• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

FMS K10 vs. FMS K5...thoughts?

Wakko

New to crawlers, not new to RC. I bought my 6 year old son a WPL C24 and want to get something for myself. I really like the look of the standard bed K10, but I also love the Fall Guy coloring of the new K5. I believe that the K5 has a two speed, but the K10 doesn't. I'm leaning towards the K5 just for that purpose.

Any thoughts? This will likely be more of a dirt driver and not a crawl track.

Wow two identical posts in two different forums. One is gonna get axed by a mod, that's a no-no. :oops:

Oddly this subforum is used for most of the 1/18 rigs and rarely has smaller than 1/24 rigs in it; it's a catch all for the oddball scales.

I answered your other post.

New to crawlers, not new to RC. I bought my 6 year old son a WPL C24 and want to get something for myself. I really like the look of the standard bed K10, but I also love the Fall Guy coloring of the new K5. I believe that the K5 has a two speed, but the K10 doesn't. I'm leaning towards the K5 just for that purpose.

Any thoughts? This will likely be more of a dirt driver and not a crawl track.

I’m loving my FMS Smasher (that has just about turned into a crawler) , same frame as the K5 , 2 speed trans , portal axles , there are lots of upgrades out there .
I have the high speed motor and metal transmission gears on the way .

The K5 has better options right out of the box .

There are quite a few videos and reviews on both those trucks on you tube .

Fair RC has the EAZYRC Glacier K10 listed for $140 and rusted mod version that is really cool selling for $169.00 . They list the FMS K5 at $145.00 but it’s out of stock. The red and white FMS K10 is on sale for $140 at the moment with a rusted mid version listed at $190 .

I like them myself , and I’m a Ford guy . The K5 with 2 speed trans and portal axles would be my pick .

Wow two identical posts in two different forums. One is gonna get axed by a mod, that's a no-no. :oops:

Oddly this subforum is used for most of the 1/18 rigs and rarely has smaller than 1/24 rigs in it; it's a catch all for the oddball scales.

I answered your other post.

I looked to delete the other thread but couldn't figure out how. After the length of time it took for the account to be approved, and then nobody responding to the other thread, I posted here to cover all bases. I've got the wood to get one of these, and the extra weeks I've been waiiting for research purposes doesn't help. :)

I’m loving my FMS Smasher (that has just about turned into a crawler) , same frame as the K5 , 2 speed trans , portal axles , there are lots of upgrades out there .
I have the high speed motor and metal transmission gears on the way .

The K5 has better options right out of the box .

There are quite a few videos and reviews on both those trucks on you tube .

I think I've watched them all, lol. What is promising is that there's no "wrong" choice...they all seem good.

Fair RC has the EAZYRC Glacier K10 listed for $140 and rusted mod version that is really cool selling for $169.00 . They list the FMS K5 at $145.00 but it’s out of stock. The red and white FMS K10 is on sale for $140 at the moment with a rusted mid version listed at $190 .

I like them myself , and I’m a Ford guy . The K5 with 2 speed trans and portal axles would be my pick .

What are portal axles?

Well in a real full size K5 Blazer from back in the day they had straight Axles . The portals in some of these RC trucks have a gearbox at the wheel end of the axle , this provides ground clearance some lift and in most cases gear reduction.

If I get one of these Fair RC trucks without the portal axels , you bet I would be installing them soon after purchase.

Check out all these a trucks at the Fair RC web page , they list spare parts and upgrades in the descriptions .

There are definitely some great options. Are the only advantages of portals the ground clearance?

Also remember the K5 has a two speed transmission so when the slow crawling gets boring you can shift gears to a higher speed .

There are some over drive gearing options for the portals out there too .

I’m thinking the FMS Toyota Hilux is going to be my next project.

Back