• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Motor and esc combo

FreddyJ

Castle Creations 1/10 SCT Sidewinder WP ESC + 1410 3800kv Sensored Motor COMBO

Can this setup be used for trailing or is it too much Kv ?
Any help will be great, thanks.

Probably be a bit hot for Trailing. Not will get hot though it may, just that it may be too high KV.

FreddyJ, what rig? Already sounds like a lot of motor for trailing (3s?), but geared conservatively and lots of esc tuning might be okay.

I am running a Axial Honcho that I just started building. I was offered this combo and was told it might not work as I am a newbie and not real familiar with how to modify the motor for trailing so any help would be great. I do have a Cassle programming card if that helps, also I do have both 2 and 3 cell lipos
Thanks again ��

Last edited:
I’m not a fan of running 2s in a crawler or trail rig. Electronics actually run cooler and more efficient on 3s, or even 4s which is becoming more and more popular. However, given a high kv motor, I’d actually recommend trying it on 2s first and evaluating if the speed works for you. A lot of people run 2s so I’m sure it would be fine. Just keep an eye on motor and esc temps and adjust gearing if needed. Most important, keep things simple and have fun.

Thank you for the info, I might give this combo a try. I will keep a eye on the temps and see how it works. Thanks again👍

You can gear down as much as you can and use that motor, but you'll want a sensored esc to be able to crawl with it. It's going to cog bad with that esc. You should get a new esc to use, like the caslte mamba x or the copperhead. I've run that same motor with a mamba x and changed my pinion and spur from a 12/56 to an 8/62 and installed underdrive in the axles, and it crawled very well.
Another option if you want to save a few bucks is to run that esc with a Holmes hobbies revolver. They are loud little motors but out perform any other brushless motor as far as crawling goes. I'm just not to sure if the SCT sidewinder has the same software as the SW4 (sidewinder 4), so it might not be as smooth as the SW4, but it probably wouldn't be noticeable to a newbie.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Another option if you want to save a few bucks is to run that esc with a Holmes hobbies revolver. They are loud little motors but out perform any other brushless motor as far as crawling goes. I'm just not to sure if the SCT sidewinder has the same software as the SW4 (sidewinder 4), so it might not be as smooth as the SW4, but it probably wouldn't be noticeable to a newbie.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

JUST in case the OP likes that suggestion, I believe a member by the name of King Dork (hehe) has a mint Holmes 2200 Revolver in the sale section, along with a Castle SW4.

Castle Creations 1/10 SCT Sidewinder WP ESC + 1410 3800kv Sensored Motor COMBO

Can this setup be used for trailing or is it too much Kv ?
Any help will be great, thanks.

There is more than one Sidewinder but they are for unsensored motors. You can run a sensored motor but I don't think it will be that smooth at startup or low speed. I don't think I would use this set up for a crawler, may be great for a bouncer.

I was able to swap that motor and esc out for this, Castle Creations Mamba Micro X Crawler Esc w/ 1406-2280kv Sensored Motor Combo.
Let me know if this will work a bit better, thank you guys for all of your help, being new at this I have a ton of questions. Thanks for all the help👍

I was able to swap that motor and esc out for this, Castle Creations Mamba Micro X Crawler Esc w/ 1406-2280kv Sensored Motor Combo.
Let me know if this will work a bit better, thank you guys for all of your help, being new at this I have a ton of questions. Thanks for all the help👍

That should be better suited for a crawler.

Hey! Another newbie here. Somewhat related question, though maybe more toward gearing, but thought I’d jump in since thread seems active…Got my son a Bomber for Christmas. Not long after, decided to buy a Wraith Spawn for myself. Finally got to run it Friday afternoon and burnt up the motor after about 45 minutes. It was stock, running 3s LiPo. We were just bashing in the backyard. Went to the LHS, was told the stock motor isn’t made for running all out like I was. The didn’t have any 20T motors in stock, so I got an Axial 35T. Ultimately, my plan is to go brushless, but for now, what is my best bet for a setup? Plan on mainly backyard bashing and trails at local parks. Want to be able to keep up with the Bomber. I’m still trying to wrap my head around the ESC and motor combos, as well as gearing. The more I read, the more confused I get.

Stock ESC is AE5. Current motor will be an Axial 35T. Like I said, ultimately I will go brushless. For now, should I consider regearing?

TIA!

Best bet is a HobbyWing 1080 ESC plus Holmes Hobbies Trailmaster Sport 550 21t - totaling under $65...

It's a programmable ESC, and the motor has more than enough oomph to push the somewhat heavy Bomber around.

Keep stock gearing, 3S is no problem!

(Bombers really need that 550-sized can for the low-end torque increase over a standard 540 motor)

I installed the new mamba micro combo and it seemed to work until I turned it on and it was running in reverse. I was able to switch this through the Traxxas app but I noticed it has more rpm running in reverse than forward and I wasn’t able to figure it out. The aux function dosent seem to work either but who knows it might even be a compatibility problem with Traxxas, any help is welcome

Best bet is a HobbyWing 1080 ESC plus Holmes Hobbies Trailmaster Sport 550 21t - totaling under $65...

It's a programmable ESC, and the motor has more than enough oomph to push the somewhat heavy Bomber around.

Keep stock gearing, 3S is no problem!

(Bombers really need that 550-sized can for the low-end torque increase over a standard 540 motor)

Assuming you were replying to my post, sorry for the confusion, I was inquiring about the Wraith setup. For now, the Bomber is running fine stock.

I installed the new mamba micro combo and it seemed to work until I turned it on and it was running in reverse. I was able to switch this through the Traxxas app but I noticed it has more rpm running in reverse than forward and I wasn’t able to figure it out. The aux function dosent seem to work either but who knows it might even be a compatibility problem with Traxxas, any help is welcome

Definitely program the esc with the Castle Link and with the Castle app. Haven’t had to program anything on mine in a while but I’m quite certain you can reverse the motor direction and I would do it in the Castle app instead of the transmitter. I believe Traxxas motors run in the opposite direction as most. After any adjustments on the app be sure to recalibrate the radio and esc. As for the auxiliary wire, it may be disabled on the esc. You can enable/disable it with the app and Castle Link as well.

Back