• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

3rd party Portal Axles, ?s

8300Angstroms

Focused 2 brands:

For those who have used either,

CoG: Did these help lower it? Seems like it should, being these are machined Al & stock portals are plastic. In theory, they most lower the CoG, but is it significant?

4WS: Has anyone purchased to 2 sets of steering (i.e. front) portal axles, to enable either 4 wheel steering? Dependent or independent.

Simple way would be dependent steering, using 2 steering servos; one per portal axle. Then setup the transmitter to either keep the back wheels straight, or rotate in opposite directions. (e.g. If the front steering servo rotates 15 degrees clockwise, rotate the rear one 15 degrees counterclockwise.)

Wiring issues aside, how difficult was it to mount a 2nd steering servo?

I can't speak to the 3rd party axles first hand but logic would dictate that it would help with the CoG. As far as the 4ws goes, yes, it's pretty easy to just use a second front axle in place of the rear axle (along with a second servo). Depending on what ESC you are using, you might need a BEC as well to make sure both steering servos are getting the power they need. Some slight cage trimming might also be needed in the rear as well depending on the size servo you are using.

I can't speak to the 3rd party axles first hand but logic would dictate that it would help with the CoG. As far as the 4ws goes, yes, it's pretty easy to just use a second front axle in place of the rear axle (along with a second servo). Depending on what ESC you are using, you might need a BEC as well to make sure both steering servos are getting the power they need. Some slight cage trimming might also be needed in the rear as well depending on the size servo you are using.

Regarding CoG, logically it must be lower compared to the stock portal axles, but significantly? That's the question.

Thinking CC Copperhead for the ESCs, and HH SHV800's for the steering servos. But being a newbie, would like to know what I'm getting into.

Though I didn't build it, a friend has a set of the SS Capra axles under his Reaper chassis, using two front axles for four wheel steering. Very nicely made axles and a great addition to his build. He's also using a Copperhead in it as well. His one complaint is that you have to use the SS parts if you want to add brass since they are different from Axial based parts.

You'll be fine with the copperhead and those servos, no external BEC needed. I had to use an external BEC on mine since I have a HW 1080 ESC and the internal BEC isn't strong enough for two servos.

Though I didn't build it, a friend has a set of the SS Capra axles under his Reaper chassis, using two front axles for four wheel steering. Very nicely made axles and a great addition to his build. He's also using a Copperhead in it as well. His one complaint is that you have to use the SS parts if you want to add brass since they are different from Axial based parts.

Good to know about the SuperShafty axles. By 'brass', you mean the brass knuckles? If so, expected that.

The Supershafty axle housings will accept any parts that will fit the stock axle housings. I had a SS front axle on my VFD Capra build for rear steering and just used the stock knuckles. You only need to use Supershafty portal covers/ brass if you use their knuckles.

The Supershafty axle housings will accept any parts that will fit the stock axle housings. I had a SS front axle on my VFD Capra build for rear steering and just used the stock knuckles. You only need to use Supershafty portal covers/ brass if you use their knuckles.

Thanks the clarification about the SuperShafty compatibility mjensen,

But you raised a few questions:
  1. You used a front SuperShafty portal axle on the rear of the Capra?
  2. So you had 4WS?
  3. Using 2 steering servos?
  4. What is a 'VFD Capra'?

Thanks the clarification about the SuperShafty compatibility mjensen,

But you raised a few questions:
  1. You used a front SuperShafty portal axle on the rear of the Capra?
  2. So you had 4WS?
  3. Using 2 steering servos?
  4. What is a 'VFD Capra'?

VFD Capra is a build I did a while back. There's a build thread on the 1st page of the Capra forum here. I had 4WS on it for a while but I removed it for more front weight bias. It did have the rear steering servo on the axle.

VFD Capra is a build I did a while back. There's a build thread on the 1st page of the Capra forum here. I had 4WS on it for a while but I removed it for more front weight bias. It did have the rear steering servo on the axle.

Found the thread (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial-capra/617856-vfd-capra-can-i-still-call-capra.html). All of the references to '3D Printing' scared me.

So maybe 4WS is just a viable option for Capra? Which means something a Dlux R/C crawler (e.g. http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial-capra/617856-vfd-capra-can-i-still-call-capra.html), might be the 4WS option. (i.e. Capra, by its nature, is not suited for 4WS, because of the weight distribution issues.

You did the Capra to work with the SS front & rear axles, plus brass knuckles for the front? And got a decent CoG out of that configuration?

Found the thread (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial-capra/617856-vfd-capra-can-i-still-call-capra.html). All of the references to '3D Printing' scared me.

So maybe 4WS is just a viable option for Capra? Which means something a Dlux R/C crawler (e.g. http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial-capra/617856-vfd-capra-can-i-still-call-capra.html), might be the 4WS option. (i.e. Capra, by its nature, is not suited for 4WS, because of the weight distribution issues.

You did the Capra to work with the SS front & rear axles, plus brass knuckles for the front? And got a decent CoG out of that configuration?

I probably shouldn't have mentioned my build thread. It was a hot mess that went on for over a year and there wasn't much of the stock Capra left except most of the cage.
On the VFD Capra I had a Vanquish Capra front axle as the VFD transmission requires an offset front pumpkin. The SS Capra front axle worked fine for the rear.
If you want rear steering on your Capra the SS front is a great choice. It was fun to use for the short time I had it on the custom build. I just decided since I also had the DIG that I really didn't need it, I don't compete but I believe most comps only allow you to use either AWS or DIG, not both (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

I also have a mostly stock Capra which is fun to drive. The COG is a little high with the stock 97mm shocks so side hills can sometimes can be an issue. The stock gearing is quite high but I believe you can you can use an 11 tooth pinion (possibly a 10 tooth) which will help some with that. All in all the Capra is good truck. Probably not the best starting point if you want to comp but it's a solid kit.

I'm certainly not a Capra (or RC) expert by any means. Most of what I know is from trial and error and making a lot of mistakes but if you have questions I will do my best to try and help. Folks on RCC have helped me out a lot in the past and I'd like to do my part.

Last edited:
I probably shouldn't have mentioned my build thread. It was a hot mess that went on for over a year and there wasn't much of the stock Capra left except most of the cage.
On the VFD Capra I had a Vanquish Capra front axle as the VFD transmission requires an offset front pumpkin. The SS Capra front axle worked fine for the rear.
If you want rear steering on your Capra the SS front is a great choice. It was fun to use for the short time I had it on the custom build. I just decided since I also had the DIG that I really didn't need it, I don't compete but I believe most comps only allow you to use either AWS or DIG, not both (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

Plan was to skip the DIG for the 1st build, and save it as an upgrade option. But IF I elected for 4WS, skip the DIG outright. You just backed that up.

To attach a rear steering servo, are any special modifications needed to the Capra? For example, would a 3rd party servo mount help? (https://www.amainhobbies.com/ssd-rc-capra-aluminum-servo-mount-set-black-ssd00394/p-qqqvt2tqlcqnqctz)

I also have a mostly stock Capra which is fun to drive. The COG is a little high with the stock 97mm shocks so side hills can sometimes can be an issue. The stock gearing is quite high but I believe you can you can use an 11 tooth pinion (possibly a 10 tooth) which will help some with that. All in all the Capra is good truck. Probably not the best starting point if you want to comp but it's a solid kit.

Never considered 9 tooth pinion? THINK someone did that using the Treal transmission case.

Plan was to skip the DIG for the 1st build, and save it as an upgrade option. But IF I elected for 4WS, skip the DIG outright. You just backed that up.

To attach a rear steering servo, are any special modifications needed to the Capra? For example, would a 3rd party servo mount help? (https://www.amainhobbies.com/ssd-rc-capra-aluminum-servo-mount-set-black-ssd00394/p-qqqvt2tqlcqnqctz)

Never considered 9 tooth pinion? THINK someone did that using the Treal transmission case.

If you go with the Supershafty axle housing they also sell the SOA (servo on axle) mount you need.

There are a number of sites and videos on converting the Capra to AWS.

Joe over at Exocaged RC has a lot of videos of various mods he's done to his Capras including AWS. He has also converted other trucks to AWS and I believe he has a video on setting up your radio for AWS.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL_WRN9SX4RQiTfP5t1IX0ePqrtk9R2fBi

Horizon Hobby also has a step by step guide to converting the Capra to AWS which includes a parts list. Your list will be slightly different since your using an aftermarket axle housing but it will give you a basic idea of what you need.

https://www.horizonhobby.com/blog-axial-capra-four-wheel-steering-mod.html

If you check out these sites I think they'll explain the process better than I could.

If you go with the Supershafty axle housing they also sell the SOA (servo on axle) mount you need.

You mean like this one?

https://supershafty.com/products/axial-capra-axle-servo-mount?_pos=6&_sid=ffff46b0d&_ss=r

There are a number of sites and videos on converting the Capra to AWS.

Joe over at Exocaged RC has a lot of videos of various mods he's done to his Capras including AWS. He has also converted other trucks to AWS and I believe he has a video on setting up your radio for AWS.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL_WRN9SX4RQiTfP5t1IX0ePqrtk9R2fBi

Horizon Hobby also has a step by step guide to converting the Capra to AWS which includes a parts list. Your list will be slightly different since your using an aftermarket axle housing but it will give you a basic idea of what you need.

https://www.horizonhobby.com/blog-axial-capra-four-wheel-steering-mod.html

If you check out these sites I think they'll explain the process better than I could.

Thanks again mjensen,

Some homework to do, for sure. And now I know what AWS stands for --> All Wheel Steering

BTW, Maine is gorgeous. Been there 3x for photography, and the worst part is heading home. Hoping that Heaven looks like Acadia NP.

You mean like this one?

https://supershafty.com/products/axial-capra-axle-servo-mount?_pos=6&_sid=ffff46b0d&_ss=r

Thanks again mjensen,

Some homework to do, for sure. And now I know what AWS stands for --> All Wheel Steering

BTW, Maine is gorgeous. Been there 3x for photography, and the worst part is heading home. Hoping that Heaven looks like Acadia NP.

Yes, that's the servo mount you'll need.
Good luck with your build. I think you'll enjoy it when it's done. Add some pictures to the thread if you get a chance. They're always welcome.

I actually used to live in Bass Harbor on Mount Desert Island and spent a lot of time in Acadia. It's quite beautiful in all seasons.

Yes, that's the servo mount you'll need.

Thanks!

Good luck with your build. I think you'll enjoy it when it's done. Add some pictures to the thread if you get a chance. They're always welcome.

Gone through many of the build threads, and some did a pretty good photo documenting the build procedure. Have the photography skills, so have no excuse for the doing the same. (But it's a ways off. Still some open issues about components & building the Capra.)

I actually used to live in Bass Harbor on Mount Desert Island and spent a lot of time in Acadia. It's quite beautiful in all seasons.

What a location for crawling! All of those rocks at the bottom of the stairs, leading to the Bass Harbor lighthouse.

Back