• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

JIA's IFS KOH Ultra4 Wraith Conversions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice JIA, just noticed in your pics your garage in Hawaii looks just like the one here on the mainland, the Army ship all your shit out there?

Who was driving the solid axle rig again? :flipoff:

:lol: Badger was driving one, I was driving the other. Threw together a quick video. It'll be up soon.

Nice JIA, just noticed in your pics your garage in Hawaii looks just like the one here on the mainland, the Army ship all your shit out there?

Yup.

Last edited:
Had people asking what the Ultra4 back in looks like. Better pictures and such.

Here's some next to a stock Wraith. This blue one has a solid axle front - no IFS conversion. I haven't flipped the shock mounts at the axle, but plan to do so. It'll be a compact lil' critter after I flip the mounts. :lol:

420467_2498311274406_1810750758_n.jpg

Bear with me, I'm trying to follow along and comprehend what's going on but I'm a bit lost w/ this conversion. Is this a basic Wraith w/ a fast back style conversion done to the chassis or is this a full blown hybrid chassis w/ a solid front axle?? I like the stance of this blue rig although I'm loving your IFS conversions for the Wraith. "thumbsup"

Bear with me, I'm trying to follow along and comprehend what's going on but I'm a bit lost w/ this conversion. Is this a basic Wraith w/ a fast back style conversion done to the chassis or is this a full blown hybrid chassis w/ a solid front axle?? I like the stance of this blue rig although I'm loving your IFS conversions for the Wraith. "thumbsup"

Those pictures were posted just to provide more images of the converted back end. That is a stock Wraith that has had the Exo conversion done on the back portion of the cage. Solid axles front and rear.

The IFS rigs use the same cage conversion on the back end, but get chassis, suspension, and driveline work on the front.

Brian, here's a quick throw-together video. My blue Ultra4 and Badgers RCC Wraith are the only solid axle rigs in the video. Everything else is IFS. Some tires are better than others, some drivers are better than others, but at least it's a video. :ror:

<iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/51782867" width="500" height="281" frameborder="0" webkitAllowFullScreen mozallowfullscreen allowFullScreen></iframe> <p><a href="http://vimeo.com/51782867">Crawling with Badger</a> from <a href="http://vimeo.com/jasoninaugusta">Jason Carter</a> on <a href="http://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p>

Last edited:
How well do the chassis's hold up after being pieced together? I have a RTR wraith and broke some of the plastic pieces up forward near the front bumper. I also just got a wraith kit and might have to get an exo kit and do this.

How well do the chassis's hold up after being pieced together? I have a RTR wraith and broke some of the plastic pieces up forward near the front bumper. I also just got a wraith kit and might have to get an exo kit and do this.

Rob, good talking with you today. Got your build started tonight, see you tomorrow. "thumbsup"

I can't believe I just discovered this now!! I must have been living under a rock!! Totally awesome...

Rubiconrockkrawler just dropped off all his stuff. I built his rear axle, transmission, and modified his Wraith skid last night.

Now the real work starts. :lol:

527432_2515315539502_1976932653_n.jpg

Last edited:
Rubiconrockkrawler's rig is done.

Special Agent came over and lent a hand building the Exo front suspension while I worked on the Exo chassis/Wraith skid.

Rob (Rubiconrockkrawler) showed up and the two of them started filling and bleeding shocks. By this time I had the cage work almost wrapped up.
550525_2515832392423_1274216430_n.jpg

Then DTP showed up. We had beer, food, and not a lot of work was done. :lol:

At 4am Rob left with his completed rig. Had to keep going because he's going to sea for the next few months. It was a last-minute build, but it's done. (Mahalo to SA for building that Exo front!)

Did mods to Rob's rig that, until now, had only been done to mine. 4WS with custom sway bar, and added the Wraith stinger to the front. Also installed RC4WD's AX2 with MIP driveshafts, VP's upper and lower Ti links, and VP steering links for the rear.

A few pics of Rob's completed roller.
406885_2516432327421_1415002342_n.jpg

377387_2516442407673_1131945653_n.jpg

320489_2516443287695_2083978139_n.jpg

379083_2516448087815_1452768996_n.jpg

Last edited:
The rig came out awesome, Thanks again for accepting the last minute rushed build."thumbsup" It was a pleasure meeting and working with everyone. Now i have plenty of time to sort out electronics and get the body done. To bad UPS doesn't have a boat. :lmao:

Last edited:
Then DTP showed up. We had beer, food, and not a lot of work was done. :lol:
Seems to happen a lot when I show up.:mrgreen:

The rig came out awesome, Thanks again for accepting the last minute rushed build."thumbsup" It was a pleasure meeting and working with everyone. Now i have plenty of time to sort out electronics and get the body done. To bad UPS doesn't have a boat. :lmao:
Great meeting you too Rob. "thumbsup"

No problem. Keep us updated on the rig as it progresses. I'm curious to see what you whip up in the machine shop while at sea.

Seems to happen a lot when I show up.:mrgreen:

Yes. Yes, it does. :ror: "thumbsup"

Good times.

I actually email VP about this. The inside diameter of their OMF wheels is 53mm. RC4WD's Hitmans are also 53mm. So yes, they will fit.

I have the SLW v3's with the 475 hubs as well, the exo I would be sending has the STRC alum steering components. If I can clearance them as well great! I'll consider alternative wheels as well. Thanks for the info guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back