• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Newb backyard course

smithksor

I'm starting to build my backyard course and I need some ideas. The area I have is very flat, so I got some free materials and started in on some building.

Looking for input as to what I could do for different ascents/descents off the platform. Trying to make it challenging without getting boring.

Thanks for the input!

qWypczq

https://imgur.com/yHL2nK5

https://imgur.com/e7uVzRs

https://imgur.com/zq1acYH

Not knowing what free materials you have, best advice I can give is start laying the stuff down by your imagination.
Then drive your truck over it. You will soon find out what works and what doesn't.
You will also be amazed by what your truck will crawl over, as well as what it won't.

Another words, just do it, even if it doesn't work. Then change stuff til it does 8)

Looks like you're off to a good start. I think that searching "rc backyard crawl course" or something to that effect... as well as looking thru the RCC pages at what others have done, will give you some great ideas.

From your pictures it looks like you have built obstacle specific parts for a course. In the course my son is building, he has been starting at one obstacle and then worked a path to the next obstacle that was enjoyable.

He dug deep to create trenches with bridges that cross over them.

He used old tires and built up around them so he could drive up over them and under them.

He used some old 30 gallon drums, cut the ends off, and used those same way he used the tires.

He attached chicken wire to a 2X4 and placed it across a water crossing, at an incline, and slanted as a side hill. Looks cool and also can challenge rigs that don't side hill well.

He built a mud hole run digging 3 deep holes one after the other that is after exiting one of his tunnels. You can avoid the mud by taking a different path around the course or go mud puddle jumping.

He cuts branches off of trees and then screws them to two 2X4's. These are used on an incline or for a bridge. Depending on how you build them they can really challenge your rigs ability. He stacks the branches he screws in different ways to make it challenging to get over without flipping off the side.

He has been using old crap he finds as a base so he does not have to use as much dirt. He found an old wheel barrel, flipped it upside down, builds a mound of dirt on it, adds rocks into the dirt, and lastly mixes up some cement to cover it with so it does not erode away.

It depends on what you are looking for. Are you looking to build a lot of different obstacles that you can simply drive over or are you looking for a course that has multiple paths to take through the course offering different lines and challenges.

Just started my own BYC...living in Eastern NC is NOT like my old Colorado crawl-scape! I have gathered various scrap materials from different people/places, all for absolutely free!!! All i have purchased is a very Small amount of lumber, two boxes of screws (2.5in, and 3in), and 5 or six bricks from home depot that were 78cents each.

Bear in mind, ive only been into Hobby RC since roughly 4 months ago. Im 29. I LOVE this hobby, and, having a past-time in CO of 1:1 rock crawling....fell quickly in love with a Danchee Ridgerock RTR from Redcat Racing (MOA, 4-mode-4WS) under 200 bucks! Its WAY lighter than my TRX4 sport, but DEFINITELY & (obviously) turns much tighter, and climbing ladders, 2-rails, etc, i find the "crab walk" mode to be extremely useful!

I started with a RedCat Racing Lightning EPX Pro, followed by several Hosim hobby eBay/amazon cheapos which most have been great as well!

I digress....heres my 2.5 days of adding more free scraps to the corner of my back yard, including MULTIPLE re-do's/layout changes.
34f59207e08cb9731052e9c09d25ec81.jpg
90052ddf39ccf244d69dfea39729021b.jpg
30cd41fdbe4a6c0830699e69645c2dad.jpg
87e8cdcc28f527aa041915c91deb1346.jpg
1ca36eadd8d6f48c1ddf3d9e83777e9a.jpg
7e735c8c6cc4975a2161a1203943d277.jpg
fee24161f24f1e48a90c54fcffdb3bbb.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Back