• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Custom Dodge Ram build thread

bergerone3

Well, i've got this truck during the middle of January. It's came some long ways and like to share it with you. I'll keep posted, and start from the beginning.

Okay I picked this up from a guy off craigslist. It was basically a roller. It had no remote, receiver, esc, nor was the motor wired up. The truck was in great shape though, but i got ripped off. I paid 300 for it. (no upgrades either). I wasn't sure what I was getting myself into, crawling is new to me.

Besides all of that, I do not have all the pictures along the way, but I got some. So bare with me. The truck originally came with a crappy painted yellow honcho body, that didn't last long.

So came the dodge body. The next day I unscrewed the body off a decade old radio shack. I custom fit it too this truck and removed it of all decals. However the wheel base was too long for my liking, so I bought aluminum dingo links.

(Sadly I do not have pictures of the body on before the old links, remember this was before I even thought of a build thread)

While I was at it, i made custom antenna's (didn't like the look so I took them off later on. They were just made of medal wire off a old cheapy rc remote I cut and bent)

Now it was time to drive!

Like I was saying, I didn't like my antenna's. So I made stacks! I was working with my dad on a plumbing job, and came up with the idea when I saw the left over pipe. I painted them silver and drilled my holes. I then anchored them with 4 inch bolts, way over kill. But I at least know they wont fall off. :ror:

I then made a rearrangement of electronics. However once again I didn't take picture's. Shame on me :cry: . However I did take a picture before a drive with my dad and his friend off a outside shot, all you can make out is where I had lay the battery tray horizontally on the front. You can also see my custom light bar.

I still wasn't satisfied, so I rearranged the electronics again! This time I took pictures :ror:

As you can see here I changed the location of my esc to the rear. I had used one long screw with a spacer through the existing hole, and drilled another hole through the receiver box. (works great!)

I also felt like neatly organizing my wiring. I didn't want to spend big bucks doing so, I actually didn't spend a penny. I found some tubing and shock spacers laying around. I drilled a whole through the shock spacer and screwed it to the frame where it now holds the tube, I would like to make another one to place 3 inches from there to ensure it wont fall off.

If you hadn't seen it in the previous picture's, I bought new wheels and tires. I got a good deal on ebay for them (30 bucks for 4, aluminum wheels on tire) the tires are 1.9 rc4wd mickey Thomson ttc baja claws, the wheels are made from intenegy.

Has its own hub too, a pain to assemble, plus five of the screws are stripped :cry: .

My truck is pretty beat now, the underneath looks horrible, but I bought it too use it. (If you want to laugh, you can see that after I put the tires on (took me an hour) I put the rear tread facing backwards :x )

Also, look how bad these driveshafts are. They are broken and no longer usable. For the money I expected them to last longer than two months. I'm just going to stick to the new plastic wild bores.

I also wasn't too impressed by the shocks. I should of expected that seeing how they are meant for a scale appearance and not articulation. So I made them droop, by cutting the springs in half and taking off the rubber boots. MUCH BETTER :ror:

Now its the bodies turn. It looks bad! What do you expect for being 10 years old. Its sadly starting to crack, and its scratched to hell (wonder who done that) :mrgreen: So I'm starting to under coat it. Maybe someday I'll rhino line it. Time will tell.

Back