• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

Ascender water locked driveshaft

Anyone have suggestions on preventing Waterlock in the drive shafts? I didn't think I even drove through alot of water but clearly I drove through more water than I remember. I have an almost brand new Ascender with the F100 ,not that the body matters much. Any suggestions to keep this from reoccurring, as much as I love taking my rear axle apart it Would be nice to not have to do it every time I drive through a small puddle.
- Thank you

Waterlogged...

I pack my axle housings full of grease, enough that there is very little space for water to collect. I use marine grease for this application.

I also use those little silicone spacer pucks from Lockup-rc.

Silicone Spacers

Anyone have suggestions on preventing Waterlock in the drive shafts? I didn't think I even drove through alot of water but clearly I drove through more water than I remember. I have an almost brand new Ascender with the F100 ,not that the body matters much. Any suggestions to keep this from reoccurring, as much as I love taking my rear axle apart it Would be nice to not have to do it every time I drive through a small puddle.
- Thank you

I've not had this problem, I'll drive through water and mud, but I don't seek it out. Maybe drill tiny hole crossways into the end of driveshaft pieces into the center void, use a very small bit like #55.

I also use those little silicone spacer pucks from Lockup-rc.

Silicone Spacers

Wow, hadn't seen those sweet little spacers, I need to order some, thanks! "thumbsup"

I’m using Mobilgrease xhp[emoji769] 222 for all my axles, it’s a marine grease and never had any issues [emoji6]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not quite sure what the OP is talking about with the drive shafts :?: Unless they are binding up from sand / grit preventing them from sliding in and out of the splines.

I used Amsoil marine grease when I built mine, never had any problems with the axles or driveshafts and I drove through mud plenty of times here in FL.

The OP is referring to getting water inside the female part of the driveshaft, then during suspension compression the water "locks" the slip in the driveshaft. You can literally see water seep out of the slips when you force the suspension to compress. The snow is melting up here, which makes for plenty of watery play areas. I looked at his driveshafts, no visible sand/debri in them.

It interferes with normal suspension travel and is hell on trans output and axle pinion bearings. I have a first batch ascender with the updated "HD" driveshafts and its seen plenty of mud/snow/water and doesn't seem to exhibit this problem. Maybe it's a one time thing, maybe a very small hole drilled near the yoke would do the trick.

Not sure if flipping the plastic sectons of driveshaft around would help, then the female would be up top and gravity would assist in draining the water. I'm surprised the slip section are that snug. I think the male section is hollow as well, so maybe it would still trap water.

I know that MIP driveshafts are hollow all the way through on the female, and would surely solve the problem. But IMO the stock shafts are plenty rugid.

This is strange. So your describing a hydraulic lock where the drive shafts trap water inside and prevent them from being able to slip into eachother during droop or compression? My gut is telling me you likely are mis-diagnosing the problem, but maybe not. Can you describe what exactly happens, or how exactly your truck reacts after being in water causing your issue? I'd be looking more at electrical short caused by water making your rig seem as though it's "locked" up but until you give us some more details it's hard to say. Good luck!

Just throwing an idea out there - as an Ascender owner in a dry climate with no snow and no previous experience of driving mine through creeks and no plans to do so (smelly water)....

What about drilling very small holes in the plastic driveshaft?

Back