• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Looking for best 1/18 or smaller rock crawlers

RCP said:
That might work.
Nashville, Tennessee Feb 2 - 4 , 2006

Thanks

I'll show up.

You can get cheapbatterypacks.com to make you a good nimh battery pack that fits in the stock location on the nylint's for under $20 a piece.

dont buy those new brights... they suck big time.. the tires are really hard and it has like no flex... there are walmarts everywhere... grab a phone and start callin... i hit @ 12 of them in one day here in denver and came arcoss a couple of them that are fully stocked and some that are like "your lookin fur what?" somebody also mentioned that toys r us might be carring them... as far as recharge time, i use my venom peak charger on the stock nylint packs and it charges in @ 10 min or so.

Looks like I need to hit the road. I tried calling, but out of 3 stores in the local area, not one could transfer me to a person in the toy department. Must have spent 10 min each on hold.

Has anyone experimented crawling with vehicles similar to the Duratrax Mini Quake? Something 1/18th scale and hobby grade. Maybe not marketed as a crawler, but could climb relatively mild to semi advanced terrain? It would be nice if it was an RTR, but that might be asking for much. Tamiyas 1/18 scale crawler looks good, but it appears this truck might need an additional couple hundred dollars and some wrenching time just to get it to roll. I plan on putting together at least 8 trucks for the event. I don't have too much extra time over an above what it will take to get the display built.

I'm not giving up on either the toy grade or hobby grade just yet. I want to test both out to see what the best user friendly vehicle would be for the beginner and inexperienced driver.

Now that I know more about the event, the organizers are bringing in some full size crawlers for display, so this news kind of steps things up a notch or two. If I spend the money for some real 1/10 scale crawlers, I'm wondering if the beginner could handle the speed and trigger cordination. Don't want trucks flying all over the place.

Last edited:
badger said:
If you are picking up the Nylint crawlers be sure to get a 1:6 crawler. I think that a 1:6 Nylint crawler might be just want your looking for.

If you want to email me the pics of your tracks I can post them for you.

John@rccrawler.com

Sending you some pics now. I will shoot some video when the crawling track is finished and you can post them here, if possible.

RCP said:
Sending you some pics now. I will shoot some video when the crawling track is finished and you can post them here, if possible.
Sent you a email back.

Here are the pics of some RCP-Tracks. Very cool looking for the Mini-z's!

track_set_up_2.jpg

Track_RCPHV3_70red.jpg

Track_RCPHV3_59red.jpg

Track_RCPHV3_21red.jpg

RCP_1.jpg

Kyosho_2003_RCX.jpg

KyoshoIhobby1.sized.jpg

KyoshoIhobby2.sized.jpg

KyoshoIhobby6.sized.jpg

Well im sure theres a few people on the board with 1/18th crawlers that are in your area, why dont you get a few people from here to set up a show/display with thier crawlers and it would benefit everyone; you would get an entertaining display for your customers and we would have a good day out with a chance to educate people on the rccrawler scene, aswell as attract business to the website.......

RCP said:
If I spend the money for some real 1/10 scale crawlers, I'm wondering if the beginner could handle the speed and trigger cordination. Don't want trucks flying all over the place.

If you get a real crawler speed wont be a problem. Top speed on crawlers is next to nothing

If you decide to go with 1:18 nylints or 1:6 ones, there plentiful around here. I am about 4 hrs northwest of memphis, heh.

sparko said:
Well im sure theres a few people on the board with 1/18th crawlers that are in your area, why dont you get a few people from here to set up a show/display with thier crawlers and it would benefit everyone; you would get an entertaining display for your customers and we would have a good day out with a chance to educate people on the rccrawler scene, aswell as attract business to the website.......

It's a must that I have the trucks here at the shop, while I am building the display so I can test each section during construction. That would be hard to do if I hired some people in the Nashville area to perform.I think it would be great to put on a crawling exhibition at one of the large RC trade shows. We build tracks for some of the largest rc shows in the US and I will talk to the organizers about building a rather large display for crawling demos. If I can get this done, I will definitely bring in some people from this site to perform. It would be great promotion for the crawling hobby and this site.

It looks like I am going to get 4 - 6 of the PTI Goliaths set up for the show. I think out of the box, they will be best suited for the 8ft x 20ft display I am building. With a few simple mods, they should be crawling nicely.

After spending some time on this site, I am getting a little hooked on these crawlers and after this event I am looking to invest some money in a 1/10 scale crawler. Not for work, but for pleasure of course.

I will keep you updated on the progress. Thanks for everyone's help.

Last edited:
RCP said:

It looks like I am going to get 4 - 6 of the PTI Goliaths set up for the show. I think out of the box, they will be best suited for the 8ft x 20ft display I am building. With a few simple mods, they should be crawling nicely.

I was gonna mention the Goliath, but there is one caveat to those things. They've had some problems early on with missing parts. I was lucky. My kit was only missing a couple ball studs. But others have reported missing the motor, bushings, rod-ends, etc. Make sure you get 'em EARLY to avoid any problems. The Goliath has been out for quite some time now, so they may have fixed their early quality control issues by now.

But they are WAY better than a TLT straight outta the box. But also more expensive. The only mod I think you'll wanna do is swap out the pinion with the smallest one you can get. That'll drop the speeds down and you'll see a noticeable improvement in crawling ability. With the stock pinion, they're kinda zippy and people could possibly do some damnage ;)

Yes, I read many posts here and on another forum, so I am relatively informed on the issues of this truck during the past year. I found out that PTI's office is only about 15 miles from my shop, so I plan to hopefully meet with them personally and get the trucks working just right for the crawler display. In addition to gearing, I may want to do some shaving hear and there depending on what may get hung up. I can always make adjustments on the display to compinsate for hang ups, since I need to have one of the trucks during the construction process.

Everything isn't finalized for the show, so once we are given the final word to proceed, I will make available some photos of the different steps in building the track, in addition to some video of the trucks in action.

I can get into specific details of the techniques used on my displays in another post just in case there may be some here that would like to build a miniature/portable track of their own.

Just some quick notes on how I create them. My off road tracks are all built from layered foam sheets. The sheets come in 4ft x 8ft sections in thicknesses of 4 to 12 inches. I hand carve all the details of the terrain using a large 12" fork type knife and a variety of thin screw driver like tools. The display is coated with a very thick and durable rubber texture. Before the texture cures, I mix in many different products like DG, sand, dirt and coffee ground. These products give the terrain great grip for the rubber tires and make the display more realistic. Anything from tree branches to weeds can be added to the terrain to make it more challenging.

The rubber coating has worked very well and holds up to the 1/18 scale and smaller off road RC trucks. Repairs can be easily made if something gets cut or damaged. I have not tested the displays with any 1/10 scale or heavier trucks, so I am not sure how the texture would hold up to them. Size is not a factor as I have built off road foam tracks up to 33ft x 20ft in length. This will be my first official crawler type track, as most of my previous tracks were more designed for the stadium style trucks at higher speed racing.

I think if we did a crawler demo at an upcoming trade show, I would like to bring in real dirt and rocks for climbing. At one particular show, a large off road nitro track is built indoors measuring well over 100 x 80 feet. We could use some of this area and the dirt to construct a large crawling hill. The only obstacle I see in hosting crawler trucks at the show is that most of the money to build the tracks come from RC manufacturer sponsors. The list of crawler manufacturers is a little thin, unless we could convince companies like Traxxas, Kyosho, HPI, CEN and Tamiya to mod some crawlers out of their 1/10 and larger Monster Trucks. Usually these companies only promote their production products, but I have seen manufactures running extremely modified 1/8 scale buggies at previous shows.

Last edited:
Back