• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

NEW: Enduro Portal Axles

smog

Slow is the new Fast
Subscribed Member

Looks like a new axle kit from Element for the Enduro platform.

Thankfully they use the updated axles, with the larger output bearing

Nice that they made portals to give people options.

The “rear is a locked out front” axle setup is lame. I saw Element trying to sell it as an option for adjustable rear toe but they don’t even give you turnbuckle links to make adjustment easy. This isn’t the first time Element has clearly cheaped out on something and tried to sell it as a benefit.

The “rear is a locked out front” axle setup is lame. I saw Element trying to sell it as an option for adjustable rear toe but they don’t even give you turnbuckle links to make adjustment easy. This isn’t the first time Element has clearly cheaped out on something and tried to sell it as a benefit.

I agree, that feels like a huge cheap out.

Although I am sure plenty of people will want to use them for 4ws conversions, I’d rather have a normal rear axle.

I hate to be negative on new releases, but yeah… at least companies are putting out new stuff

On the plus side, if it's got the same differential housing as the element straight axles, you can flip the ring gear from side to side to change axle rotation. So could work for lots of different set ups and weird modifications.

Had to flip the ring gear in a straight axle this week so it rotated the same as the ifs2 front conversion kit. Could also have flipped the front but that was more work.

Looks pretty good. I'm curious to see what their next kit will be to feature these axles and if it will come with 4WS.

The locked out rear axle is kind of a cop out because it's something that could develop play in the long run. Element's stock pivot hardware isn't great.

Overall, something I may consider for my Ecto.

I just ordered a set. I have a builders kit on the shelf. I may build it with these or just hold onto them.

This is pretty cool. Opens up Element builds. More options are always good for the hobby. The locked rear reminds me of how MST did their CFX-W (same idea).

As for grabbing a set, I don't think I'll be purchasing.

Damn, the last kingdom of straight axles has fallen, Element has succumbed to the bells and whistles of the portals.

I didn't notice that until you said it. That is so tacky! Cheap Chinese engineering right there. Is this Associated or Injora. About what I expect from the modern day Associated.

I'm not in the market for these anyway because I don't own any Elements and really do not have any interest in the brand, but I think this design choice right here summarizes what I think of Element - basic, cheap and stuck in the past. They went the same cheap, half-step with their "front motor" Stealth XF transmission.

Personally I really enjoy the approach Element has taken. Overall they have stuck to the classic design. C-Channel crawlers have not really changed much.

Element has designed an excellent transmission that is whisper quiet and geared well. They developed a modular system of easily interchangeable suspension and axle parts. Some choose to complain about their axles. Yeah, the pumpkins are too big and the bearings are too small. Whatever. To Elements credit they did eventually rectify the bearing size. In my experience it was never a major issue, but was happy to see the housings updated. They bigger bearings last longer.

The rear portal design with the lockout system is pretty lame at first glance. However if you want to run 4WS you likely saw it differently. In that case it looks pretty sweet. Two front axles in one box. Anyone who has been around a day knows that it's quite likely an aftermarket piece will come out to eliminate the turnbuckle lockout.

Element does some odd stuff, but they have a great little ecosystem. Clearly it isn't for everyone, but I really enjoy it.

I was excited to see these new portals from Element. I instantly thought they would be a great choice for a mullet build that I've always wanted to build since the diff can be flipped easily. Then...I saw that they are using a front axle for the rear and added links to it. Not a fan of that. I'd rather see a solid rear straight axle. I'll probably pass on this axle set.

Like @smog said, Element does some weird stuff sometimes, but all in all, they did create a great platform for custom builds. I have built many Element rigs and all have been fun to build and are fun to drive.

Built the portal axles yesterday. Built the v2 kit today and put the portals under it.
Note to self. Don't watch movies and assemble a truck at the same time. I picked up the wrong screw a few times. I had to back step once or twice to get the screw. Oops! I need sleep.

Back