• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

HumboldtEF's Ascender Reassembled

This is looking awesome "thumbsup" Love the roller

Thanks

I printed up a new gas cap, the first one was from Scale By Chris and I really just settled for it as it was as close as I could find, but that was before I had a printer.
Sj0knMAl.jpg

First version looked good but was just too big
umS9O8nl.jpg

sized it down and it looks a lot more proportional
xFT5Nudl.jpg

DQPFqPOl.jpg

Its up on thingiverse for anyone to download and print
uPrfWitl.png

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3608250

The gas cap is a nice touch.

I put a similar loooking wood flatbed on my K10 but sadly it came apart after a few tumbles. Is yours laminated pieces? May I ask how you are keeping it together?

Thanks

I printed up a new gas cap, the first one was from Scale By Chris and I really just settled for it as it was as close as I could find, but that was before I had a printer.
Sj0knMAl.jpg

First version looked good but was just too big
umS9O8nl.jpg

sized it down and it looks a lot more proportional
xFT5Nudl.jpg

DQPFqPOl.jpg

Its up on thingiverse for anyone to download and print
uPrfWitl.png

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3608250

I like this build a lot.

I'm a big fan of your low profile metal work.
Two major pet peeves of mine are ill fitting sliders that don't line up with the cab / stick out too far / block where the door would (theoretically) swing open, and front bumpers that kill the approach angle.

The gas cap is a nice touch.

I put a similar loooking wood flatbed on my K10 but sadly it came apart after a few tumbles. Is yours laminated pieces? May I ask how you are keeping it together?

Thanks
The bed is made out of pine cut into scale 2x4's that are glued together. I think its held up okay to tumbles but it did dry out and shrink and that split the wood apart in one area.
wwJI8xTl.jpg

It should go back together okay but I should probably slot the mount holes so it can move around a little.
lxoI4Bvl.jpg

I like this build a lot.

I'm a big fan of your low profile metal work.
Two major pet peeves of mine are ill fitting sliders that don't line up with the cab / stick out too far / block where the door would (theoretically) swing open, and front bumpers that kill the approach angle.

Thanks I appreciate it!
Last year at Proline BTF I was trying to follow the other guys lines and it became apparent that my giant winch bumper and wide sliders were holding me back. Since I had customized the bumper and made the sliders I had a hard time bringing myself to part with/modify them but I'm really happy I did. Now I hardly ever drag the bumper on the rocks, out of all of my painted steel bumpers this one has retained (not chipped) the most paint :ror:

Very nice gas cap! The wood bed bits could also be oil stained finish top and bottom (and re-oiled occasionally like fine furniture) which along with your slotted mount hole suggestion might help the shrinkage and cracking. :)

Very nice gas cap! The wood bed bits could also be oil stained finish top and bottom (and re-oiled occasionally like fine furniture) which along with your slotted mount hole suggestion might help the shrinkage and cracking. :)

Thanks, I might print up a few to bring down to Proline BTF, I know there's quite a few K10's coming.
I think I did oil it with some dansih oil (Watco finish) originally, I suppose I could re-oil it again.

Thanks for the printed bits at PLBTF, look better than most the parts that peeps are selling! Very nice fit, finish and attention to detail! Ya, re-oil the bed wood, gotta do prolly twice a year. :)

Thanks for the printed bits at PLBTF, look better than most the parts that peeps are selling! Very nice fit, finish and attention to detail! Ya, re-oil the bed wood, gotta do prolly twice a year. :)

My pleasure, I'm trying to spread the 3D printed wealth :mrgreen:
They look good because I dont mind printing slow and at a high resolution, I think most sellers dont care as much and print faster at lower resolution for better profit margin. Some of the pictures you'll find of 3d printed parts are just horrendous with notes like "some cleanup is required"

I'm just remembering that I coated the bed first in danish oil and then polyurethane so its sealed and not able to be oiled any more.

I did glue that loose piece back and enlarged the mounting hole so hopefully that holds together. When I was doing that I noticed the joint had danish oil in it so that was likely partly to blame as it weakens the glues bond.

Last edited:
Back