• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

"King Of The Compound 2" ***follow-up***

axelsnapr

Quarry Creeper
Well KOTC2 proved to be an insane r/c race!...We had 18 drivers show up to "FLOG" their rigs over the 2 mile+ KOH style racecourse!...Out of the 18 starting rigs, 9 of them never made it to the finish line!...

The 1st place driver Rich B. made it thru in just over 1 1/2 hours. He was the only driver to finish the race without having to make some sort of repair. Here are the results:
"K.O.T.C.2 RESULTS"

1st Place #03 Rich Boltz 1hr 32min 33sec

(Total Time)
02) #022..Jake Wright.......1:38:38sec
03) #09....Joe Maxwell.......2: 02:32sec
04) #07....Jim Hopper........2:03:06sec
05) #13....Aaron Johnson...2: 06:52sec
06) #01....Brian Jones........2:31:43sec
07) #02....Dave Budd.........2:54:00sec
08) #04....Chris Pickering...3:21:38sec
09) #18....Jason(midship)..2:51:31sec.......*last 20ft under tow*
10) #11....Charlie Vess...........DNF
11) #17....Jason Fletcher........DNF
12) #20....Aaron Schumacher..DNF
13) #21....Rich Hernandez.......DNF
14) #16....Matt Martin.............DNF
15) #05....Bob Edwards...........DNF
16) #24....John Askar..............DNF
17) #15....Rick Edwards..........DNF
18) #69....Eric Robidoux..........DNF

DNF's are placed as best as possible in order of "most distance traveled" before terminal breakage.

Our new "National Super Champ" Jake Wright was there, and told this awesome story of his day:

(DelMonte): So judging by that list, there's got to be some great race day stories. I know the smell of burning electronics was in the air all day, so lets hear about it!

Here's how my run went...

I started off in the back row and had a lot of rigs ahead of me. I was moving pretty well and passed a few guys before we all hit the first big bottle neck rock section. After watching a few rigs struggle and few make it through, I got my change at the "plaque line" rock section. With a little help from my 10.5 motor, I managed to hop up through the rocks on the first try. Once I cleared the rocks, I only had one rig ahead of me (Aaron S. I think?) and I was in pretty good shape.

Once I hit the open desert section, I made the pass and moved into the lead. At this point, I had a pretty good gap and 2nd and 3rd, (Aaron S. and Rich B?) I hit the next rock section a good 30 seconds ahead of 2nd place, and promptly put my truck on its lid. I drove it back onto its wheels just about the same time that Rich B. was closing in on me, and I quickly launched back into the rocks again, only to hang up on my rear diff. Rich made the pass while I was pin-balling off the rocks and wasting time. Once I finally got clear of the rocks and back into the open, Rich and opened up a pretty solid lead... but the chase was on!

I was pushing the truck pretty hard through the first short-course section and down the first ravine. I could see Rich in the distance and I was closing in at a steady pace. When I hit the long uphill ravine, I was only about 20 yards behind. I pushed my belly dragger of a rig as fast as it could go through the rocks, and it was tough! About halfway up the ravine I hit one of the big breakovers with a little too much throttle and managed to break a pin on my rear LCC driveshaft. Luckily, I had a spare with me, but the swap cost me valuable time. I thrashed the rig up the rest of the ravine, and after what felt like 30 minutes of winding through the tight rock sections, I was back out in the open.

Somewhere before the 2nd short course section, I managed to rip the passenger side lower link mount off of my tube chassis. At this point, Rich had a pretty big lead. My 2nd lap was filled with more driveshaft carnage and by the time I hit the ravine again, my slipper clutch and backed off and got hot enough to glaze the slipper pad! I gave the rig all it could handle and then some, but I couldn't pull back the lead. With the broken front link, the rig was a handful in the fast sections, and I'm pretty sure the rest of the front link mounts are bent to hell now
biggrin.png
Somehow everything else held together long enough for the rig to limp across the line in 2nd place.

All and all, KoTC 2 was killer! This year's race actually felt like a true endurance race worthy of being a mini KOH. My rig will need some serious repairs before the next one, but I can't wait. ............(end quote)

......It was a blast build'n "KOTC II", Hearing a story like this from just one driver makes it worth it!

Here are just a few pics from the race....
copyofdsc00183.jpg

By axlsnapr at 2011-09-21

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited:
This was the most fun I have ever had at an R/C event. Well, outside the Moab Nationals condo thrills anyway. :lmao:

When's the next one ? How about a King of Baldy?

Damn I'm BUMMED I had to miss this one. Its was definitely the talk of the camp at the SoCal SSS today. The carnage. The laughs. The SoCal brotherhood & of course...the great time everyone had.

Jake's little editorial makes you feel like you were his copilot. Thanks Jake! It makes those of us that had to miss feel like we were there.

Even tho I couldn't make it...I'd still like to throw out HUGE props & thanks to Jerry for taking the time to not only put the logistics of such a killer day together...but building the course & hosting the SoCal riff raff & tearing up his own property. Its a LOT of work & he deserves a hardy MOOCH GRASSYASS.

Jerry said the course is littered with smoked electronics & the smell of burnt motors & esc's is still in the air. THAT sounds like a GREAT day at the KOTC II to me.

I for one WILL NOT be missing KOTC III & suggest if you're in the area...you don't either.

Build em TOUGH boys n girls...King of the Compound is unforgiving at best...& plain GNARLY at most!!!

See ya on THE COMPOUND....

J.D.

Back