• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Help me upgrade SCX24 servo

Veteran

I like to upgrade the servo in SCX24.

I found two possible options.

1. SH 0257MG
2. EMAX ES08MA II

#1 is twice as expensive as #2, but I couldn't find any details of them. Could anyone provides how similar or different they are? Which one would you recommend me?

p.s. For some reason, I already have the servo mount of #1, bought from shapeways.com.

1. SH 0257MG

2. EMAX ES08MA II

#1 is twice as expensive as #2, but I couldn't find any details of them. Could anyone provides how similar or different they are? Which one would you recommend me?

p.s. For some reason, I already have the servo mount of #1, bought from shapeways.com.
I'm still learning here but on the majority of builds I've seen here #2 was the way they went

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

I'm still learning here but on the majority of builds I've seen here #2 was the way they went

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Yap. I had the same observation, but my impression is like the reason why many went for #2 is because it doesn't require an additional servo mount whereas #1 does. This is my conclusion, but I'm not 100% sure.

Not requiring a servo mount isn't a bad thing. I and plenty of others are happy with the emax and they are roughly $5 each. I haven't used the other servo however

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Not requiring a servo mount isn't a bad thing. I and plenty of others are happy with the emax and they are roughly $5 each. I haven't used the other servo however

You're definitely right.

I just wonder how much torque each can exert. :roll:

I went with option #2 and got the mount from Shapeways. Still waiting on the servo but I'll report back on the installation soon.

1. SH 0257MG
2. EMAX ES08MA II

I have two of the emax 08's in my SCX. They have more than enough torque to turn under a lot of load.

Mine has 4WS and weighted scrambler tires which are very tall and I have zero torque issues. Mines been setup 4WS with a 050 motor for a long time. Zero issues with that servo even with the added power and 4WS'ing.

EMax all the way if you ask me.

PS: Each of my wheels had 22grams of weight added. Plus two 9gram brass diff caps.

55666bbdc20d8a12ef9f6850efcac910.jpg

Last edited:
I have two of the emax 08's in my SCX. They have more than enough torque to turn under a lot of load.

Mine has 4WS and weighted scrambler tires which are very tall and I have zero torque issues. Mines been setup 4WS with a 050 motor for a long time. Zero issues with that servo even with the added power and 4WS'ing.

EMax all the way if you ask me.

PS: Each of my wheels had 22grams of weight added. Plus two 9gram brass diff caps.

55666bbdc20d8a12ef9f6850efcac910.jpg

I have almost the same upgrades installed in my SCX24, (Beadlock wheels, Swamper tires, Wheel weights, and brass diff caps). As suggested by many others including you, I will go for EMax.

I managed to find the specs of both SH 0257MG and EMAX ES08MA II. Let me add them below for comparison, where you will see tiny differences.

SH 0257MG
Torque @ 4.8v - 1.8kg/25.0oz-in
Torque @ 6v - 2.2kg/30.6oz-in
Speed @ 4.8v - 0.13 sec/60 deg
Speed @ 6v - 0.09 sec/60 deg
Dimensions L x W x H (mm):22.8 x 12.0 x 25.4
Weight: 14g

EMAX ES08MA II
Torque @ 4.8v - 1.6kg/21.0oz-in
Torque @ 6v - 2.0kg/28.0oz-in
Speed @ 4.8v - 0.12 sec/60 deg
Speed @ 6v - 0.1 sec/60 deg
Dimensions L x W x H (mm):23 x 11.5 x 24
Weight: 12g

Looks like they are close enough on specs. I don't think that difference wouldn't be noticable

Add another vote for the EMAX servo. It is more than enough and you can't beat the price. I even specified that servo when designing the Micro Shark.

Didnt the emax 09 act funny or something? I thought I read the 09's where glitchy or something being digital over the analog 08's? Just asking because I always like a cheap micro upgrade! = )

I did have to adjust the dual rates slightly, otherwise it would brown out if I left it at full lock for an extended amount of time

It fit in the stock tray fine. Only needed 2 longer screws

Didnt the emax 09 act funny or something? I thought I read the 09's where glitchy or something being digital over the analog 08's? Just asking because I always like a cheap micro upgrade! = )
I've only heard of a difference between the official and the knockoffs that look very similar

Back