• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.
13,001 posts! Yea!! :ror:

Just gonna leave this here for a minute.

grizzly4x4-213-albums4072-57167.jpg

Thanks guys! Can't wait to see your rigs again Trenton. 8)

Winch is in.

grizzly4x4-213-albums4072-57228.jpg

grizzly4x4-213-albums4072-57229.jpg

Got the rear axle rebuilt. Holmes locker is awesome! I went with dog bones in the rear because I've spent too much money already. When I was at The Crawl Space this weekend Casey didn't like that and gave me a set of universals so those have been installed and with the Holmes locker the slop is all but gone.
I had to file down the flats on the long side just a little bit but the short side fit in perfect.

grizzly4x4-213-albums4072-57224.jpg

grizzly4x4-213-albums4072-57225.jpg

grizzly4x4-213-albums4072-57226.jpg

grizzly4x4-213-albums4072-57227.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks guys! 8)
Yea, Casey was right the unis are better. I will give them back after the event or buy him some new ones. Just didn't want to spend the money right now.

The whole reason I went to The Crawl Space was because my Duratrax 60 tooth spur wouldn't work with the old style Traxxas slipper on the old style Axial transmission. Luckily Casey had a newer style slipper and he sold it to me. Now the trans is together.

grizzly4x4-213-albums4072-57216.jpg

grizzly4x4-213-albums4072-57217.jpg

Foams from Crawler Innovations arrived. Went with 2.2 Double Deuce 5.5" Comp Cut. Firm for the rear and medium for the front; as per Eddie's recommendation. They fit perfect and I think are really going to perform great.

grizzly4x4-213-albums4072-57214.jpg

While I was there I picked up an RC4WD Wraith tie rod to save me a little time building links. I also couldn't resist the RC4WD King Shocks. I've been wanting to try them for a while and just broke down when I held them up to Guido.

grizzly4x4-213-albums4072-57215.jpg

The new shocks look wicked! Using the spring kit I was able to perfectly match the spring force at full compression with the shocks I had already set up so I think they should work ok. I replaced the lower o-ring with a Traxxas one and so far they seem to not be leaking.

grizzly4x4-213-albums4072-57220.jpg

I screwed up because I should have bought 110mm shocks for the rear but I just installed some HPI long rod ends and that took care of it.

grizzly4x4-213-albums4072-57223.jpg

grizzly4x4-213-albums4072-57222.jpg

Get the admins to pony up for gas for the RCC copter and come pick me up!

Thanks guys. I appreciate the replies.

I agree Mike. There are a few rigs like your chino clone that were epic and I'd love to see the original builder keeping them alive and up with the changing times. "thumbsup" I suppose that's not everyone's thing; it works for me though . Guido will never be sold.
I do wonder if there are any others that have been going as long. :ror:

Thanks guys. I appreciate the replies.

I agree Mike. There are a few rigs like your chino clone that were epic and I'd love to see the original builder keeping them alive and up with the changing times. "thumbsup" I suppose that's not everyone's thing; it works for me though . Guido will never be sold.
I do wonder if there are any others that have been going as long. :ror:

I really don't think there is a build as long running as Guido, only one that's somewhat close would be Dean's original scale crawler but he passed the puck to me and I have been tinkering with it now "thumbsup" so while I am not the original owner I think it's cool it's continues to live on an be updated

Ryan has said I can buy the clone back, my original plan was to do so this year but that hasn't worked out yet... The extra cash has gone to other various things, a big chunk of that too KingCobra's son in preserving Tim's collection I was able to procure the 57 Chevy gasser and 50s rat rod pick up. I then also spent a big chunk on my child hood dream clod build when I stumbled across some rare JPS and Sees goodies. Maybe later this year I'll be able to work it out. I would love to get it back and do some updates to it

But enough about me, more Guido! :ror:

It would be great to see you building again Mike so I look forward to it.
The 1:1's are cool too though.

I got links built this weekend. Like I said, I bought the RC4WD rear tie rod to save me some time. The way I build links takes some time so anything I can do to save some work right now is good.
I built a front tie rod and a panhard bar. I got lucky somehow and the drag link for the AXR10 axles worked.

grizzly4x4-213-albums4072-57218.jpg

Full bump. The Vanquish panhard mount worked out great and with a simple z-bend in the panhard everything cleared.

grizzly4x4-213-albums4072-57221.jpg

Here are a few shots I took last week.

grizzly4x4-213-albums4072-57172.jpg

grizzly4x4-213-albums4072-57173.jpg

grizzly4x4-213-albums4072-57174.jpg

grizzly4x4-213-albums4072-57178.jpg

Grizz, I love the updates to Guido, it is and continues to be one of the coolest builds this forum has even seen. Good luck at Scale Nats.

Thanks Dicky! I really appreciate your thought. 8)

This weekend I got all the electronics installed and drove Guido around the yard, only to find out both servos are shot. :x
The Crawl Space won't have them until Thursday so looks like it will be a last minute push to finish since there are some items that can't be buttoned up until the servos are in.
Oh well, what'cha gonna do......

There is one thing that has bugged me for years. The engine had no headers and it just looked incomplete to me. I've tried to build them out of styrene before but the tight bends were just too difficult. The other night I found something in the parts bin that worked pretty good so I decided to go for it this year.
I went to the hardware store and bought some 10 AWG solid core wire. The test piece worked pretty good. It adds a bit of weight but I will live with it.

This proved to be a difficult task; the first tube was fine but getting the rest to align took some patience for sure.

grizzly4x4-213-albums4072-57272.jpg

I made the first one touch the frame and put a dab of hot glue to hold it. As I got each of the others done I used another tiny dab of hot glue to hold them to each other.

grizzly4x4-213-albums4072-57271.jpg

For the collector I used a piece of 0.005" aluminum flashing and wrapped it around. I used a piece of 1/4" tube to form the exit. Then some CA holds it all together. I then went back and added more hot glue between the tubes to make the whole thing more solid.
The coating on the wire didn't really like the tight bends but it didn't turn out too bad.

grizzly4x4-213-albums4072-57270.jpg

A coat of flat black and they are looking decent.

grizzly4x4-213-albums4072-57269.jpg

Here it is installed with a piece of 1/4 tube for the exhaust pipe. It's not perfect by any means, but it gets the idea across pretty well. The third tube somehow moved and isn't quite centered on the exhaust port, but you'd have to be looking pretty close to tell.
I'd like to have more detail (like the collector flange) but I decided this isn't a static model so they don't need to be perfect. I'm really happy with the look now, looks much more finished. The header is hot glued to the motor; I figured that was the strongest way to attach it even though it looks a bit messy. Again, you have to look pretty close to tell. The exhaust pipe has to remain a separate piece or I wouldn't be able to remove the motor and get to the steering servo.

Gotta build the other one tonight.

grizzly4x4-213-albums4072-57267.jpg

grizzly4x4-213-albums4072-57277.jpg

grizzly4x4-213-albums4072-57278.jpg

Last edited:
The guy in the passenger seat looks all stoned, Oh ya you live in Colorado. Thats the way everyone looks.

Back