• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Best performing rock crawling tire

Every interaction I've had with him has been a complete turnoff. I'm not the only one who has bad things to say about him either - not sure why he seems to rub a lot of people the wrong way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Those Ottsix guys are like the worst cliche of a high school movie meat headed jock bully. They continue to redefine the term fanboy and every time they open their mouths whether in person or online, they turn people off in a big way. You can even feel the insecurity as they look for approval in their actions and statements. If it wasn't so sad and awkward, it'd be hilarious. Their axle housings are absolute garbage, their bodies are the worst example of an RC body I've ever seen, their tires are overrated at best. If the Ottsix cult would just shut their mouths and put all that PR suicide energy to positive use, they might actually develop a competitive scaler tire. Until then we'll just have to keep laughing at their self destruction and continue not taking them seriously.

I put an order in for their new 4.19 tires a while back and for at least 6 months heard nothing. I finally asked for an update/estimate on shipping and a question about their new foams - after 2 or 3 days I got a half response. He didn't address the question on shipping for the new tires. When I followed up and asked again about the estimate (because they were delayed at least 3 times) he just refunded my money and said "because of the delay we refunded your money."

Those guys and all the fanboys are some of the lamest people around - you're exactly right. Don't believe us? Head on over to the Voodoo Tires Fan page on Facebook and enjoy some of the finest douche-sauce on the interwebs.

Honestly, pick the one you think looks best and run it. RBXL will outperform the Hyrax in one spot, where the Hyrax will outperform the RBXL in the next. I used to spend way too much time reading and analyzing threads on tires to find the "best" one, but like Jato mentioned, there simply isn't a "best" anything.

I think the Hyrax look badass, but they aren't scale. I don't care for the look of the RBXL myself. I prefer the original Rock Beasts, which is what I chose for my new SCX2 project.

These are toy trucks at the end of the day and really it's not like if you choose one or the other you're going to be left behind on the trail (unless you run a slick LOL). Pick what YOU like and run it. If we all run the same stuff, it's boring.

Edit: When I am speaking about it not really mattering tire vs tire, I am referring to tires that are roughly the same size, with a company's good compound (Proline G8, Pitbull Komp or Alien, RC4WD X2SS or their new one). Obviously the Hyrax will outperform a small, harder compound tire.

Had to throw this in with the keyboard warriors out there :flipoff:

Last edited:
Honestly, pick the one you think looks best and run it. RBXL will outperform the Hyrax in one spot, where the Hyrax will outperform the RBXL in the next. I used to spend way too much time reading and analyzing threads on tires to find the "best" one, but like Jato mentioned, there simply isn't a "best" anything.

I think the Hyrax look badass, but they aren't scale. I don't care for the look of the RBXL myself. I prefer the original Rock Beasts, which is what I chose for my new SCX2 project.

These are toy trucks at the end of the day and really it's not like if you choose one or the other you're going to be left behind on the trail (unless you run a slick LOL). Pick what YOU like and run it. If we all run the same stuff, it's boring.

This is my opinion as well. I've run the Hyrax, Rock Beast, U4, and KLR all at the same spot and every time I get the same results, one tire can make one climb that the others struggle with and vice versa, but it's never enough that I think "Bro you GOTTA run these, absolutely blows away every other tire". Just pick one you think looks good and gives you the look you want. I'd argue that picking the right line and being a good driver goes farther than having the "best" tires on.

Those Ottsix guys are like the worst cliche of a high school movie meat headed jock bully. They continue to redefine the term fanboy and every time they open their mouths whether in person or online, they turn people off in a big way. You can even feel the insecurity as they look for approval in their actions and statements. If it wasn't so sad and awkward, it'd be hilarious. Their axle housings are absolute garbage, their bodies are the worst example of an RC body I've ever seen, their tires are overrated at best. If the Ottsix cult would just shut their mouths and put all that PR suicide energy to positive use, they might actually develop a competitive scaler tire. Until then we'll just have to keep laughing at their self destruction and continue not taking them seriously.

You must have noticed their "media blitz" of every damned rc group on bookface. Fawking spam I tell ya. :lol:

On the other hand, his comment on the Duratrax tires thread was rude and inexcusable though. I didn't understand why he would lash out at tires that are probably a 1/3rd of the price as his since they really aren't direct competition. Maybe it's because some of the Duratrax tires actually work surprisingly well...

We agree on something!:lmao:

The duratrax tires NEED stiffer foam to work. A friends truck is sitting on it's wheels after a few days of crawling with the stock foams.

It's really hard to argue with a $15 tire that works well. The showdowns, while not looking anything like a 1/1 tire, will outperform just about everything in the snow/mud. :)

I wanna run Pro-Line Gladiators.... my fave stadium truck tire....

(nah, I love too many of the new tires that are out now, I'm a tread & sidewall design junkie - and will suffer with some performance loss because I prefer the looks - obviously not concerned with "Winning!", just having fun)

You must have noticed their "media blitz" of every damned rc group on bookface. Fawking spam I tell ya. :lol:

Really, I'm happy to say I missed out on those shenanigans. I'm not on FakeBook. The harder they try to shove their mediocre products and extreme opinions down everyone's throats, the more they lose possible and existing customers. Maybe one day we will live in a utopia where the Ottsixes of the world are a funny little footnote on our sports history but I won't hold my breath just yet.

Really, I'm happy to say I missed out on those shenanigans. I'm not on FakeBook. The harder they try to shove their mediocre products and extreme opinions down everyone's throats, the more they lose possible and existing customers. Maybe one day we will live in a utopia where the Ottsixes of the world are a funny little footnote on our sports history but I won't hold my breath just yet.

I'm only on bookface for rc stuff. Locked down account and no friends outside of people in the hobby.

I don't have any problems with ottsix tires or products at all. It's the fanboys and spam bots that I take issue with. I just put a set of gold pins on my main rig. I like them a lot. They *gasp kick the shiat out of my hyrax I ran back to back with them.

I've run KLRs in blue and gold, also running PB xls now too

Out of those two the PBs hands down, the Alien snot or what ever they call it, is pretty bloody good, and being a tyre you can buy for your 4wd helps too"thumbsup"

Have not run Hyrax, or the Jconcepts, both make GROUSE racing tyres though, so I assume they work well;-)

I will admit I fell for the KLR hype train........wasn't on it for long though:lmao:

We agree on something!:lmao:

The duratrax tires NEED stiffer foam to work. A friends truck is sitting on it's wheels after a few days of crawling with the stock foams.

It's really hard to argue with a $15 tire that works well. The showdowns, while not looking anything like a 1/1 tire, will outperform just about everything in the snow/mud. :)

The deep woods perform (amazing :ror:) reasonably well with stock foams on a my sons deadbolt which is mostly stock having only metal chub/lockers/links making it a fairly light rig.

They do not hook nearly as well on his rig as the PB madbeast he has. But like you said for the price they are a good entry level option/backup tire.

Personally I like the Rockbeasts, the only issue I have with them is when going from dry loose leaf litter to rocks. The rubber itself collects the fine dust causing them to lose grip. At that point I have to rely on the tread pattern to catch on the rock and not as much from the friction of the rubber.

Now under the same soil condition, but with dampness or just wet I do not notice the same issues with the tires.

As for ottsix I have also had bad customer service experience with them and would not purchase their products just to not support them. I did however see the shiny new tko axles and fell for the hype. Those things get hung on everything, I made a poor choice in choosing them for a class 1 rig with 4" tires. Maybe not an issue on something sporting larger diameter tires.

Last edited:
"whichever tire you like the most"

in the end all the high end tires perform about the same. after that its driver skill and truck setup.

"whichever tire you like the most"

in the end all the high end tires perform about the same. after that its driver skill and truck setup.
For the most part I would agree with that. "thumbsup"

What's the truck in your avatar? Do you have any more photos or a build thread?

For the most part I would agree with that. "thumbsup"

What's the truck in your avatar? Do you have any more photos or a build thread?

My Bobbed Deuce

Go to the kyosho twin force section. "Kyosho Crawlers" its called now and search Bobbed Deuce and it should come right up.

Honestly, pick the one you think looks best and run it.

This is where I've progressed to. I won't buy comp tires anymore no matter what truck they go on. I've never liked the looks of them, but scale tires were always lacking in the performance department. Those times have changed, and now I go for tires that look like tires.

Also, I'm the kind of person who does not change tires on a regular basis. Tires don't even show their full potential until they are fully broken in. Stay consistent with your setup once your happy where it's at performance wise, that way you know how a tire will respond and know what its limits are.

Did I mention half the tire equation is running good foams?

I guess is not about tire specific, is about compound when it comes to rock. If we talk about compound I would say G8 from Proline and Alien from Pitbull are the best and both work equally great, I have both types and I have seen many many rigs with both and the things that make any difference at that point is rig setup and driver skills, nothing to do with tires.

In my experience, TSL SS are the best all round tires, work great on mud and sand as well because of the thread pattern they have.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

No one has mentioned what type of rig we are talking about, scale or comp rig and also what size tires? A scale rig is a totally different rig than a dedicated comp rig thats made for all out performance. Tires and foams play a huge roll in a comp rig and you can definitely tell the difference between them.

Back