• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.
I saw many posts with using a silver Sharpie marker to add some effects to some pieces. Luckily, i had one laying around. and WOW, I love the effect. I went a little crazy on the RX box, grille, and dash. Big recommendation to all!

2015-02-09195542.jpg

2015-02-09195551.jpg

2015-02-09195557.jpg

Picked up a can of paint/primer to give the TF2 a new look. due to the weather, my painting needed to take place in the basement with a heater. Not ideal but it worked. My black can happened to be empty so i need to pick up some more today so i can do the final details.

Will post some getting lighted pictures later, Left most of the parts in the basement to cure. (i did set up an exhaust fume fan :p )

2015-02-09195210-1.jpg

Stripped the wiring kit and all non-attached pieces

2015-02-11180057.jpg

Some masking off... Took vinyl off too. Will go back on once everything dries

2015-02-11180049.jpg

Bad shot but its Blue!!

2015-02-11184820.jpg

Bumper didnt need to make coats so i started putting it back together. Cab and Bed spent the night curing downstairs.

2015-02-11225439.jpg

Paint all finished up. It has been some crazy snow weather here so i am eager to see when it clears up how it is in the daylight. So far i am liking it a lot, BUT i did foul it up a little. I tried to see to mask off the blue to paint the trims black. This resulted in the tape not sticking where i needed and creating a texture on the paint. Luckily it is only view able at certain angles.

2015-02-15223829.jpg

2015-02-15223806.jpg

Since the tape/spray paint idea didn't work out, I used a sharpie. Haha, it actually worked pretty good!

2015-02-15223837.jpg

Also, for valentines day, my girlfriend joined in the truck build and surprised me with a few items. All on order but should be here soon!

"Not a scale truck without working wipers"
_57.jpg

HR Shackles (4)
_571.jpg

And my favorite!!

_573.jpg

_572.jpg

Funny thing being that the demo truck is roughly the same color i just painted mine.

^^ will that rack fit the RC4WD bed? Isnt that one meant for the Tamiya Hilux bed as its not dropped?

^^ will that rack fit the RC4WD bed? Isnt that one meant for the Tamiya Hilux bed as its not dropped?

The seller noted it will fit. Here is another shot of the tabs to mount it to the inner walls of the bed. Down side is that it does not come with screws but i have plenty of those.

_57-1.jpg

Wipers came in today. Admit, were a pain to get positioned just right. It has a VERY low torque motor so any resistance, it just stops.

2015-02-18193220.jpg

Had to drill out the wiper holes a little so they moved somewhat smoothly.

2015-02-18193223.jpg

and lots of jerry-rigging the stock brackets and hot glue

2015-02-18204801.jpg

But it works!

http://youtu.be/jPntYMqRDEs

Should get the rack within the next day or so. Looking forward to getting that mounted.

Very cool! "thumbsup"

Thanks! I am happy how it is coming along so far. I am thinking i need to figure out a different way to power on the rig or even a new battery location. With all the wiring and the wipers (they somehow perfectly straddle the transmission, what luck!) taking the body on and off is pushing my luck with damaging something.

Thanks! I am happy how it is coming along so far. I am thinking i need to figure out a different way to power on the rig or even a new battery location. With all the wiring and the wipers (they somehow perfectly straddle the transmission, what luck!) taking the body on and off is pushing my luck with damaging something.

Yeah I know what you mean. It's quite a chore getting mine off and on with the five Futaba mini connectors for the lighting. Yours looks great though! "thumbsup"

Great looking rig and details. I love the decision to use your extra channel for wipers.

Yeah I know what you mean. It's quite a chore getting mine off and on with the five Futaba mini connectors for the lighting. Yours looks great though! "thumbsup"

Thanks guys! My wiring OCD always gets the best of me. I am still hoping to add an extra light bar once i get the rack installed. Since i am sharing a controller which is modded for my Tamiya Tundra, I will probably have to share the connection with the front bar. I have ran out of channels!

I may repeat what i did on my Tundra with using a spare RX as a power hub for all the lighting. On the Tundra it has its own BEC running off the battery. That would free up some channels and gain me some control back.

If i go a different way, Anyone know of a pistol grip controller with more than 5ch??

Thanks again for all the compliments guys!

Final parts day!!

The shackles and the rack came in today. The shackles were the perfect size and screwed right in. The pictures make them seem purple but they are blue aluminum.

2015-02-19210300.jpg

And now my fav, the rack!

It did not come with mounting screws which at first was a bummer but seeing how tucked into the body the nuts would be, i never would have been able to install it. not to mention having the wiring for the lights there.

So drilled a 2.5mm hole and used a 3mm button head to screw all 4 corners in.

2015-02-19214019.jpg

Tada!

2015-02-19214311.jpg

2015-02-19214332.jpg

2015-02-19214319.jpg

With the rack mounted, i can really start the feel the weight of the TF2. I will be sure to keep the wheels off the ground to stop from any flat spots from starting.

I will be sorting out how i power everything as my next step. Seeing if i need to consolidate some connections or leave it as it is. Will be sure to keep everyone posted!

Thanks!

The rack looks great. To offset the top heaviness, you may want to look into adding some weight to the wheels. I added 2 oz to each wheel in my D90 (which also has a rack), and it made a big difference to the handling.

The rack looks great. To offset the top heaviness, you may want to look into adding some weight to the wheels. I added 2 oz to each wheel in my D90 (which also has a rack), and it made a big difference to the handling.

I will deffinitly look into that once i get it outside and see how it really handles on the light off-roading i want to do with it. When i hold the truck in the air, it surprisingly has about a 50/50 ratio front to rear with weight balance. But of course that could be very different once i start driving.

X2 with new2rocks, certainly a noticeable difference with rolling weight added. My rig stayed planted and the performance was very noticeable.

X2 with new2rocks, certainly a noticeable difference with rolling weight added. My rig stayed planted and the performance was very noticeable.

I work at a car dealership so i could easily get some oz weights that they normally stick on tires. Could make those work for some freebies haha.

i would like one of those racks

Here is where my girlfriend ordered mine.

Custom Made Metal Cargo Roof Rack Tamiya 1 10 RC Toyota Hilux Pick Up Truck | eBay

He has a variety of designs for different models. The one i got was modeled after the RCmodelex rack. There is also one after the RC4WD rack. Quality is incredible and i am very happy. Not to mention the savings my girlfriend had.

I work at a car dealership so i could easily get some oz weights that they normally stick on tires. Could make those work for some freebies haha.

Here is where my girlfriend ordered mine.

Custom Made Metal Cargo Roof Rack Tamiya 1 10 RC Toyota Hilux Pick Up Truck | eBay

He has a variety of designs for different models. The one i got was modeled after the RCmodelex rack. There is also one after the RC4WD rack. Quality is incredible and i am very happy. Not to mention the savings my girlfriend had.

Lol! Same here, that's how I got my weights "thumbsup"

Back