• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

need high torque, sensored motor @ ~100 watts

UncleJoe1985

I would like a high torque motor (30 oz-in @ 5760 rpm) for souping up a Scorbot 3 robot arm I bought. I really need it to be sensored to allow high startup torque and to count the number of revolutions. I have spent hours searching, but haven't really found much, probably due to the odd requirement of high torque and hall sensors.

The closest thing I have found is the Revolver S Stubby by J. Holmes, who made it specifically for crawlers. But it's still not available for purchase.

I also found this, but the 1500 Kv is a bit too high for me:
Team Novak Ballistic 25.5T

I've found other RC car motors, but they're usually too big. Ideally, the motor should be < 1.5" long.

Can someone recommend any motors that fit my need or how I can mod an existing motor?

I was also thinking of adding hall sensors to an existing motor or
rewinding a motor with more turns to increase torque (decrease Kv), but don't know if either approach is practical or which motors would allow such a mod?

I'm not familiar with any brushless motor much over 25 turns. In fact I didn't know they went that high until reading your post. You could try hobbyking.com as they have a decent range of motors, possibly you could find a Kv rating as low as your looking for. The quality might not be the best, but generally speaking their products get the job done.

Holmes revolver black motors are brushless and around 1000 Kv but are sensorless. With the low speed motor you are looking for, you might be able to get away with brushless given that it won't jump too much with such a low Kv rating. Then again I have no idea about your application.

Good luck!

UJ, frankly I would PM/email Holmes Hobbies. If he does not have what you want, he may be able/willing to do what you need.

He does a lot besides RC crawler stuff, and may be able to help.

If you email/PM him, tell him "Charlie-III" sent you.8)

I haven't been able to get production volumes of sensored outrunners going yet, but we do pop out custom motors for robotics when needed. I can either help you make one, or do a one-off. Send an email to me if you haven't already, I'll be catching up from the weekend emails tomorrow.

Back