• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Brushless motor getting hot (RhinoESC)

The rig I am building has a 9imod 1850kv 3532 size outrunner with RhinoESC 80A, on 4S. The motor gets hot, about 70°C (158°F) after a minute of very slow crawling on my workbench (no load at all, obviously).
I have not tried running faster, or on proper terrain yet (some parts are still missing).
I am aware that the slow sinusoidal mode is expected to eat more battery and produce more heat. But this is more than I expected, I am afraid to ruin something or let the magic smoke out.

Is this too much heat?

How can I go cooler: use the longer 3542 size motor? A different ESC? Tweaking the ESC settings?

Tzt8Tsd

ESC settings are here (I am unable to insert images)

Thanks for any tips!

Last edited:
I would start out by zeroing out the timing setting
Then i would try it in your normal crawl spot and see whats up
158 is hot but not melting stuff hot a small fan helps alot with motor temps
My brushless motors seem to run hoter on the bench than in the real world

Lowering Sine Mode Power seems to do the trick. It seems I have to wait for the missing parts and dial in the settings on the rocks.

Thanks for the help ferp420!

Good afternoon. How is everything running now on 4s? I recently purchased a similar setup and have been having overheating issues on 4s. I keep it out of sine mode, but that defeats the purpose.

All do-able in settings, reduce startup power, 0⁰ timing, sine mode range to below 10, sine mode power to 8 or below.
With motor 1700kv or more make sure your rig is geared below stock. Overdrive also causes heat with binding drive train, gear accordingly.

I have played around with the settings on mine, I like running as long and cool as possible when on the trails so went with some settings to achieve 2+ hours on a 2200mAh 4S. Also a wanted to simulate a high torque brushed motor so the ultimate slow crawl was not that high on my priorities.
Running a Rhino80 with 3542 1400kv hobbyplus motor.
timing 7.5deg
startup 50
sine startup range 10-15
sine power (peak) 8
running brake level (duration) 9, I found that this is a very important adjustment together with sine power. @running brake level 10 do not go above sine power 5 but at running brake 9 sine power needs to be above 7 to not shudder. RB9/SP8 runs cooler in my rig than RB10/SP5 with similar smoothness and power.

with running brake below 8 sinusoidal start does not happen on my setup.

TRX4 with 105mm/4.19inch tyrs and 9tooth pinion, running high gear mostly with low gear at obstacles and diffs locked only when needed.

Last edited:
Back