• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Gearing chart

I'm currently running 4300kv... on 8.7 lihv

Is this the motor you are running?

https://www.hobbywingdirect.com/products/ezm3650sl

If so, I believe those motors are 380 sized internals in a 540 can so they give up much in the way of torque.

From your gearing and electronic choice, it sounds like you use your Wraith for general bashing (jumping, mudding, etc) and not much crawling so there are tons of low cost sensorless motors out there that will fit your needs.

The easiest way would be change motors to something like this and change nothing else:

High-Efficiency GoolRC S3650 4300KV Brushless Motor for 1/10 RC Car O5T9 | eBay

It is a 4 pole motor with a larger rotor with the same KV rating as your current setup so by design it will output more power and run cooler at the expense of shorter run time.

The even better option is to move to 3S batteries with a lower KV motor (to keep the maximum motor RPMs reasonable) and gear down. This would give you more torque, more low speed control, less cogging at low speeds, better brake hold, and cooler electronics. A motor like this with a 3S battery geared at 84/18 would give you a little more top end speed in addition to all the benefits previously mentioned.

100% GoolRC S3650 3900KV Sensorless Brushless Motor for 1/10 RC Car M8R9 | eBay

Brushless motors with lower KV rating do not produce more torque at the same voltage than those of higher KV ratings (if construction and material quality are equal) so you're not going to gain torque by going to a lower KV motor then gearing up to keep your speed. A slower motor with higher gearing is going to produce less torque while running hotter.

The best way to gain torque and keep wheelspeed is go with a 4 pole motor around 3500kv on 3S then gear down to the desired top end speed. To get an idea on gearing, you would need to know the KV rating on your current motor.

So the brushless motors do not have the same characteristics as a brushed motor in the speed/torque relationship?

Low kV/High turn=more torque than high kV/low turn.

It was also my understanding that volting up for wheel speed was better than hearing down.

So the brushless motors do not have the same characteristics as a brushed motor in the speed/torque relationship?

Low kV/High turn=more torque than high kV/low turn.

It was also my understanding that volting up for wheel speed was better than hearing down.

This quote from JRH gets to the point:

My rant for the day:

Lower KV brushless motors DO NOT produce more torque. DO NOT!!! A motor is limited by the size and materials, there is no magic method to extract more torque. So if you want more torque, don't get a lower KV and expect a wild change.

Volt up, gear down goes hand in hand: you increase the voltage to get the motor spinning faster then you gear down to decrease the load on the motor, increase the torque at the wheels, and lower the wheelspeed down to the appropriate level. Gearing up will increase your wheelspeed while increasing the load on your motor and reducing torque at the wheels.

It makes sense. But one would assUme that the power would behave similar to the brushed motors. But it actuality they don't.

Is this the motor you are running?

https://www.hobbywingdirect.com/products/ezm3650sl

If so, I believe those motors are 380 sized internals in a 540 can so they give up much in the way of torque.

From your gearing and electronic choice, it sounds like you use your Wraith for general bashing (jumping, mudding, etc) and not much crawling so there are tons of low cost sensorless motors out there that will fit your needs.

The easiest way would be change motors to something like this and change nothing else:

High-Efficiency GoolRC S3650 4300KV Brushless Motor for 1/10 RC Car O5T9 | eBay

It is a 4 pole motor with a larger rotor with the same KV rating as your current setup so by design it will output more power and run cooler at the expense of shorter run time.

The even better option is to move to 3S batteries with a lower KV motor (to keep the maximum motor RPMs reasonable) and gear down. This would give you more torque, more low speed control, less cogging at low speeds, better brake hold, and cooler electronics. A motor like this with a 3S battery geared at 84/18 would give you a little more top end speed in addition to all the benefits previously mentioned.

100% GoolRC S3650 3900KV Sensorless Brushless Motor for 1/10 RC Car M8R9 | eBay

Thanks fella, just ordered that motor. Will go 3s as well a bit later. Been buying lihv 8.7v cells at the moment and have more than enough. Could do with a bit more speed for the mud an water, and obviously being faster than my friends !!°

Back