• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

lowest possible bulletproof gearing?

microcrawlers

Quarry Creeper
My dad bought my wraith and decided he wants brushless. He has a castle creations 5700 kv motor he wants to run on a 2s. It already has vanquish links, stearing, hubs, the works. What would the lowest bulletproof gearing be? biggest possible spur, underdrive gears, and smallest pinion. What would any weak spots be?
video from a year ago-ish
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLfR7TyhX2I

I run 32p gears for bulletproof ness. I like the gear cover so the biggest spur I can fit is 56T and the smallest pinion I can find is 11T. If I didn't run the gear cover, I could fit at least a few more teeth on the spur. This comes out to a ratio of 5.09, which is pretty low...

I run 32p gears for bulletproof ness. I like the gear cover so the biggest spur I can fit is 56T and the smallest pinion I can find is 11T. If I didn't run the gear cover, I could fit at least a few more teeth on the spur. This comes out to a ratio of 5.09, which is pretty low...

it already has an 80 tooth spur and a 16 tooth (i think) pinion 32 pitch
im trying to go even lower

I suspect that you have 48p gears with those numbers.
With 48p you can get a fairly lower ratio than 32.
There is a 10t pinion, and at least the 87 spur, maybe even bigger
But with a brushless, the 32p May last longer...

Last edited:
I suspect that you have 48p gears with those numbers.
With 48p you can get a fairly lower ratio than 32.
There is a 10t pinion, and maybe up to a 66T spur, or so...

im 100% sure its 32 pitch (it was a kit i should know i built it and ran it for two+ years)

is there an option to gear it down even more somewhere else though? we are going to replace the pinion and put underdrive geats in the axles already

Well, if you are 100% absolutely certain that it is an 80t 32p spur I have no other suggestions.
Just buy the smallest pinion you can find.

Last edited:
A 58 tooth spur in 32p will fit under the stock cover. I run a 58/10 in my rig, Robinson pinion and spur. Fits nicely with no rubbing issues, and yes the metal gears are quite loud. Im right at 5.8 ratio which is perfect for my set up on the rocks.

Well, if you are 100% absolutely certain that it is an 80t 48p spur I have no other suggestions.
Just buy the smallest pinion you can find.

thanks for the help i really appreciate it
i have a 9 tooth pinion in my twin hammers thats 32 pitch i will see if it works

Cool to know the 58t will fit, thanks!
Can't imagine this 80t 32p spur...
I guess with 5700kv you'll need a crazy low ratio!

Last edited:
If your spur is 80t it is 48p. 64t 32p barely clears the front shaft. There is zero chance an 80t 32p spur gear will fit a Wraith. Zero chance.

In my experience, a 4600kv motor geared 64/11 was still too fast. 5700kv does not belong in a Wraith.

Lowest possible gearing is 6t pinion 66t spur 32p. Requires a longer extended front output.

It still wont be able to cover up that fast motor. Gotta get under 3400kv and run something around 6:1.

My dad bought my wraith and decided he wants brushless. He has a castle creations 5700 kv motor he wants to run on a 2s. It already has vanquish links, stearing, hubs, the works. What would the lowest bulletproof gearing be? biggest possible spur, underdrive gears, and smallest pinion. What would any weak spots be?
video from a year ago-ish

Hmmm....

X2...I run a cover and like it. I'm at 11/56 32 pitch and on my way to 10 and 9 tooth pinions. RC4WD makes hardened steel small pinions. Axial makes the best 32 pitch pinions down to 11T, they have nice wide tooth profile to make full width mesh with spur gear for high torque/horsepower use, includes TWO large grub screws (a spare yay!) and have enough metal around the screw so that the end of the gear doesn't blow out like Robinson Racing does. :evil:

Axial 32 pitch pinions, I've bought a couple 11T and 12T at LHS.
Axial Racing - Pinion Gear 32P 16T - Steel (3mm Motor Shaft)

A 58 tooth spur in 32p will fit under the stock cover. I run a 58/10 in my rig... Fits nicely with no rubbing issues.... Im right at 5.8 ratio which is perfect for my set up on the rocks.

"thumbsup"

Lowest possible gearing is 6t pinion 66t spur 32p. Requires a longer extended front output.

It still wont be able to cover up that fast motor. Gotta get under 3400kv and run something around 6:1.

Yep! "thumbsup"

You need to spend that money on a different motor and ESC, the 5700 is just not going to be useful in a Wraith.

X2

Last edited:
Back