• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Losi 2.0 Night Crawler Fuel Problem

ultimatum

Gentlemen,

I just recently purchased a used Losi 2.0 Night Crawler. My last model was a gas Cox Thrimble Dome wire plane that I received for Christmas in 1963.

I really would appreciate your input on this. I'll try to include all the information I believe you will need .
Model is a Losi 2.0 Night Crawler
Symptoms:
After running for 5 to 10 minutes, the wheel power has been reduced by 95%. (Estimate)
I have tried using a different battery known to work but has the same symptoms. After changing batteries, it will work again for 5-10 minutes before loosing 95% of the wheel power. Not the battery power. The batteries barely show a reduction in voltage.
Note: It takes me about five minutes to change a battery out which my be allowing a component to cool. Possibly the ESC??
Details:
I recently replaced the motor with a factory brushed unit.

The batteries I use are : 3300 and 5000 NIMH

The 5000 started out at 9.65 volts and after 5-10 minutes was at 9.22 volts.

I checked the 3000 after 10 minutes of run time. Down to 7.65

Temps after 5-10 minutes of run time:

Rear differential 125 degrees F, Front diff 78 degrees F
Motor 149 degrees F, ESC 80 degrees F and the battery 85 degrees F.

My theory is the worm gear diffs are dry causing friction which in turn is heating an electrical component (ESC)to a point it puts the motor in a "limp" mode. Kinda like a marine outboard or a diesel pick up overheating. Turning the rear drive axle by hand operates the wheels and is not difficult to turn. I am new at this and nearing the end of message space. Thanks guys! Bruce

Back