• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Fotolabman's K5 Ascender

Fotolabman

I picked up an ascender recently after watching videos and looking into scale crawlers and I've been having fun assembling, running and upgrading my truck. Here are a few pictures of what I have done with my kit so far
QnQxY8c.jpg

TfRTlhd.jpg

I really liked the look of the 3d printed inner fenders from RCaddict
OQKFD3e.jpg

tPe3MKg.jpg

EKo5Wdq.jpg

I asked the machinists at my work if they could drill and tap the SSD bumpers so I could mount the scale licence plates from krawler konceptz. The licence plate number is from my first car, and the insurance date is my wedding anniversary, my wife liked that touch

afQLKDM.jpg

I cant wait to get some tires to mount to these GCMracing wheels

58sYkhi.jpg

When i went out for my first drive with the truck i couldnt figure out why it stopped driving straight. It wasnt until i looked closer at this picture i took that i noticed the screw had almost completely backed out

goR7Afx.jpg

I hope some locktite and this nut will stop that from happening again

Moderator edit: Your images were GROSSLY oversized and removed.
Please remember.... Forum image size rule in ALL sections of forum is
"800 pixels wide by 600 pixels tall"
Anything smaller then that would be helpful.
You're welcome to add images back in thread if they meet the 800x600 rule
Thank you, THX_138

Last edited:
So today I went out with a couple of guys from a local group and had a lot of fun

o9QtcJM.jpg

That is until this happened

QGLilQk.jpg

I flipped it trying to go up a steep rock and I thought I heard a crunch, but since I landed on my wheels I didn't check it out at first.

Now my ascender is FWD, fortunately the local RC shop happened to have a drive shaft input in stock

Last edited:
Ouch! That's incredible that a hobby shop would have that part for the Ascender in stock. I would have thought that you would have to replace the entire driveshaft.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ouch! That's incredible that a hobby shop would have that part for the Ascender in stock. I would have thought that you would have to replace the entire driveshaft.

Yeah I was pleasantly surprised, he happened to have a small box of random vaterra parts, some of his customers are running ascenders or twin hammers

I've been having a lot of fun with my truck lately, I think I'm getting better at not getting too caught up on roots or rocks but i still flip or roll over a lot.
I really like the SSD bumpers they look great but i do get them wedged from time to time

L1npMPv.jpg

New parts!

So i finnaly got some tires for my GCM wheels

the first set of tires i didn't realise how small the 1.9 mud slingers would look compared to the stock tires

xxZyEOi.jpg

But today I received a set of 1.9 pitbull rock beasts
And I think they look much better, i wonder if they will be better than the stock tire

KNguF6E.jpg

I also trimmed the axles and mounted a set of GCM lock hubs

dsqdTQh.jpg

zLGFl1Y.jpg

The only parts I'm still waiting for are the junfac drive shafts because i also ordered the GCM diff input adapter to replace the stock shafts

Last edited:
I think you will love the Rock Beasts. I sure love mine. If you haven't already installed the Crawler Innovations Deuces Wild foams made specifically for the Rock Beasts, I suggest you consider them. This is easily the best 1.9 tire/foam setup I have.

Most important of all, keep enjoying your truck!

Last edited:
I would also consider lowering your setup. Here is a shot of my ride height.

I have it raised up because i thought it would be better to have more clearance over rocks and roots, is it better to have it set lower?

also how do you like the vaterra aluminium shocks?, I'm not sure if i am going to get the vaterra shocks or the king off road shocks

I got to thinking that maybe I shouldn't post a picture of my truck on your thread, so I removed it. Not sure what the correct protocol is!

The main area that would give you trouble with rocks and roots are your axles/differentials. Lowering your body and the presets on your shocks won't affect this. I find that lowering the ride height of my body has lowered my center of gravity and that I don't roll over as much.

I like the Vaterra aluminum shocks. They seem to function better than the stock shocks. I know that some guys have modified the stock shocks and are happy with how they perform. I didn't have much luck trying that. My only regret is that GCM has come out with some cool rear suspension options that might be nice. They wouldn't make use of my new rear shocks. This would only be an issue if I want to do an interior where standard rear shocks would be in the way.

Last edited:
Oh I just cut the picture out of the quote so it wasn't a lot to scroll to to get to the question

I didn't mind the picture

I drove up island about 230km to join another group that was hosting a run for out of towners
Those rock beasts were awesome even with the stock foams
Lots of great spots to crawl by the lake

Sammy J. i lowered my shock setting like you suggested and i seemed to be better, I only really rolled it when i put myself in a bad position

Everyone loved the GCM wheels

AmbbS6V.jpg

SFyMTa3.jpg

RNrCbh9.jpg

QQ2mrlO.jpg

iGitGYY.jpg

Last edited:
Foto, It doesn't look like your pictures are working on the last post. Would love to see them.

I think it should work now, i didnt even notice some of the pics were removed for being too large
they should all be 800x600

Last edited:
Pics working now for me and good big enough. Looks like a good time for all crawling! Wheels and tires look sweet too. :)

Its been a while since I've been able to do anything RC related
I broke my hand four weeks ago on my last crawl
But i was able to take off my splint this weekend and install the parts i had ordered.

YNvFyuZ.jpg

It was a little involved but thanks to a few threads on here it went well changing it to a two speed transmission. There is a little lag when changing gears as it meshes up but its like getting a speed boost when going from low to high. I used a hi-tec HS-225MG, it took a bit of fiddling to get it set on the remote but it works great

q22C3w4.jpg

I also installed the KillerRC LED kit, the lights all flash when its been idling for a while, but i really like having turn signals when i steer

Now i just need to get back out there, and not break my hand next time lol

Glad to hear you're on the mend. It's hard to watch where you are going plus where the truck is going sometimes for sure! You'll love the 2 speed. The lights look good too. Where did you get the light kit from? Thanks.
Ben

Glad to hear you're on the mend. It's hard to watch where you are going plus where the truck is going sometimes for sure! You'll love the 2 speed. The lights look good too. Where did you get the light kit from? Thanks.
Ben

I got the light kit from asiatees.com, killerbodyrc 48103

I got the 18 led kit but I don't see it on the site

The color scheme is great, diggin the green. The area you went to looks great. I will definitely have to PM you in the future, Im headed to the island in Aug - Sept and the Ascender is coming with me.

Back