• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Holmes Hobbie TorqueMaster Pro Handwound 540 Brushed motor work with Traxxas xl-5 esc

raiders32

Rock Stacker
I'm currently running an integy 35t motor and I'm thinking of replacing it with a better motor. Althought its a pretty good motor, when I get in situations where i need torque, the motor starts clicking. I was wondering if the Holmes Hobbie TorqueMaster Pro Handwound 540 Brushed motor work with the Traxxas xl-5 esc. I'm running my truck with a Traxxas 5 series 7-cell battery, 5000 mah.

Thanks in advance!

yes it will work fine with a xl5 esc but its not the best esc fo crawling. while you are at it if you have the funds i would look into getting one of the hh brxl esc/hh motor combos.

I'm fairly certain the XL-5 is rated for 540 motors of 15 turns or more, so if you're going to go with another 35 turn, you should have no problem. If you were going to drop down to a 20 turn and debating the drawbacks of a silver-can 20 turn and a quality hand-wound motor, then you might need to be concerned, but for a 35, you should be fine.

I would first upgrade your ESC and battery to get better results.

Go with the HH BRXL and a 3s lipo, then if funds are left, get a new motor.

I wonder if the "clicking" is due to a chipped/broken/dinged tooth on the pinion or spur gear?:roll:

As to the 7 cell battery, I'm assuming it's a NiMH?? Is it fairly new? What brand is it (I hate quite a few OEM style packs, I only buy from CBP).

Yes, that motor should work with your ESC.

What rig and do you comp??

I just installed a HH torquemaster and esc combo....it's a completely different truck. GOBS of power, torque like I never dreamed of. Make sure that your drivetrain is up to it though. Anything still plastic WILL break...in a total of four days of minimal running with this combo( we have six inches of snow on the ground, so it has been minimal) I have destroyed every plastic drive component on the truck. ( Wraith BTW)

I'd seen lots of photos of the spagetti driveshafts from Wraiths, but hadn't ever experienced it until now. The stock drive shafts lasted less than three seconds of WOT. It's a killer combo.

Back