• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Land Rover Discovery I

tozrovr

RCC Addict
Camel Trophy Land Rover Discovery I

True to form, this will be another scale build that will get wheeled pretty hard.
CamelTrophy17.jpg

This is truly my white whale as i did attempt this build over a year ago and just couldn't pull it together.

It got away...
IMG_8548.jpg

The basis is a kamtec disco body. Kamtec really liked my D110 pickup and offered to send me my choice of bodies in return for letting them use photos of the 110 on their site. After selling off my partially finished disco body last year, I was in need of another so this offering was fortuitous :D
This one, like my last attempt will be sprayed with the correct Sand Glow Yellow paint...not the Tamiya Camel Yellow. To get the right color I had to do some digging. Since it wasn't a color used on any production Rovers aside from the CT trucks getting a code from the Disco's and Defenders was a dead end. Lots of folks and resources tell you that the CT rigs were sprayed Sand Glow yellow but to get the right color from a picture was tough. The color photographs differently in different light; sometimes it looks yellow, sometimes beige, sometimes mustard... Thankfully some of my older car manuals held the key.

I'm a car dork and have had over 38 cars since I was given a license 22 years ago. My first was a '73 MGB. Since this was pre-internet I had all the manuals and any scrap of literature I could scavenge on anything MG related. I remembered seeing an odd magazine reference about Sand Glow Yellow in a brit car mag...I began pouring over old MG color charts and there, in 1976, was my color. Thankfully British Leyland owned or had owned at one time, many of the British car companies we love and thankfully the Sandglow Yellew used on the '76 MG was the same code as used on the CT trucks.

The mechanical side is the venerable scx10 dingo kit. It now together and ill be wheeling it and making changes as I work on the body.

Day 2 sporting a few mods from the normal build including chassis mounted steering and an oil pan. I'm trying to devise a basic behind the axle steering system to mimic the 1:1's. The axles may not be super scale to my cause, but i can do what I can.
a2.jpg

This is how the body arrives.

a0.jpg

There's a good likelihood that this will be a bit bigger than a 1:1 CT Disco as I really don't want to scale back my wheeling spots and trails.

Last edited:
Here's the body rough cut and a bit of the bodyline under the rear window filled a bit.

IMG_20120822_113344.jpg

I won't be using these tires as they're just a bit too big. Going smaller will bring the truck to a more scale look and allow me to lower the body as well.

Paint will be here tomorrow so I need to get crackin' on finishing the filling and sanding on the body!

Last edited:
I can't wait to see this! I attempted this last year and despite getting the right paint colours etc from the Land Rover Show from the Camel Trophy club, I just didn't have the time to do it and put enough detail into it. Maybe I will attempt it again after this :D Good Luck!!

If you wanted the landy back, all you had to do was say something bro! Got a chassis fabbed up for it and never did nothing since then! Helping hold the dust up in my spot!LOL

If you wanted the landy back, all you had to do was say something bro! Got a chassis fabbed up for it and never did nothing since then! Helping hold the dust up in my spot!LOL

No worries! Kamtec gave me this one after I sent them a few pics of my D110 pickup I made. :)

True to form, this will be another scale build that will get sold pretty hard.

fixed it for ya "thumbsup"

Will be gone by September 30th...any bets??? :)

I will get the Trail Busters ready for ya. My donation to the cause! Hopefully they will look right on it.

Last edited:
i JUST not 10 freekin minutes ago was watching camel trophy trucks on youtube....
all i could think was THAT would be neat.

good luck with your build!

Mark, I think the Busters will be perfect on this! I'm pulling the wheels apart today to paint them Sand Glow.

IMG_20120824_112024.jpg

Maybe after you finish this we can go wheeling gobo + the CT truck lol.

Local club (NERCC) is having a run on September 16th. You would be welcome to come. It is at a great spot. Probably my favorite the club goes to. I don't want to post publicly too much about it as we had to get permission to use it. I am sure Toz, myself and one of my friends is going from the seacoast. Not sure where you are but it is within a half hour of Manchester. The more the merrier. It is a comp for 1.9, 2.2, etc but mostly a scale run. You will not be disappointed if you go. Great group of guy's. They have already seen Gobo"thumbsup"

P1030987.jpg

Got the hood blackout and window surrounds painted and currently waiting as the ZAP-Goo holding the rain gutters on dries.

Found a GREAT pic of a CT Disco that has been mildy modified since it's participation...This is exactly what I'm shooting for.

5599574296_dbb935c578_b.jpg

Last edited:
a3-5.jpg

P1040001.jpg

I brought the rear links in a bit but still need to shorten the fronts a bit.

Last edited:
Local club (NERCC) is having a run on September 16th. You would be welcome to come. It is at a great spot. Probably my favorite the club goes to. I don't want to post publicly too much about it as we had to get permission to use it. I am sure Toz, myself and one of my friends is going from the seacoast. Not sure where you are but it is within a half hour of Manchester. The more the merrier. It is a comp for 1.9, 2.2, etc but mostly a scale run. You will not be disappointed if you go. Great group of guy's. They have already seen Gobo"thumbsup"

If i have sundays before that i will go. But it sucks working sundays lol.

This is my favourite build on here but my subscription doesn't seem to work for this thread for some reason :( Looking good so far pal!

Looks great...where did u get the tires? :flipoff: I think you will like them. Good tires, I just prefer the Mud Pluggers for my D90. Much better look on both your Disco and my D90. Are those the GMADE landie wheels? or the high $ RC4WD ones? Maybe Kamtek will give you more stuff after seeing this one as well 8) . I had a hell of a day after you showed up. DSL provider fail at a clients business and horrible labor day traffic. I shoulda stayed in bed :cry: .

Looks great...where did u get the tires? :flipoff: I think you will like them. Good tires, I just prefer the Mud Pluggers for my D90. Much better look on both your Disco and my D90. Are those the GMADE landie wheels? or the high $ RC4WD ones? Maybe Kamtek will give you more stuff after seeing this one as well 8) . I had a hell of a day after you showed up. DSL provider fail at a clients business and horrible labor day traffic. I shoulda stayed in bed :cry: .

hahahah! Shoulda gone for coffee with me :)

Those are the Gmade's (six lugs) and huge thanks for the Simex Jungle Trekkers!~:mrgreen:

Lotsa work for some lenses and grille that will be hidden behind the clutter of a winch, bumper, bullbar and brushwires:D

2.jpg

1.jpg

Back