• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Jim gets the 6x6 Bug

JimInMiami

Quarry Creeper
I caught the 6x6 crawler bug after wheeling along with a couple of buds who’ve built them. I started out with the misnamed Axial SCX10 II “Raw Builder’s Kit”, which IMO should be called “Builder’s Upgrade Kit”, such is the poor quality of some of the components. I mean, c’mon Axial, plastic shock bodies for a kit destined for custom builders, really?? I should‘a got me the SSD Trail King, dunno what I was thinking…

But, I digress, sorry back to the build. After some research, in particular @Soze’s build here on RCCralwer.com, I decided to try to address the inherent flaws of the sadly departed Axial UMG 6x6, namely overly flexy chassis and a rear drive shaft's comical habit of jumping ship under extreme suspension deflections - in other words, when you most need the darn thing to stay put.

Two things were done two stiffen the chassis.
1) Five bolts were driven into each joiner cross member rather than relying on only the two as originally design. Compare this

XHg9APv.jpg

to the original:

AuxznWN.jpg

The brace was also relocated about 5/8" forward of the stock location because I wanted to use the shorter links so the distance to the middle axle was 11.4" instead of the original 12.3. The theory behind this is that the shorter wheelbase will improve the breakover angle. Who knows, if true, but I like to tinker :mrgreen:

2) Braces were added between the shock towers and as a result the rear of the chassis is WAY more rigid than before.

6LhtOoQ.jpg

What flex is left, is up front due the the oh-so noodly stock battery and servo mount, but more on that later.....

Zooming out, here's what she looks like.

FCU8Cov.jpg

I got the cab from Asia Tees, but wouldn't do it again. Way cheaper, yes - but the lexan is paper thin.

fJLtZdv.jpg

Tinky likes the color, but is perplexed by the two extras wheels! :roll:

DbPqIX8.jpg

I think Axial should release a new 6x6 with better engineering, what do you guys think?

Drive Shaft

BTW, the rear drive shaft issue was resolved by installing a TRX-4 unit, a bit of a pain to cut and fit, but rock solid now.

I had a chance to test run it over the weekend at the Markham Park crawler course and was pretty happy with the performance.

96HqlKz.jpg

Tires are Hyrax clones from Amazon.

pNf4QZE.jpg

Six wheel drive really allows the rig to climb pretty much anything. It makes so that I don't want to wheel my 4x4 rigs nearly as much now.

4j84nL6.jpg

I did find that there's too much flex in the front part of the chassis, so a battery tray/servo mount combo from BowHouse is on the way. https://bowhouserc.com/hd-battery-tray-servo-bumper-mount-for-scx10-2-v2/

tJoOhNc.jpg

Man 6x6's are so much fun. I really enjoy mine, but I need to replace the Axial 35T in mine that went up in smoke. Considering putting a fusion in there.

Man 6x6's are so much fun. I really enjoy mine, but I need to replace the Axial 35T in mine that went up in smoke. Considering putting a fusion in there.

Hey Soze, funny you should say that as I noticed the Axial 27T motor I have in it getting pretty hot after running for about an hour. Lemme know how it goes if you do instal the Fusion in there. And btw, would the longer motor fit with the BowHouse battery mount, do you think??

I don't have a Bowhouse battery mount, but from the pictures it looks shorter than the stock tray. I don't see why the fusion or 550 can wouldn't fit.

Back