• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

My Fj40 Mini Me Build Support - Getting Started

CSD1982

Hi,

I have minimal experience and knowledge on RC cars. I'm pretty good with the real thing. Since it's so dam cold during the winter here in Chicago and I don't like to wrench on my Fj40 when its below 40 degrees I figured building a RC version of the real deal would be awesome."thumbsup"

With that said I have been doing a lot of reading and making a parts list of all that I want. I'm amazed I can even get my real rims (Method 105 beadlocks) and tires (Maxxis) in the mini version.

I think I have a good idea about what I need by reading a few things hear and looking around rc4wd. But before I start blasting off questions I figured to start with the chassis and body.

I dont know which Fj40 body would be best or what frame to use. I want the most realistic Fj40 body start with and I want my rig to be on leaf springs and not a linked suspension as well as be a good crawler.

It seems my only body options are Tamiya or rc4WD? Are there other options? What is better and more realistic? Can they both be used with any chassis?

As for the chassis. I'm looking at a rc4wd Trail Finder II SBW (however cannot find the SBW for sale on rc4wd only regular version....) because I know it works with leaf springs while the Glendale II seems to be setup only for link suspension. However I have also read about a Tamiya chassis called a bruiser or something but cannot find any info on it to buy. What frame might people suggest and what FJ40 body will it work with?

Since my real FJ40 is large (wider axles Fj80 and fj60, 37's etc) I want this RC to be big and a very capable crawler. However I dont like how the Tamiya Fj40 crawler looks. As well as I think it would be more fun to build my own then use a kit.

For suggestions take money out of the equation at this point.

Any help would be great.

Here is the what I'm modeling it after :flipoff:

image1-jpg.1367100

Last edited:
Buy the Gelande II kit with Cruiser body and do a leaf conversion. There's at least one done by pardonmyn00b. Plop and done. Close enough for jazz.

I was going to say SWB kit and put the body on, but that is about 1" too short.

I just found GELANDE II TRUCK KIT W/CRUISER BODY SET in stock at RC4WD's site, then you wouldn't have to peice it together. :)
Gelande II Truck Kit w/Cruiser Body Set

RppHobby has it, they are super fast shipping too. I would buy here, use thier coupon code, get ESC, motor, batteries, charger radio, etc. "thumbsup"
http://www.rpphobby.com/product_p/rc4z-k0051.htm

Tower has it:
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXGLFZ&P=FR&gclid=CPfBl5zevdECFU6CfgodHGkNjw

Last edited:
How about a rc4wd Trail Finder II SBW and a Tamiya body? May have to adjust the WB a bit, but there's your leaf springs and body. Tamiya's bodies are very nicely detailed, I think that would work out well.

I was going to say SWB kit and put the body on, but that is about 1" too short.

I just found GELANDE II TRUCK KIT W/CRUISER BODY SET in stock at RC4WD's site, then you wouldn't have to peice it together. :)
Gelande II Truck Kit w/Cruiser Body Set

RppHobby has it, they are super fast shipping too. I would buy here, use thier coupon code, get ESC, motor, batteries, charger radio, etc. "thumbsup"
RC4WD Gelande II Truck Kit w/Cruiser Body Set

Tower has it:
TowerHobbies.com | RC4WD 1/10 Gelande II 4WD w/Cruiser Body Set RTR

What would be too short the frame or the body?

How about a rc4wd Trail Finder II SBW and a Tamiya body? May have to adjust the WB a bit, but there's your leaf springs and body. Tamiya's bodies are very nicely detailed, I think that would work out well.

When you say WB do you mean the Tamiya body is wider than the Glendale body so it would make the axles look to narrow? I saw you can buy wheel spacers.

Buy the Gelande II kit with Cruiser body and do a leaf conversion. There's at least one done by pardonmyn00b. Plop and done. Close enough for jazz.

OK I will search for pardonmyn00b content and read up on this. I was not sure if you the glendale II frame allowed leafs.

This is what I will do..........soon! I have most of the parts but just need the knowledge and courage for the leaf conversion. I have been reading many threads and see a few awesome builds. I hope to be half as good. "thumbsup""thumbsup""thumbsup"

When you say WB do you mean the Tamiya body is wider than the Glendale body so it would make the axles look to narrow? I saw you can buy wheel spacers.

Wheelbase is the distance between front and rear axles... the SWB kit is made for the Tamiya jeep - the FJ body is slightly longer. You'd have to figure out about 10mm more. Don't think it would be too difficult.

Your thinking about track width. The axles would look aggressive with the right wheels for sure. There's a few builds on here with that chassis, but none with a FJ body I believe.

Just as an aside, I've got quite a few of the Tamiya bodies. Semi agressive...
239sm_zpsxg1utsbx.jpg

Now very aggressive stance
IMG_0603_zpscmyvc4rx.jpg

Last edited:
This is what I will do..........soon! I have most of the parts but just need the knowledge and courage for the leaf conversion. I have been reading many threads and see a few awesome builds. I hope to be half as good. "thumbsup""thumbsup""thumbsup"

This does look like the best option to start than I can customize what I want, tires, rims, motor, etc

I have searched the form but the only Glendale II to spring conversion I found was you post. However looks like you are doing a SUA. I want to do a SOA. Can you share with me any posts you found on spring conversion?

Wheelbase is the distance between front and rear axles... the SWB kit is made for the Tamiya jeep - the FJ body is slightly longer. You'd have to figure out about 10mm more. Don't think it would be too difficult.

Your thinking about track width. The axles would look aggressive with the right wheels for sure. There's a few builds on here with that chassis, but none with a FJ body I believe.

Just as an aside, I've got quite a few of the Tamiya bodies. Semi agressive...
239sm_zpsxg1utsbx.jpg

Now very aggressive stance
IMG_0603_zpscmyvc4rx.jpg

I like that! What size rims and tires are on the lower image?

Leaf conversion on a Gelande 2 Cruiser is definitely the way to go. You'll get a full interior (unlike the Tamiya body, which is a shell only), and the truck performs great. I did a step-by-step set of instructions on how to convert using nothing more than a drill, a Dremel and a few off-the-shelf RC4WD parts:

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/1-9-scale-rigs/552268-how-convert-links-leafs-gelande-chassis.html

The truck drives great. Here's a video of it in action:
https://youtu.be/CtyahqDzweg

Good luck and keep us posted! "thumbsup"

Back