• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Clod Truggy time!

Well, some more tidbits...

Built a fuel cell with some styrene. It and a battery I built are going to sit right behind the tool box that is sorting all the electronics. I had to build a new platform to hold them, but no biggie.

IMAG0225.jpg

Btw, I finally found a decent place that had a ton of different styrene for sell (MidWest, Plastruct, Evergreen, etc)... https://www.hobbylinc.com

Ok, well some more updates. Finally got around to brazing up a cage for it. First real attempt at making some significant tube work. Really quite hard trying to get everything lined up, etc.

IMAG0264-1.jpg

And a pic of it where it'll be mounted on the chassis. Haven't decided if I'll braze it on, or bolt it down.

IMAG0263.jpg

The "tool box", fuel cell and battery. Didn't quite measure the bottom plate right, ugh. Oh well...it'll do for now.

IMAG0271.jpg

Well got the electronics wired up, but managed to fry a 3racing winch controller. Fun!

Since I have the various electronics finished, including a new winch controller, I started doing some test fit assembly. I was originally going to screw the project box to my rear platform, but it won't all fit into the cage so I'm going to have to put it in piecemeal. That means I need another way of attachment, so just going to use some heavy duty velcro (use it all the time in various RC vehicles; I've only really found it at Radio Shack though) to do it - worked well in the Wraith for the same purpose so shouldn't have an issue. Because of this I had to change up the rear platform a bit so that I could lower the box a tad and leave room for the velcro, which takes up about ~10mm of space.

Also decided to narrow the "toolbox" top a bit, and make the sides of the top a bit shorter. Just didn't look close enough to scale. Now it looks a bit better to me.

Will post more pics after a bit.

Electronics box is finished with diamond plate and chrome!

IMAG0299.jpg

The updated rear brace to hold the electronics box and the fuel cell, etc.

IMAG0295.jpg

What it will look like with the electronics box in it.

IMAG0301.jpg

The electronics box & brace came out great.. Clean work.

Hmmm.. Colors... How about olive drab or something military? Flat colors are real easy to work with. Just spray it on and go! Then, after it gets all bashed up, tear it down, do a respray and just like that.. Fresh paint. Easy as pie.

The electronics box & brace came out great.. Clean work.

Yeah, not too bad if I do say so myself. :) I've just epoxied some small magnets to the top of the box lid and bottom of the toolbox lid for the attachment method.

Hmmm.. Colors... How about olive drab or something military? Flat colors are real easy to work with. Just spray it on and go! Then, after it gets all bashed up, tear it down, do a respray and just like that.. Fresh paint. Easy as pie.

Yeah was thinking about flat colors; probably like one panel done up in a flat gray like it was primed and thats it.

this is truly an inspirational build. I'm hooked on Hilux truggies but the clods really take the cake. this is a rig I just picked up and that i'm working on with the help of a friend. Had to have a cowl hood like yours so I built one myself before sending it off for a new true truggy cage. Here are some pics:

clodtruggy003.jpg

clodtruggy001.jpg

clodtruggy008.jpg

clodtruggy004.jpg

Back