• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

First comp crawler

Since you're in such a dilemma, why not check out a scaler such as Vaterra Ascender or RC4WD TF2? They are lots of fun and currently in production, also I got bored with "comp" crawlers years ago, don't look as realistic and mostly just too easy to point and drive up any lines. Trailing and crawling with a scaler is lots of fun. Otherwise as Curcal said the Bibles for each MOA you listed and reading through people's builds is great info. RTR is also good, especially since you said all your equipment is out-dated. :)

Since you're in such a dilemma, why not check out a scaler such as Vaterra Ascender or RC4WD TF2? They are lots of fun and currently in production, also I got bored with "comp" crawlers years ago, don't look as realistic and mostly just too easy to point and drive up any lines. Trailing and crawling with a scaler is lots of fun. Otherwise as Curcal said the Bibles for each MOA you listed and reading through people's builds is great info. RTR is also good, especially since you said all your equipment is out-dated. :)
He's right! ^^^

Most people got sick of comp crawlers and moved on. The scale market owns the overwhelming majority of the crawling niche. There have been some new trucks released recently (MST CMX, etc.) and more are in the works (Venture FJ Cruiser, etc). The development on comp crawler kits doesn't appear as active. I believe most of those guys just piece together their own rigs anyway. The Losi, and even moreso the R1, will be more of a compromise than a comp crawler that can actually compete.

If you're pointing your "comp" crawler at a line and it goes straight up..... pick a harder line.

I think to a certain (emphasis on certain) extent those who got "sick" of comp crawling found it too difficult to keep trying. The argument for the feather weight fad driving people away is not valid, there are guys driving heavy rigs 5 and even 6 pounds just as good if not better than those with a 3 or 4 pounder.

Fads ebb and flow..... scalers numbers will dwindle and have been as U4 gets bigger...... then something will come along and change things up again...... maybe back to comp crawling..... you never know.

I have always loved comp crawlers, it is the reason I got into RC and am still here. Scale is also fun. It really depends on who is around you and what you enjoy. Some guys bash around with their scalers and go fast stuff. Others like to compete with their scale rigs and Comp crawlers, some just build shelf queens. It is up to you. I own everything from a Yeti, to a Super class Crawler to a SORRCA Class 1 rig. They are all fun for different reasons. If you are a kit guy good for you, if you enjoy moding parts to build your own creations you have much more flexibility. I am here to say that Comp Crawlers are far from dead. Those who say it is were never involved or just don't care about that aspect of RC. If you were bored, fine. Everything comes in waves. Scale is on the rise which is fun. However I have been seeing more division and nonsense there recently than ever before.

Comp crawlers just never did it for me .....ive always liked scale everything trucks/cars/etc....and old tamiya stuff.... the comp crawlers to me are like 1/8 scale buggies they look like flying saucers not cars or trucks just doesn't do for me ....but to each his own

If you're pointing your "comp" crawler at a line and it goes straight up..... pick a harder line.

I think to a certain (emphasis on certain) extent those who got "sick" of comp crawling found it too difficult to keep trying.

Fads ebb and flow...you never know.

Got difficult to find a harder line.

Comps consisted of much standing around waiting, I'd rather drive.

Yes, to each their own and I have more than crawlers, good to go fast or fly too. Everybody has their own opinion, just adding options...I know I sometimes get overly focused and overlook things. "thumbsup"

I have always loved comp crawlers, it is the reason I got into RC and am still here. Scale is also fun. It really depends on who is around you and what you enjoy. Some guys bash around with their scalers and go fast stuff. Others like to compete with their scale rigs and Comp crawlers, some just build shelf queens. It is up to you. I own everything from a Yeti, to a Super class Crawler to a SORRCA Class 1 rig. They are all fun for different reasons. If you are a kit guy good for you, if you enjoy moding parts to build your own creations you have much more flexibility...

X2 "thumbsup"

Comp crawlers just never did it for me .....ive always liked scale everything trucks/cars/etc....and old tamiya stuff.... the comp crawlers to me are like 1/8 scale buggies they look like flying saucers not cars or trucks just doesn't do for me ....but to each his own

Yes, the flying saucer look lol. :ror:"thumbsup"

Those are all valid statements and I can relate to most of them. Except being bored with crawling it's like having a mini Mars rover try to find something it can't do!!!

Building is a huge part of the fun for me. But I almost feel like a noob after all these years and think a RTR that gets handed down is almost needed lol.

Yeah, I have gone back and forth on comp vs scale. I travel for my job all over the states and i really have to say that it really depends on where you are. In AZ, there is no such thing as "too easy" there is always a steeper, more difficult line. In the flat middle of the country, it is definitely a whole other story. In some places there are a ton of fun, nice people to go crawl with and a trail run might be more fun. I would try not to diss other people's preferences, fun is what you make it...

Definitely not putting any aspect of the hobby down. Any RC is a blast to run as long as I'm not required to have tons of those tiny scale accessories I'm in LOL.

I think you're right... Wraith for a trail rig and Bully2 SuDo for a comp rig. Well that's the want list anyway.

I think you're right... Wraith for a trail rig and Bully2 SuDo for a comp rig. Well that's the want list anyway.

That's a great idea. If the scale thing gets a little boring to you turn it into a shafty. If the MOA is too much for you or loses your interest sell/trade it for a scx10 or something.

See that is the beauty of this section of the sport. You can go from one type to the next and easily sell trade to get what you want if your not happy. Personally my scale side of things has fallen right off. The politics of it has gotten worse than any of what I've seen recently in crawling. Myself I really enjoy the build of a crawler/scaler but driving crawler wins every time! I like seeing what is ultimately possible with a well tuned and built rig!

Now go buy something drive it and have fun!"thumbsup"

Back