• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

New guy with a question...

I've never bought a hobby grade rc car and I'm really wanting to build one from the ground up. I thought about getting a chassis kit that needs electronics. What all would I need for a complete running vehicle?

Radio with transmitter
Steering servo
Battery and charger
Wheels and tires
Body

What am I missing?

Also with the radio What do the channels mean? I'd like to run lights and stuff in the future so should I look for a 4 to 5 channel?

Is know I should probably just get a rtr but I really want the model kit type since I like building things and it'll help me figure out how it all works.

Kits are not too common these days, almost everything is RTR. Seems the current preference for manufacturers is to provide chassis kits rather than what I would consider full build kits. Having said that, if you;re looking for the challenge of a build, some (not many) of the kits that are still available come with most of what you need - for example the Traxxas kit 82016-4 gives you basically everything, except a battery, charger and a body.

If you can find one, Axial used to make some kits that just needed electronics (ESC, motor, radio & receiver).

Either Axial or Traxxas will have great aftermarket support. There are also other brands that might present a bit more of a challenging build - GMAde, CrossRC both come to mind. You'll need electronics for both (CrossRC typically come with a brushed motor though) but they come with wheels, tires, body etc.

The other option (and it sounds ridiculous I know) is to get an RTR then take it apart and put it back together. If I ever get around to getting an SCX6 that's likely what I'll do :D

Whatever you find, most websites provide a list of everything you need to complete it, and some may offer a combo.

Keep us informed of what you decide!

*EDIT*

*As a minimum you need a 2 ch radio
Ch 1 to turn, Ch 2 to burn, aka throttle
If more if wanted than a radio that has Ch 3, 4, for accessories like lights, winches, etc, can be purchased for a few more bucks.

*Tools that fit every piece of hardware to take your toy apart and to put back together the same way without spares. Maybe a power driver if you're an old man with old hands like me

Esc/motor and servo. Not sure what application your doing, but get one that has more speed/power than what you need and is waterproof. That way = NO PROBLEM

Batteries, not sure how versed you are with lipo batteries but watch a few videos to get familiar. When ready get a explosion/fireproof bag, a lipo charger and the battery of choice.

Tires, wheels, body, vehicle type that's up to you.

Last edited:
I've never bought a hobby grade rc car and I'm really wanting to build one from the ground up. I thought about getting a chassis kit that needs electronics. What all would I need for a complete running vehicle?

Radio with transmitter
Steering servo
Battery and charger
Wheels and tires
Body

What am I missing?

Also with the radio What do the channels mean? I'd like to run lights and stuff in the future so should I look for a 4 to 5 channel?

Is know I should probably just get a rtr but I really want the model kit type since I like building things and it'll help me figure out how it all works.
Radio - Radiolink RC6GS V3, about 80.00 USD. But has 7 channels so plenty of room for additions like lights, winch, dig etc.

Buy one Cry once with Electronics. Sure you can get a 40.00 servo off amazon, but it'll be a 10.00 servo that has been marked up 400%.
Buy a Reefs, Shifts etc. AFGRC even (make both the reefs and shifts servos). But there is a reason some electronics are pennies are others are 10 spots. Quality Costs.
Same with the ESC/Motor setup. Buy something brand named that is good. Castle Creations, Hobbywing, Holmes Hobby, even the Spektrum stuff (made by Hobbywing) is good). Avoid low/no named items. Avoid Buying from Ali Express or Amazon or Ebay even.

I would suggest at least the Axial SXC10.3 kit that was just released. SCX10.2/SSD Trail King Kids are also very good.
Vanquish probably has one of the nicest kits around. But they are a bit more spendy.

Yeah- Tools. Depending what you get, a 2mm hex driver at the very least.. although you may need other sizes. Look for handles that you think will suit you well. I personally prefer something thinner as I can spin them faster. I've actually been really happy with a set I got off Amazon.. They were cheap and have held up well. Also length.. longer shafts aren't necessarily better but your more limited with short hex-drivers.

You may be good with whatever factory motor for a while ( Traxxas motors for example are generally reliable) but Holmes Hobbies motors are a great bang for the buck.. inexpensive/ quality. Depending again what rig you get, the Hobbywing 1080 ESC would almost certainly be a good upgrade and around $40 shouldn't break the bank. Lots of peramiter settings and easy to program ( card now sold seperately unfortunately).

Also don't dismiss that decent radios/ receivers can be found on Amazon as well... starting around $40... but I also recommend Amain and RPP if you want to contribue to qood American RC retailers that truly support the hobby.

I should probably just get a rtr but…
Yes you should.

Save your self some time and frustrations. Along with the RTR buy 2 (two) - 2s lithium batteries along with a ac/dc charger and a universal tool kit. Take the kit apart and then put it back together.

I do remember you posting about only having enough money for a WPL too…

Another downside to a kit is that kits are just more expensive to build.

Not so much that they HAVE to be, but when given the choice of electronics, wheels / tires, body... You're typically going to select more expensive options than an RTR will come with.

Unless you have lots of self control, the kit idea will be more expensive in the short term AND the long term. You'll have a rad truck though!

Plus an RTR will also show you the mechanical ins and outs of the truck. All of the major brands come with pretty detailed exploded diagrams in the manual showing you precisely how to put them back together after you've taken them apart.

Here's OUR next question for YOU, whats your budget?

Here's OUR next question for YOU, whats your budget?
Budget is pretty lot atm. I want to stay with the 1/10 scale, I don't know if I'm using the proper term here but I'd really like to build a "scaler truck", or "trail truck". I don't necessarily want a rock crawler, I'd like to crawler up some rocks but I'd also like to cruise around on any terrain and possibly haul ass around some parking lots from time to time. So in other words I'd like to build a super realistic rc truck, something I can build a full interior with dash and seats in time ive always liked those kits that make the steering wheel turn when the wheels actually turn, and possibly a detailed engine bay with a false engine. Of cours3 all that will be in the far far future but I want to make sure I buy the right chassis so I can do all those thing to it in the future. It's gonna be my first ever adult rc car but I won't be bashing and smashing it around. I'm pretty careful with my stuff. I used to build extremely detailed 1/25 scale model lowriders and mini trucks when I was a teenager up until my mid 20s and just recently built my first model car in like 10 years and then I started looking around on Instagram at rc crawlers and rc drift cars and remembered that I've always wanted to get into the big boy remote control vehicles. Nowadays the rc world is WAY crazier than when I was a kid. I had no freaking idea that people were still into this stuff and it's amazing how much shit has evolved from when I last even thought about it. Especially now that we have access to 3D Printing and all that shit. Almost anyone with a little but of knowledge (and a bunch of money) can make literally ANYTHING they can think of right in the comfort of their own home.

Anyways I'm so sorry for the rambling I do that quite a bit as I really have no life haha. So what would you guys recommend for me? Like I said I'm pretty damn poor at the moment so I'd really rather stay in the $150-$200 area. More like $150 and below. And YES I've been searching Facebook marketplace every single day hoping someone posts a bad ass used rig with a bunch of spare parts for like 100 bucks but no luck yet. I really don't think there's very many people that are interested in scale rc cars down here in New Orleans Louisiana.

Hahaha....

Boom, what you need is to wait for the 1/12 FMS jimny to go on sale for $100.Full interior, turn signals, 2 speed, can go slow, haul azz. All that

Boom, what you need is to wait for the 1/12 FMS jimny to go on sale for $100.Full interior, turn signals, 2 speed, can go slow, haul azz. All that
I just looked that up and I'm not into that very much. Also really wanna stick with 1/10 scale. I'd much rather have a pickup truck or a jeep Cherokee body style. I really love the look of cen racing f250 but I'm not a ford guy really wish they made a Chevrolet version.

When you mention the Stampede... you're not going to be able to do much with it in regards to interior/ engine bay... not with the factory body anyway. The wheels/ tires on a Stampede aren't exactly scale either unless you're wanting to replicate a true monster truck. Also, the Stampede is not much of a trail truck when compared to rigs like a TRX4, Element, TF2, etc, etc. Hard-body rigs are typically more scale/ accurate in regards to interiors, engine bays, body lines, etc but lexan-bodied rigs have come a long way too and these days offer some pretty realistic details/ accessories. I feel like a TRX4 might suit you well but you're not going to find one for $150 unless used with potentially some broken/ missing parts that you'll have to address.

Stampede wheelies all the time, rolls over a lot. Fun but got boring to me real fast so it went away. Bashing ripping around I'd look at Arrma.

Are you looking for a crawler or basher?

There aren't many basher kits at all. I'd stay with Traxxas. They are the most common, their newer designs are unbeatable, and the parts, both replacement and aftermarket, are readily available. The Stampede isn't as bad as people think. Definitely takes more to roll over than expected, but it does wheelie a lot. The new 4x4 Stampede and Rustler are incredible trucks. Traxxas is also releasing a mini X-Maxx that looks to be a $250 beast.

For crawlers, look to Vanquish for a kit.

redcat gen7 not the best rig around but the price is right and since its basicly a clone of the og scx10 you can upgrade with axial parts rather cheap
a set of scx10.2 axles can be found for about $100 complete and ready to run and they will bolt on with out any issues for the most part you just need the servo on axle mount or convert to 3 link not really that hard and you can change the body down the road its a good place to start anyway

tamiya would be a decent option too but there prices jumped a few years ago and there not cheap anymore but probably the best first rc around ever of all times and there kits
the cc02 comes to mind off hand or a cc01 if you can find one anymore lol

the 1/6 jimny is on sale right now on alliX for dirt cheap if ya want to go that route
Just found this amazing item on AliExpress. Check it out!
$294.29 | Fms 1/6 Jimny Rc Model Rs Brown Ver. 2.4g Electric 4wd Off-road Crawler For Kids Gift Hot Item 1:6 Professional Adult Toy
is rated as a 6th scale but size wise its about the same as any other 10thscale rig
i beat the hell out of mine and its holding up really good

Last edited:
just checked Amazon they have some cheap lessthan brands like remo hobbies rgt and leanderangemendary or what ever it is basically just a rebranded redcat there are replacement parts available for them but there hard to find better off just upgrading to axial parts when they break

these are basicly completed kits i say that cause your gonna need to rebuild them completely eventually so basicly its just a running driving kit you take apart and put good stuff on it
the up side is you have something for referance and you can see first hand what the upgraded parts do to its performance

I hope you find something that works well for you for $100 budget then, and checks all your checkmarks.

Back