• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Metal body Toyota Hilux 1982

dottycfn

Subscribed Member
1vSoItrdSrk6IlmKqMf4RcgWWIyrs9e5H
It was a long journey. From desire to implementation, from shy dreams to making them come true. I learned a lot along the way. Patience, metal fabrication/car bodywork and more. Let me show you road to build metal body Toyota Hilux 1982yr.

I started thinking about building a metal body 10 years ago. Nissan Patrol K160. It was so ugly..
k160_metal.JPG

k160_parts.JPG

k160_build02.JPG

Next, made in similiar way - Jeep Cherokee XJ:
xj_build01.jpg

xj_action.jpg

Between 2015 and 2016 I made Suzuki Samurai pickup/flatbed:
samurai_parts.jpg

samurai_build03.jpg

samurai_comp.jpg

samurai_crash.jpg

After that I had no time to rebuild that body or improve my skills in bodywork.

I started learning metal work on real cars in my garage. After a few years, I returned to the idea of a metal body for my rc car. This time I wanted to do it right...

Hilux_demo.JPG

It's late here in Poland. I'll continue tomorrow...

Last edited:
They look great no matter what you say. Did you end up pounding out the Samurai or making new? I can’t wait to see more.

Did you end up pounding out the Samurai or making new? I can’t wait to see more.

Samurai unfortunatelly has ended up in salvage. But thanks to it hilux was born.

All ideas start here:
LW01.jpg

I knew Lightwave for a long time, it wasn't worth learning a new one like Fusion at that time.

Some parts are 3d printed. Mainly those that are also plastic in real or "build internal structure" to prevent from too big dents.
IMG_1867.JPG

Let's see some metal...
IMG_1868.JPG

Door panels:
IMG_1876.JPG

Front fenders:
IMG_1871.JPG

Hood:
IMG_1870.JPG

Cab wall:
IMG_1869.JPG

Roof with A-pillars:
IMG_1878.JPG

and some others:
IMG_1873.JPG

IMG_1875.JPG

Last edited:
Lucky friends. I love this kind of innovation and the dents and bends look legit I guess because it's real metal. I dunno but very very cool.

Time to show some internal/structural parts. I wanted to control how far parts can bend. I also wanted to make all metal parts replaceable. After many different versions I decided that internal parts of A and B pillars, rockers, internal fenders and similiar structural parts are best for this purpose.

All structural parts for hilux cab:
IMG_1879.JPG

Innner fenders:
IMG_1880.JPG

Doors internal structure:
IMG_1881.JPG

Grill:
IMG_1892.JPG

Some bolts and nuts:
IMG_1891.JPG

and finally structural parts bolted together:
IMG_1883.JPG

Last edited:
Very nice ... this looks great ... now we are talking you have all the external body work on metal but still have structure inside. Love it, keep it coming.

Rain gutters added to the roof:
IMG_1886.JPG

NotEverythingIsPerfect.JPG

Roof with A pillars finally connected to internal structure:
IMG_1888.JPG

Front top cowl in its place:
Hilux_kabina01.jpg

Last edited:
This reminds me of the old metal masher builds.. I had one of his trucks and never ran it.. I sold it years ago.. fully custom tube cage and all metL panels on tlt axles ( I wonder where that one ended up)

Great looking truck!

This reminds me of the old metal masher builds.. I had one of his trucks and never ran it.. I sold it years ago..

I know Metal Masher builds from the forum and Facebook. They look really great. I see mine's a bit different. Stronger than real metal sheets in car. Scratches and bends have to build history of the body/model, not destroy it. But even if the part is destroyed too much or there's a will to put f.e. fender for a different tire size, it's just a few screws. During the development of the body I made a few tests with different metal gauges. Later I will show a video how one of the bodies from this build thread reacts to rollovers, touching the rocks and so on.

With your integration of the body's 3D printed sub frame, I'm even more interested "thumbsup"
Wonder if this design would hold up to my 40 +/lb SCX6 behemoth !?
That would be something to witness 8)

Of course I have a smaller 1/10 scale SCX-10 as well ;-)
But it's nearly 12 lbs maybe a tad more !?

This is really cool for scale realists/enthusiasts to envision 8)

Too bad we're are a world apart :sad:

I guess I'll just have to see one of your videos :mrgreen:
That would be worthy of a live feed ;-)

Last edited:
With your integration of the body's 3D printed sub frame, I'm even more interested "thumbsup"
Nice to read

Wonder if this design would hold up to my 40 +/lb SCX6 behemoth !?
That would be something to witness 8)
For sure not, but I'm also thinking about 1:6 scale. I'm building an injection moldon machine from Buster Beagle 3D. I'm sure it'll hold up to 1:6 scale without problems. For bigger scale I have also thicker metal.

Of course I have a smaller 1/10 scale SCX-10 as well ;-)
But it's nearly 12 lbs maybe a tad more !?
It weights a lot. I belive, my test Scx 10 II weights about 6-7 lbs (3-3,5kilos) with this body.

This is really cool for scale realists/enthusiasts to envision 8)
When testing I rolled Toyota a few times. No problems with internal structure, but ofc I know resin weaknesses. Made some bending and breaking tests with my hands.

Too bad we're are a world apart :sad:
I buy a lot of camera/rc/jeep stuff in the United States. I think it works even better the other way.

I guess I'll just have to see one of your videos :mrgreen:
That would be worthy of a live feed ;-)
I can't wait to make the video. It'll be a lot of fun

Wysane z iPhone za pomoc Tapatalk

Last edited:
Let's put some fenders:
IMG_0591.JPG

Wrap the door around the frame:
IMG_1116.JPG

and screw down the cab wall:
IMG_1152.JPG

Wider perspective:

1716137090480.jpeg

Last edited:
Awesome work, sign me up for your production/custom list as well!
You are already on

Joined two bonet parts:
IMG_1118.JPG

And some details of joined cab:

IMG_1121.JPG

IMG_1123.JPG

IMG_1120.JPG

IMG_1157s.jpg

In next post it's time to make a Hilux bed

Last edited:
I didn't abandon the project. I spent a lot of time trying to finish my new workshop before winter.

Now it's time to show hilux bed parts:
IMG_2410s.jpg

IMG_2412s.jpg

Bed floor:
IMG_2420s.jpg

Inner fenders:
IMG_2413s.jpg

Side panels:
IMG_2415s.jpg

Front wall:
IMG_2417s.jpg

Rear lights inner pillars: