• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Jerking or lurching when starting instead of smooth acceleration when needing low end torque

crawlerpaines

Hello all!

I am new to the crawler world and recently completed my first build. It started with me falling in love with the look of the BOG 406 by Ahead_RC so I got to printing.

I ordered a generic SCX10 chassis off of Amazon as well as the other recommended components. I went with a 27T brushed motor that came with an ESC. I am using a Flysky programmable TX/RX.

It was all working well for months until I finally burned up the motor - I'm not sure if I just over did it or how it happened. I replaced the motor with the same size (550) but went with the 20T this time. I put it back together today, charged up the battery, and took it to the park with my kids. It runs fine on flat surfaces or minimum inclines, but if it is asked to climb or apply low speed torque, it just jerks and lurches unless I press the throttle trigger all the way down (which I don't want to do).

What am I missing or doing wrong? I want it to be able to crawl around like it did before - I used to be able to crawl up boulders and steep hillsides. Where do I start?

Thank you for your wisdom in advance and let me know if you need more information.

im just taking a wild guess but it sounds like your esc lost a capacitor so it dosent have the instant power needed for a high torque situation
sometimes the wire comes unsoldered and sometimes the caps pop and you need to replace the esc
this goes hand in hand with a smoked motor
a good exscuse to upgrade your esc also

I agree with ferp. Sounds like you smoked your ESC as well. Brushed motors and ESCs should not "cog" like you are experiencing unless the gearing is way off. Assuming you didn't change gearing or suddenly get a bind in the drivetrain, you need an ESC. You can remove your motor and ensure the drivetrain still spins freely. I highly recommend the HobbyWing 1080 for a brushed ESC. The 1060 is available for about half the price, but you get less than half the features/adjustability of the 1080.

EDIT: Welcome to the site! Please post up a build of your thread as well.

Back