• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Huge steering slop... Is this normal?

Look closely at the output shaft of the steering servo. The housing is known to crack and allow side to side play of the shaft which then allows steering play like you've got. I see all of your linkage moving with the wheel all the way to the servo. So either the pitman arm(servo horn) is loose on the shaft or the shaft itself has play in the plastic housing. The stock servo is a weak point. Mine cracked after some use but honestly may have been cracked from new but took me a while to notice it. You can run it like that until you want to replace it with a better servo.
Ben

It's probably the stock Spektrum steering servo. Mine got sloppy pretty quick so I replaced it with a HiTec hi torque, ball bearing, metal gear servo

Well, yes, the servo is the culprit in part for the slop, but holding the servo arm with my hand, the remaining slop is way too high... I observed some in the bearing housing where the CVD passes (as can be seen in the video on vertical tilting the wheel)... The rest must be in the ball ends. Upgrading the C-hubs will remove some of the slop?

The only time I've had slop at the wheel was when I didn't tighten the wheel nut completely. Check that. I've got some serious hours of rugged rock climbing on my truck and have zero slop at the spindle to c-hub pivot. Either they left out the bushings there or your wheel nuts are a bit loose. I just checked mine and you definately have some excessive play. Just gotta pinpoint it.
Ben

Well, I tightened the screws around the bushings on the C-hub (also checked again the assembly against the manual), and that fixed the way the truck handles on the carpet... No more wobbly wheels. There still is some slop remaining, but with little to no impact on the way it handles - and that is the important part :)

Thank you for your help guys, great community around here!

Back