• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Best radio to purchase

smack2006

What is the best radio to buy that has reasonable receiver costs? I have been looking at the Radiomaster MT12, the noble pro, and the futaba 10px. I have a spectrum Dx5c but $60 a receiver gets old as you grow your collection. I know that there will be lots of opinions but I just want to know what others are doing. Thanks for any input you may have and keep RC’ing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

flysky gt5 about $60 and $15 per receiver vary easy to use and feels good in the hand
the radio link rc4gs or rc4gs are a good quality radio but don't feel as good and are less easy to use but have amazing range and are slightly cheaper 40-$50 and $10-$15 for receivers they also have longer range receivers for alittle more
I also use a flysky gt3c I really like but needs to be hacked to really be worth a turd
and a dumborc x6 ok radio doesn't work with some escs for what ever reason it's a extreme budget radio but no real complaints still better than a lot of rtr radios
those are the ones I use for my builds

There is no single best.

HobbyKing used to offer clone Spektrum receivers under the OrangeRX brand. The ground versions appear to have been discontinued.

The top brand for ground RC is Futaba, but that is expensive and receivers can be even more expensive. Sanwa is another good brand, but again receivers tend to be expensive. I have found their customer service to be trash though.

The Radiomaster is apparently really difficult to program. You have to decide if you want to deal with that.

Like ferp, I have a FlySky GT5 and it's a decent radio. I wouldn't say it's the best. FlySky just doesn't do anything the best IMO, but it's a decent, budget radio. The Turningy rebrand, linked below, tends to be cheaper than the FlySky version. Receivers are cheap. This is my main radio at this point.

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-gt5-6ch-2-4ghz-afhds-2a-surface-radio-w-gt5-receiver.html

I also have Radiolink transmitter and I loved that thing, but I found it to be fragile. It is the only radio that ever broke on me. It was in a slip where I caught myself with the radio hand, but all of my other radios have survived equal or worse hits without damage.

I just bought an MT12 and really like it. The programming of it is different than anything ground pounders are use to. With either ELRS or the 4-in-1 or both for that matter it makes it a very capable radio. Programing a basic model is pretty simple adding things like 4WS gets a little more complicated but not too bad. There are several people with videos on how to program different functions. I was somewhat use to EdgeTX as I have to stick radios that run OpenTX which EdgeTX was forked from. I have a Flysky FS-GP7 & RadioLink RC6GS v3 that I'd sell, have way to many TX's.

I’ve got 3 popular brands. Hands down I’ve never had a failure with my Futaba. 4 channel receivers are reasonable, not cheap. I’ve never lost any function even for drag racing

It all depends what you want out of your radio, what you want to put into your radio, and how many channels you need.

I am a Spektrum guy, but Spektrum RXs are spendy. I think they are worth it, but that doesn't ease the pain in the pocketbook. If you only need three channel RXs, you can pick up DSM2 RXs for around $15-20, I have never had one of these fail on me.

The MT12 is a completely different barrel of monkeys compared to our normal surface radio offerings. The great thing about it is that there are not very many RXs it cannot run. ELRS RXs are cost-effective, channel rich, and have stupid far range. The pain of the MT12 is learning it, it does things a bit differently, is not terribly intuitive, and like-functions are not programmed in the same place. But, you'll be very hard pressed to find anything you cannot do with this radio once you get the hang of programming it.

I can't say I am a fan of FlySky. They have lots of channels, and their RXs are very cost effective. But, I do not like their feel, and I have seen too many of them fail their users.

JMHO...

I see a lot of back and forth about Flysky, I have two hacked Flyskys that I have had for years, over 10 years at least and I've never had an issue with either, they've been dropped, banged around, etc. Learning how to use them can be a little tricky but once you got it they are great and receivers are dirt cheap for the 3 channel ones, which is mostly what I use, steering, throttle, and a winch. I have a couple 6channels in my TRX4s for the 2speed and diffs.
I made myself a little programming cheat sheet from a video on Youtube, takes me five minutes to set up a new rig on it. I have a Spektrum DX5c, a Radiolink and Flysky GT5 and my old Hacked GT3b and GT3c are my favorites.

Maybe someone can help me out a bit. I have plans to build a very large tracked fpv UGV and want to control it from home. My community is surrounded by a circular road, with a park, a lake and some low trees and 2 story houses in the "center".

Would any of these radios let me control my toy from at home?

Kicker. This is also to be used in a indoor airsoft training area with buildings and such?

Am I dreaming?

Last edited:
Maybe someone can help me out a bit. I have plans to build a very large tracked fpv UGV and want to control it from home. My community is surrounded by a circular road, with a park, a lake and some low trees and 2 story houses in the "center".

Kicker. This is also to be used in a indoor airsoft training area with buildings and such?

Am I dreaming?

Your best shot here is a Radiomaster MT12 with ELRS receivers.

Am I dreaming?
I would think you would need a wifi or cell connection

radiolink says 600ft which is almose enuff to cover my property from gate to gate I also have a cheap fpv set up mounted inside a spare tire with its own battery and all the electronics so I just plug in the battery and strap it to the roof of what ever I am driving and it's good to go

Thanks for everyone’s input. I ultimately ordered the Radiomaster MT12, it’s not that expensive that I will worry about dropping it and I can learn its quirks hopefully. I will let y’all know how it works for me.

Thanks for everyone’s input. I ultimately ordered the Radiomaster MT12, it’s not that expensive that I will worry about dropping it and I can learn its quirks hopefully. I will let y’all know how it works for me.

Thinking of getting one myself.

Be ready for a learning curve on setup.

1st thing I know on the MT12 is its 1 to burn 2 to turn.
They have channels 1 and 2 switched but you can change them around.

Some decent youboob vids on it navigating the menu.

I like my Radiolink RC6GS, and was looking at the RC8, but held off till spring to buy. Wiht the MT12 out, I'll probably go this route to make things even easier in the long run and the learning curve wont be bad.

Back