• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Holmes Hobbies Puller Pro Stubby

King Dork

Rock Crawler
I’m currently running a Mamba X/Holmes V2 2200 Revolver in my Capra. It performs amazing. However, I suffered some brain injury due to several concussions, and the normal Revolver noise worsens my constant migraines. I already have a 2200 V2 Puller Pro in another vehicle, and a 2200 V2 Puller Pro Stubby that was in another rig but isn’t in anything now. I could take the standard out of the vehicle it’s currently in (TRX4 Tactical “Sport”) and put the stubby in it and the standard in my Capra, or just put the stubby in my Capra. The stubby is no slouch and I’m fairly certain that it would have no problem running the Capra. I’ve seen a video or two about guys running snub nose Revolvers in a Capra so the Puller Stubby shouldn’t be an issue as far as power. Just curious if anyone is actually running one in their Capra and how they like it, or don’t or any heat issues. Given the PITA it is to swap the motor in a Capra (as opposed to a regular truck) I really don’t want to do it twice. Lol.
Additional details, I run 85g of weight on each of the Capra’s front knuckles but no other weight, and run “small” 2.2 tires (130ish mm only about 1/4” taller than Hyraxes) on plastic Proline beadlocks, so not much extra weight or strain. Gratitude in advance gentlemen!

I've been running a 2700kv stubby in my Capra for over 2 years. It may not have the torque of the revolver or standard puller pro, but with a 10t pinion and ud gears in the rear axle, it has no problems pulling 2.2"s (Ibex.) Neither the motor, nor the esc (micro x) get hot. As far as sound goes, it still has a whine to it (I'd say close to 1/2 the perceived sound as compared to a revolver), so if that's your primary concern, you may want to look into a different esc (and keep the revolver?) like the crawlmaster mini.

Hey thanks for the response bro. Regardless, I’m thought about it and decided to keep the standard sized Puller in my TRX4. It’s a half pound heavier and I beat on it far more than my Capra. I’m actually in my hobby room now and figure before tearing the Capra apart I’ll plug the Stubby into the esc and test the sound. Funny, my Puller standard in my TRX4 with a Copperhead is dead quiet. I once took a Revolver out of a different rig and put the Puller Stubby in (paired to a Sidewinder Micro Crawler Edition) to hopefully quiet things down and it was only slightly quieter.
Thanks again! That was an answer that I was hoping for.

So I thought I could just simply unplug the Revolver and plug in the Puller without installing it for a sound check comparison. Was wrong. Took the sensor plug out of the esc when I installed it knowing I was going sensorless. Anyone who has a Mamba X knows that to remove the sensor wire you have to unscrew a bracket on the esc that holds the wire in place. Screw it! Just tear the whole thing apart, might as well throw the Puller in, and just assume it won’t be as loud as the Revolver was. Like to know how you other gents are fitting 10t pinions in these. Still can’t go smaller than an 11 and that just barely gives enough mesh. I actually LOVE how this motor sounds! It’s barely as loud as an “average middle quality” brushed motor, but the sound is 100% Revolver so it sounds like a small quiet mouse squeaking and you’re expecting it feel weak, but it’s not gonna have any problems in the torque department. Feels much snappier than the Revolver (same kv), same esc and settings (only in smart sensered setting with Puller), but is sacrificing a smidge of low end control, and a little bit of torque. Anyone else’s Capra axles have a crap ton of play I them when you hold both of the front wheels or both of the rear wheels and try to turn them in opposite directions? Tons of slop in these and I barely drive this beyond mildly. Maybe it’s a normal thing I’m just surprised that I didn’t notice it before. Good evening gents!

Back