• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Motor suggestions

Afterbang

Pebble Pounder
As the title implies, I'm looking for motor recommendations.
I was driving my capra last weekend, after I installed the front over drive gears and noticed some smoke coming from the rig when I stopped. I picked it up and could feel the heat coming from the skid plate when I picked it up. I'm very, almost certain it was coming from the motor, based on where the heat was coming from.
My question is, what should I replace it with? I'm leaning toward a holmes Hobbie motor, but I'm not sure witch to get.
I only use it to crawl, no need for speed. If I remember correctly, less turns is a faster motor. I'm not real sure what the differences are, other than available turns on the armature. Is appreciate any input!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Any axial motor of the same or higher turns will be fine, I understand Holmes makes some nice stuff though. You can also consider a switch to brushless if you want to spend some money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Any axial motor of the same or higher turns will be fine, I understand Holmes makes some nice stuff though. You can also consider a switch to brushless if you want to spend some money.

Dad! Haha, I looked at prices, the axial stuff seems to be about the same price for the holmes hobbies motor. Not sure why.
The motor burned out after I swapped gears, it sucks, probably my fault.
If I'm gonna spend the money, I'd rather get an upgrade. I have to reason to drive the capra at full speed, it's too fast for anywhere I drive it. I'd rather have more torque, and less speed. Brushless is definitely not on the radar. Slow with some extra power, I'm running 2.2s.

Tekin HD 35T or 45T is a great choice, usually around 50 bucks.
Doc, I'm definition on board with different options, but I'm very much on board with the 20$ tag.
Why would you choose the 35t over the 45t? Or chose versa?

If you’re not interested in keeping a higher speed go with the 45t. I think the Capra comes with a 35t right?

Lower turns, faster speed, less torque. Higher turns, lower speed, higher torque and better speed control at slower speeds.

The gear reduction in the Capra gearbox is seemingly non-existent-- I tried an 1800kv brushless motor in it and it was almost undriveably fast. A 35T is a good place to start, and will keep it above a walking pace. The 45T is a walking pace when pinned wide open.
So if you never drive it anywhere but rocks, the 45T is probably better, as there's no such thing as too much torque. Myself, I'm too lazy to carry a rig from the workshop to the rocks, so I drive there. Has to at least be able to stay in front of me.

The gear reduction in the Capra gearbox is seemingly non-existent-- I tried an 1800kv brushless motor in it and it was almost undriveably fast. A 35T is a good place to start, and will keep it above a walking pace. The 45T is a walking pace when pinned wide open.
So if you never drive it anywhere but rocks, the 45T is probably better, as there's no such thing as too much torque. Myself, I'm too lazy to carry a rig from the workshop to the rocks, so I drive there. Has to at least be able to stay in front of me.

Same here sir, I have a 45t in my wraith, any slower and I’d get irritated following it down the trail to the rocks [emoji846]

The gear reduction in the Capra gearbox is seemingly non-existent--

The Capra in stock form is definitely geared high, add to that o/d gears and 2.2’s, and I’m not surprised you cooked the motor.

I would consider increasing (numerically) your final drive ratio as much as possible. I believe you can go to an 11t pinion, which would be a good start.

If you’re budget conscious then I would recommend a Holmes Crawlmaster sport. I believe Holmes himself recommends the 16t for a Capra. (5 slot so turn count is different than 3 slot.

You could also go with the trailmaster sport which is a 3 slot, in a 35t, or 45t.

Im running a castle 2850 slate with a mamba micro in my Capra and I find it works great. It also has the OD gears in the front portal boxes. I did go down to an 11t pinion though.

The Capra in stock form is definitely geared high, add to that o/d gears and 2.2’s, and I’m not surprised you cooked the motor.

I would consider increasing (numerically) your final drive ratio as much as possible. I believe you can go to an 11t pinion, which would be a good start.

If you’re budget conscious then I would recommend a Holmes Crawlmaster sport. I believe Holmes himself recommends the 16t for a Capra. (5 slot so turn count is different than 3 slot.

You could also go with the trailmaster sport which is a 3 slot, in a 35t, or 45t.

Twade, that little bit of info is more helpful than you might think. I've got u/d gears for the back but haven't put them in.
I think I'm gonna get the crawl master, and I'll get an 11t pinion, I think I have one. Should I change the spur?

Twade, that little bit of info is more helpful than you might think. I've got u/d gears for the back but haven't put them in.
I think I'm gonna get the crawl master, and I'll get an 11t pinion, I think I have one. Should I change the spur?

I don’t believe you can increase the size of the Capra spur gear, but it’s not something I’ve looked into personally.

I went the route of installing an axial 3 gear transmission (as well as 10.2 axles) on mine, with the help of a UC Fab skid plate. But that likely isn’t completely necessary…

I don’t believe you can increase the size of the Capra spur gear, but it’s not something I’ve looked into personally.

I went the route of installing an axial 3 gear transmission (as well as 10.2 axles) on mine, with the help of a UC Fab skid plate. But that likely isn’t completely necessary…

Are the 10.ii axles solid?
I'll look into the spur gear.

I think (maybe wrong) you need an aftermarket housing to fit a bigger spur.

I think (maybe wrong) you need an aftermarket housing to fit a bigger spur.

Well, I think you made my research easier. I'll still do my due diligence, but I'm willing to bet you are correct.
Is there any way to monitor motor temp with the stock spektrum esc?

Don’t think so, you’d have to manually check as you run it

Don’t think so, you’d have to manually check as you run it

Hopefully a stronger motor will do the trick. Or I could go back to 1.9s, but it looks so good wroth the 2.2s

2.2" Pitbull Braven Berserkers. Ran this way on the Tekin HD 35T on 3S for a good long while. No issues.
rGlgOxu.jpg

Hopefully a stronger motor will do the trick. Or I could go back to 1.9s, but it looks so good wroth the 2.2s

I think a smaller pinion will help, and also assuming there’s nothing wrong elsewhere in the drivetrain, bad bearing, something bent, etc.

Good luck!

Back