• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Best performing rock crawling tire

No one has mentioned what type of rig we are talking about, scale or comp rig and also what size tires? A scale rig is a totally different rig than a dedicated comp rig thats made for all out performance. Tires and foams play a huge roll in a comp rig and you can definitely tell the difference between them.

:ror: Since the OP originally posted in the SCX10 II section, the scale nerds (as WHITE-TRASH likes to call us) assumed he was intending to put these on an SCX10 II. But we all know what happens when one assumes... Plus, the comp-crawlers' take on the question, and the back-and-forth between the comp guys and scale guys, have made for a far more entertaining thread.

I'd like to throw out a related question here rather than start a new thread. I'm looking to upgrade the tires on my Wraith that came with the Trepadors. I've always been partial to tall, skinny tires in the 1:1 world for reasons I don't need to get into here. Primarily I want the most ground clearance I can get under the diffs. I am eyeing the RC4WD boggers or baja claws, the proline TSL XLs, and would consider the Duratrax deep woods, just not sure if they're any good. I guess I'm torn because many reviews on the RC4WD tires say the sidewalls tear, and the prolines say they're impossible to mount. I'm really not interested in buying anything more than another set of axial plastic beadlocks. The Deep woods seem to be the tallest. I run mostly rough rock and hard pack dirt. Wet rock/dirt performance important, but don't really care about mud. What do you guys think? Thanks!

Ruptures with a set of CI DD foams, easy to mount, great grip and bite, run on a 1" rim
559616f1a6247f3bf01004a3f29f8c11.jpg

Hang up and Drive

Well right next to them are the TS XL stuffed with CI DD also,I did add one extra ring on each to tighten things up (no the yeti isn't a crawler, ) but it does crawl well
127604ad7c094d35bf9dc8643dfb2398.jpg

Hang up and Drive

The TSL would be my first choice, but the interweb is riddled with horror stories of trying to mount those things. Is there a cheap wheel that they easily mount to?

Re: Best performing rock crawling tirex

I am eyeing the RC4WD boggers or baja claws, the proline TSL XLs, and would consider the Duratrax deep woods, ....I'm really not interested in buying anything more than another set of axial plastic beadlocks. . What do you guys think? Thanks!

No one reads. RC4WD boggers, baja claws, or deep woods would all do fine and mount to your rims. If theres anything that can be learned from this thread, its that asking everyone for an opinion is a waste of time. Pick the one YOU like best. "thumbsup"

Again, thanks for the input. I was more looking for experience, rather than opinions. Like if there were any major issues or concerns with the tires I was looking at. Great info here. How is the Deep woods compound? Appealing at $20/pair. Thanks for the info on the wheels Mike, but there's no way I'm dropping that kinda coin on wheels right now lol.

I hear you. I tried a couple of plastic cheapies, Proline Faultlines, nothing held my beads until the GearHeads .

That's why I suggested Ruptures, they mount to anything, and are reasonably priced.

Hang up and Drive

Again, thanks for the input. I was more looking for experience, rather than opinions. Like if there were any major issues or concerns with the tires I was looking at. Great info here. How is the Deep woods compound? Appealing at $20/pair. Thanks for the info on the wheels Mike, but there's no way I'm dropping that kinda coin on wheels right now lol.

The duratrax 1.9s are ~$16 a pair. A friend has deepwoods and showdowns. They NEED stiffer foams to work well, the stock ones are too soft to support a truck, but any tire you buy will work better with good foams. "thumbsup"

IMO, buy duratrax tires, buy 2 stage CI/proline foams and have a better working combo then spending the same $$ on just tires.

Out of those choices I'd choose none of them. [emoji38] jconcepts ruptures are fantastic all around tires. It takes some work to make them great but after beating on a set for almost a year they are my favorite all around tire for sure.

I have G8 hyrax and tsl sx's, voodoo pins in gold, ruptures and scorpios in green, r35 bfg's, XOR's and even a set of losi boss pins to round up the choices. When it comes to straight up rock crawling I love the ruptures. I've ran the hyrax a bit and the voodoo's are losing their virginity tomorrow. The hyrax are pretty solid but I bet they get better with age.
What foams are you running in your ruptures? I got a set and they will be going in a mostly stock 6 lb scx10ii kit rig.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Double deuces

Hang up and Drive
Im resurrecting this old 2017 thread because its loaded with relevant (and entertaining) info for anyone tire shopping right now!

In your opinion, which Double Deuce 2 stage outers are best for climbing up rock faces (in Arizona), soft, medium, or firm?

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

I would say firm/medium.
But I don’t crawl on AZ rocks, just coral and limerock in FL. It is hot here, so I’m gonna say medium up front, and firm behind. Too soft and your tire bunches up

Hang up and Drive

Back