• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Mini Crawler Indoor scale Course

valheru

Quarry Creeper
Update 1:

I started this project one year ago as a means to enjoy my then recently purchased 1/25 Pro-Line Ambush during our long Canadian winter months, but got pushed back because of my D90 Winch Challenge Pickup build (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/1-9-scale-rigs/597582-d90-winch-challenge-pickup.html).

After looking at what had been done by fellow mini/micro crawler owners on the net, I settled on making a “portable” 2’ x 4’ mini crawler indoor scale course.

The foundation of my indoor course consist of:

- 1” thick blue foam insulation boards;
- A variety of recycled cardboard packaging for laserjet printer toners (Thank you, office recycling bin!);
- Plastic mesh from the dollar store (I think it’s supposed to be used in DIY craft/home décor?!?);
- Expanding foam to fill in voids;
- One small wood log;
- 3M Super 77 Spray Adhesive; and
- Tons of hot glue sticks.

Cardboard packaging pieces where hot glued to the foam board to form the rough shape of the course, as well as foam shapes, cardboard patches and cut-out sections of the packaging, and carve out details in the foam, add obstacles and generally refine the shape of the course.

The plastic green mesh was added as a backing for whatever surface finish I will apply, either modified cement, plaster, truck bed liner, etc.

As part of the planning of the scale course layout, I am forecasting 6 differing access points; the 2 routes in green are direct access onto the mountain, while the 4 pink routes will be bridges or ramps.

D 8)

I keep putting off building myself a micro course. I bore easily after a few passes and move on especially when outdoors. I rarely repeat an obstacle unless there are multiple lines to be made

I wish someone would make a modular crawly course similar to Legos. Compressed/bricked recycled paper would be ideal.

I keep putting off building myself a micro course. I bore easily after a few passes and move on especially when outdoors. I rarely repeat an obstacle unless there are multiple lines to be made

I wish someone would make a modular crawly course similar to Legos. Compressed/bricked recycled paper would be ideal.

Easy enough to make, but planning obstacles and routes on modular square blocks that can be matched on all 4 sides with the others of the kit becomes the real pain.

Update 2:

Now that my D90 Winch Challenge Pickup build is near “completed” I have some progress on my mini crawler indoor scale course; the plastic mesh backing is finished as are the obstacles and carved access ramps into the foam in order to drive the crawlers onto the course directly from the ground.

Support structures were added where platforms, bridges and ramps will be installed as to get onto and move from one mountain to the other.

Utilizing branches from my cedar edge, a “make shift” section of the first ramp was built.

The grotto/garage was refined with details on the inside walls.

D 8)

Update 3:

I built one platform on my indoor scale course out of dollar store wood edging for flower beds, as well as one access ramps, the second being pieces of wood pallets. A bridge was also constructed out of more cedar branches, issued from yard work on my property.

D 8)

Update 4:

A third set of access ramps were added to the scale course, these ones are made out of bark from my neighbours stove wood pile.

D 8)

Update 5:

I decided to cover the whole structure with plaster cloth instead of modified cement as to keep the overall weight down.

Post-plastering, I am still uncertain if I will coat the plaster with bed liner, a thin layers of parging cement or other surface finish that provided grip and abrasion resistance.

The plastering finished and curing for a few days in the basement.

D 8)

This is a great build, and exactly like what I'm wanting to build. Did you ever "finish" it? Any pic's or info about how it worked out is greatly appreciated."thumbsup"

Update, update, update! Sorry i know this thread is way old, but i still want to know. [emoji16]

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Back