• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Initial thoughts after my first run

GA Dawg

Rock Crawler
Subscribed Member
Now that the lockdown has lifted, my main crawling spot has opened and I got an opportunity on Sunday to take the new SCX10iii out for it's maiden voyage. Overall I am happy with the truck, but there is work to do.

First of all, I knew that it would be top heavy, but this was more than I expected. There were several times when I rolled in places where none of my other trucks have a problem. I'm going to remove the cage from the interior and may end up removing the interior completely in order to remove some of that weight up high. I really don't want to have to add a bunch of brass My TRX4 has portals and doesn't need it and I don't want this truck to need it either.

Secondly, these mirrors suck ass. I wheel in some pretty tight spaces sometimes and was constantly getting hung up on the mirrors. 1:10 scale realism shouldn't cause 1:1 scale frustration. I'm taking them off before I end up ripping the lexan where they are mounted. They spent most of the day aimed in various different directions, so they won't be missed.

Third. The dig started out OK but as the day went on it seemed to be harder and harder to disengage. I was constantly having to back up to get the rear wheels spinning again. Hopefully, that's just something that I can better adjust.

Finally, I think this may be the tires more than the kit, but the steering left lots to be desired. I blame the tires because it seems like the rear axle was pushing the front straight ahead while the wheels were fully turned. It was like a bad case of understeeer all day. I have other tires that I use there with success and I'll be running those next time to make sure that it was just a traction issue. I am also going to overdrive the front, so that should help the steering too.

Who was your daddy that said you couldn't go outside to play?

No offense, but damn people, the Government is NOT YOUR DADDY.

Otherwise, Good write up. lol

I am running sans the roll cage and interior and am very happy with the performance. I also use the GensAce Shorty adventure packs which are much lighter than the full size packs. The only other change I made was to replace the tires with Pro line Hyrax predators with CI dual stage foams.

That said, this is my first crawler, so not sure how it stacks up.

Who was your daddy that said you couldn't go outside to play?

No offense, but damn people, the Government is NOT YOUR DADDY.
The US National Park Service owns the land that I crawl on, so I really had no choice.

I should mention that I'm running the Pro-Line BFG Krawler tiers. I'll be trying out my Hyrax tires which never disappoint and also a set of RC4WD Goodyear MTR's that always work well for me.

Removing the cage and mirrors took the body down from 16.9oz to 12.7oz. That's almost a 25% reduction in weight.

I haven’t had the chance to run mine very hard at this point, but I don’t think I’m going to try and make this anything but a trail truck. I added some portal weights to offset the heavy body, at least keep it a little more planted. The left steering is terrible, the servo horn hits the panhard mount and limits the left turns. I haven’t tried the aluminum panhard mounts yet to see if they are thinner and allow for more clearance on left turns. I think i will just build an 10.3 chassis and use a lighter body to build a more capable rig, and leave this beauty for the more mild trails.

I never installed the cage. First run was on 4.7 KM3’s, second run was on the class 1 4.2 KM3’s... insane difference in performance with the class 1 tires. This my be a good alternative to weighted portals. I think my next add on will be a rear sway bar...

Lou

I never installed the cage. First run was on 4.7 KM3’s, second run was on the class 1 4.2 KM3’s... insane difference in performance with the class 1 tires. This my be a good alternative to weighted portals. I think my next add on will be a rear sway bar...

Lou

Are you saying the smaller tires performed more to your liking?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, by a healthy margin. The rig just seemed more planted overall and I was able to sidehill at steeper angles. It felt more predictable and I was able to get through a few spots I couldn’t before. I think the tires do look overly small but not too bad with the body on.

Lou

2 position dig.

Interesting thought on the smaller tires. This is one way to get the weight lower to the ground. I'm no fan of class 1 sized tires, but maybe I'll throw my VXT tires on and see if it helps.

Last edited:
I wasn't a fan till I drove them... I don't think it's the answer for every truck but I think it is for sure an improvement on the 10.3, at least for me. I highly recommend to give it a go.

Lou

Back