gotten, thank you guys so much. It truly is a tough decision, but I'm glad to hear I can't really go wrong with the ones I have in mind. I've still been reading and watching a ton of videos to help me decide. I do have a couple more questions that I think will just about make up my mind...

-from what I can tell, the TRX is the more fitting truck for a primarily trail truck. The 2spd and unlockable diffs is what sets it apart for a trail truck. Do those added features break very often? And do they make a notable difference when in open space?

- I've seen it mentioned in this thread, and others as well. The Element has overdrive. Can you help me understand what that is? Does it translate to essentially faster speed comparable to the 2spd of the TRX?

Basically I have it narrowed to the TRX or the Element. In my head I picture the truck going faster than a brisk walk to keep up with me on short hikes (assuming the terrain isn't too rough), but also do some technical off-roading. Am I overreaching here, or would y'all say both these trucks will do that?

I've also seen builders kits, and I don't mean to complicate this, but I'm not opposed to doing one of those if you think just piecing one together to meet my desires would be better. I build scale models, and am also mechanically inclined so I don't think it'd be too difficult but if it's not necessary I would rather not go through the trouble.

Last edited:
Both trucks will do that easily.

The two speed is a gimmick, fun, but a gimmick. The unlocking diffs well I have never had a rig with that option.

3s and a 35 t motor will give you a light jog with proper gearing.

Over drive is when the front axle spins faster than the rear. Esentially pulling the front around. It makes a noticeable improvement in climbing and turning circles.

The unlocking diffs and the 2-speed in the TRX4 are controlled by small servos, and I've seen a number of people have those servos fail, but aftermarket replacements are inexpensive and easy to swap, so I wouldn't avoid the vehicle because of that. It's not like they usually fail right away.

The overdrive in the Enduro is not the type of overdrive that you're thinking of. In crawlers, overdrive refers to when the front wheels are overdriven with respect to the rear wheels. Essentially, there's a different gear ratio for the front than the rear, which makes the front wheels turn a bit faster. This is a significant benefit when crawling up steep rocks, but not really anything that you'll need or even want when just trail running. Fortunately, the truck comes with a standard gear set, but includes the overdrive in the box incase you want to use it. The Enduro is unique compared to other crawlers in that the overdrive is accomplished in the transmission instead of in the axle like in other trucks.

Basically I have it narrowed to the TRX or the Element. In my head I picture the truck going faster than a brisk walk to keep up with me on short hikes (assuming the terrain isn't too rough), but also do some technical off-roading. Am I overreaching here, or would y'all say both these trucks will do that?
are you sure i think you should buy both and run them for a while before you make up your mind as to which one you want then get the scx10ii just to make sure you made the right choice

theres enuff aftermarket parts available right now for the trx4 and the scx10ii that you can build.them almost copletely from aftermarket parts it costs a little but more but you will never need to upgrade and you can buy the parts alittle at a time to keep the costs down so in my opinion start with the enduro then build the other 2

Thank you again everybody for answering my questions! I still can't quote responses for some reason otherwise I'd reply individually. But your answers helped tremendously.

@ferp420 funny you should mention that. I think I have made my decision. I'm going to go with the Element for me, and hell I realized I don't want to leave my girlfriend out so she needs a TRX lol!

So yeah, basically I've decided to get both. The Element will be first, and the TRX will be following shortly after funds are available for a 2nd for the gf.

Thanks again for everybody's help! This is what makes these forums great! One day, I'll be knowledgeable enough to hopefully pay it forward for other newbies.

Back