• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Holmes Hobbies doesn't have a notch in the motor shaft. Is it secure?

KingRaptor

I finally replaced the stock 21t reverse rotation titan motor on my TRX4 with a Holmes Hobbies 21t TrailMaster Sport. I notice the Holmes Hobbies motor does not have a notch cut into the side of the motor shaft like the Traxxas motor. To help secure and prevent slipping of the pinion gear hex screw. I tightened the hex screw on the pinion onto my new HH motor as tight as I could and hoping it won't loosing.

Anyone ever have problems with pinion gear slipping/ or coming loose from a non-notched motor shaft like the Holmes Hobbies?
Thanks,"thumbsup"

Cover the motor with tape or something to keep debris out and grind a small flat spot on the shaft where the screw will sit. Doesn't have to be much.

Doesn't sound right. I have a HH Crawlmaster Sport 550 sitting on my bench that has a flat side. The Trailmaster Sport I have is in my TRX4 right now but pretty sure I would have noticed it not having a flat side for the set screw. Maybe it's a factory defect/oversight?

Yup, something got missed. The Crawlmasters I just installed had flats on the shaft.

Grind one yourself, or Call Holmes.

There have been reports of counterfeit Holmes Hobbies motors out there, one way he said it was easy to tell is that his Sport lineup have a bronze bushing on end bell, bearing on the shaft end.

Interesting. I didn't know there was fake HH to watch out for. I'll check my motor and see, maybe reach out to him.

I finally replaced the stock 21t reverse rotation titan motor on my TRX4 with a Holmes Hobbies 21t TrailMaster Sport. I notice the Holmes Hobbies motor does not have a notch cut into the side of the motor shaft like the Traxxas motor. To help secure and prevent slipping of the pinion gear hex screw. I tightened the hex screw on the pinion onto my new HH motor as tight as I could and hoping it won't loosing.

Anyone ever have problems with pinion gear slipping/ or coming loose from a non-notched motor shaft like the Holmes Hobbies?
Thanks,"thumbsup"

Here’s a picture of my HH 550. You can see the flat on the shaft and the bearing peeking out around the shaft.
7d293cc325f89ba75b4c23f396ed0e79.jpg

Where did you purchase your motor from? EBay and Amazon were the known places for fakes. Best bet is to buy from a reputable online retailer or straight from HH. Personally I go straight to the source at HH.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I checked it again, it looks like it does have a flat spot. My mistake. But now we know to lookout for fakes and next time ordering from HH.

Glad it checked out!

He does have authorized dealers - mainly be careful on eBay and Amazon.

Back