• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Bgredjeep Bomber build recap

You want to keep the skid as it is for U4 racing? You think it will hold ?
Which one, the motor skid? It's tied into the chassis in front with a couple aluminum stand offs, and the skid in the rear. It should be ok. If it fails I can remake it from aluminum easily.

It shouldn't really take big hits since it's up between the links, but I didn't like the idea of the motor just hanging out in the open without some protection.

Edited to add a couple pictures. At full bump the skid is basically parallel with the links.
4wLsUT4.jpeg

2r5FH5h.jpeg

Last edited:
I used to wonder how guys had a single stage of a build last for months/years, but here I am. Lol. Just short of 6 months from when I got the Miller cage I finally have a functional vehicle

It's not finished. I need to rebuild the shocks, and it'll get bigger tires, but otherwise it's pretty much ready to go. Based on my first test I think the speed should be where I want. I might need to swap from the 13t to a 15t pinion, but I'm not ready to change based on my quick test in the front yard on small tires.

NddQA23.jpeg

iATvLHj.jpeg

0QCyjzc.jpeg

Y5FVfSn.jpeg

MlacbTK.jpeg

GynPtm2.jpeg

CvFPGYY.jpeg

Rtr weight as it sits is right at 7.5lbs. It'll be a little more with larger tires.
oHIqHY4.jpeg

Last edited:
I was thinking about the Transmission skid....what filament did you use to print?
Petg with 70% infill. The infill is a bit overkill, but I've been running basically the same skid on my bomber and my wraith for a while now (since Sept 2022 according to my thingiverse). No issues so far.

Last edited:
I worked on the shocks today. I'm trying out the variable rate pistons that came with the Bomber and wraith back in the day. Going for higher compression and lower rebound dampening. I'm pretty sure the instructions I found about those pistons were backwards and I'll need to redo the rear shocks to flip the piston, but it's not a big deal.

When I finished that I whipped up a quick aluminum tailgate and sticker bombed it.

KypgebZ.jpeg

I had a little unexpected break here. I ordered some new tires for this rig and was waiting for those to come in. Ended up going to the er Friday and was relieved of my appendix.

So anyway, after a long weekend at the hospital I'm finally back home recovering and had a chance to work on my new tires.

I picked up some scorpios and crawler innovations single stage foams. I'll have to compare how they work vs the proline xl dual stage foams I have in my other set. So far they feel good, and I like that they are solid without bulging the tires out.

j3mX8Pt.jpeg

EBXZoDe.jpeg

Glad you have some RC business to recover with.

Those Scorpios are a surprisingly underrated tire. They look and perform great.

Glad you have some RC business to recover with.

Those Scorpios are a surprisingly underrated tire. They look and perform great.
I agree. I've had them on my bomber for a while and they are great. On the Bomber I found a nice improvement snipping some of the tread blocks out, so I did the same with this set before I mounted them. It's pretty much ready for testing now once I feel up to it.

Mo64mNZ.jpeg

yLwgh5y.jpeg

Small update. With the new printer I decided to print up new skids for the bomber and miller. They use the exact same skid, just different side plates. I added some pockets on top of the skid (4mm deep) to add extra walls and increase the stiffness of the skid side to side. I used the sample pla-cf that came with the bambu and, once again, the machine impressed with the quality of the part. We'll see how these hold up. I've still got the petg parts if needed.

Cb7FLi4.jpeg

With Fallen getting his rig sorted out, I decided to address something I didn't account for when building the miller. I had intended for the battery to be installed from the rear under the car, but when I got it together the battery wouldn't fit between the skid and one of the cage tubes.

The fix was easy (cut the tube) but I wanted to brace it to keep the chassis strong. I drew up a quick part to connect the 2 sides, and also tie to the tube above to stiffen that section of the chassis.

L5aHLXX.jpeg

jPyeEkh.jpeg

Back