• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Natedog's Vaterra ASCENDER

X2 they are both tuning options. I'm not using either at the moment but am happy to see good vendors stepping up and making some sweet parts for us and I've seen them both used in successful Ascender setups. :)

Works great for me, what bar are you running inside the green fuel line? Any of the included bars should work, the softest one is plenty and the medium and firm bars are way overkill. Do you have a flex pic from the rear with it installed and crawling?

If the bar is inside the green plastic. can not distinguish which is soft, medium or strong. Some help with this?

I'll take some pictures, when I notice has private message.

I answered in your thread, but answering here too just in case. Softest bar has the most machined away in the middle where it is thinner (narrower). Pictures always help.

Went out to play and test again, steel sliders made by Codyboy worked great, all tucked in nice and tight, sliding around stuff way better than stock.

Stock tires are simply amazing once broken in and running CI DW foams for PitBull Rockbeast2s! It was cool, mostly overcast and moist day. First pic here just to get a different angle to get a better feel for the ledge it's climbing.

Last edited:
More CI DW 1.9" foams!!!

From left to right narrowest to widest foam, CWR-3008 (4.6 - 4.4" tall tires), CWR-3001 (Pitbull Rockbeast), CWR-3005 (Pro_line TSL XL)

Photobucket keeps turning this one upside down, even though it's right side up before I uploaded it. Never been a problem with them before...I submitted support request to them, so we'll see.

Last edited:
So which foams are you using in the tsl's? The rock beast foams or the 4.4-4.6" foams? I've got measure my tsl's to compare. How tall are yours with foams and mounted to wheels?
Ben

DIMENSIONS (from smallest to largest), would be nice if CI listed these on their site as it would make foam selection much easier especially when buying foams for tires that are not listed and/or tuning. To get these measurements I sighted across the tire to square up the ruler at the edges and measured at two spots on every foam just in case. They do have very slight variations and some of the edges have a little fuzz on them all of which makes an exact measurement difficult, but I know this info would have helped me many times over when purchasing foams. :)

CWR-3008 (4.6 - 4.4" tall tires)
97mm (3 13/16") OD, 34mm (1 3/8") wide
Little too narrow for Vaterra TSL.

CWR-3001 (Pitbull Rockbeast)
98mm (3 7/8") OD, 37mm (1 7/16") wide
The best fit without any trimming, this is what I've been using and am currently using with great results in Vaterra TSL.

CWR-3005 (Pro_line TSL XL)
115mm (4 1/8" ) OD, 39mm (1 1/2") wide

So bottom line, the CWR-3001 foams for Pitbull Rockbeast are great when new.
CWR-3005 might be great, but definitely needs ribs trimmed to smaller OD and then test fit. :)

Last edited:
So which foams are you using in the tsl's? The rock beast foams or the 4.4-4.6" foams? I've got measure my tsl's to compare. How tall are yours with foams and mounted to wheels?
Ben

I'm using:
CWR-3001 (Pitbull Rockbeast)
98mm (3 7/8") OD, 37mm (1 7/16") wide
The best fit without any trimming, this is what I've been using and am currently using with great results in Vaterra TSL.

Tires are about 112.7125mm (4 7/16") tall but squish a little at the bottom if I set it on the ground.

Last edited:
Natedog, do you off board the front shocks? It doesn't look like there is much room... Also for the rear does this look right? I need to pick up longer hardware.

Rear

Front

I did. Picked up spacers from McMaster Carr. Various sizes. Think I'm using 1/8 inch or 3/16. And longer hardware.

I don't outboard any of my shocks and there's just enought room up front because it has so much steering. :) Edit, there's just enough room to outboard the shocks up front.

Your rear picture will work, but Iirc most peeps keep the lower link between the mounting brackets on the axle...try it both ways and see! :)

Last edited:
Left to right,
CWR-3008, CWR-3001, CWR-3005 with both middle ribs trimmed out, full size CWR-3005.

CWR-3005 in various trimming stages, I'm going with the one on the right.

Last edited:
Nate, if I'm seeing this right it looks like your choice will have no grooves, therefore, not much give. Is that correct?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sammy, Correct no grooves. Cut foam is same OD as the CWR-3001 (For Pitbull Rockbeast), but without any grooves and tiny bit wider. It felt the best installed in Vaterra TSL with the workbench squeeze test. "thumbsup"

It will be interesting to hear how they perform since you already have experience with the Rock Beast foams.

I stole my RB foams from my Vaterra TSLs to put in my new Rock Beasts, so I need new foams for my TSLs. Let us know!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OK, will do. I anticipate they will work as well as the Rockbeast CWR-3001 foams in most situations with even little better side-hilling (which is already very good) but may favor more horsepower...in which case they will go on a different set of Ascender axles.

OK, will do. I anticipate they will work as well as the Rockbeast CWR-3001 foams in most situations with even little better side-hilling (which is already very good) but may favor more horsepower...in which case they will go on a different set of Ascender axles.

Hey Nate, nice info on the foams. Having the sizes you are using is a great tool to have. I make my own closed cell foams with different size hole saws for OD and ID. And then shape and size on my wood lathe and router table.
I hope the rock sliders have help out your handling. Can you notice a difference with that little bit of weight down low?
Ernie,"thumbsup"

Back