• Welcome to RCCrawler Forums.

It looks like you're enjoying RCCrawler's Forums but haven't created an account yet. Why not take a minute to register for your own free account now? As a member you get free access to all of our forums and posts plus the ability to post your own messages, communicate directly with other members, and much more. Register now!

Already a member? Login at the top of this page to stop seeing this message.

3D Printers and Printing

The other night I was soldering up a battery pack for a friend, and it really hit me how much I disliked my solder stand. It was one of my first projects I made when I started using Fusion 360 and printing. After about an hour of staring at the solder stand, I had a good idea of what I wanted for my next one. About an hour on the computer and about 20 hours of print time, I have this little gem. This is so much more functional... This is what I love about the whole 3D printing thing...

Untitled by Scott O, on Flickr

Finally got my ender 3 v2 lined out. Downloaded some of harleys files. I fought with them the past 2 days, before i realized, i didnt have adhesion n supports turned on [emoji2357] Now theyre printin pretty good. Only colors i have at the moment are black n clear, but i managed to get a bit creative with them. When i printed the exhaust n seats, i swapped colors in the middle of printing. I like how they turned out. Idk how, but managed to time the swap on the second seat pretty close lol. I got the dash, 2 seats, exhaust, the hot side of the turbo, n the rack/tray for the phoenix/fordyce done. The cold side is printin now, then ill get the velocity n cliffhanger cab only cage done
fdaa87d76647a566384e74d8c37097b5.jpg
41b1a5735a332f16810d5c3764c91038.jpg
70dfc123bf34015e8b9483cd116d6d3f.jpg
33cb40ac5102707e4d0462143e8a5ce2.jpg
537b2efc5a95e85dae1b321e17cb86c3.jpg

Sent from my SM-A516V using Tapatalk

Finally got my ender 3 v2 lined out.

Welcome to the club! Endless possibilities and a must have tool!

Not sure if this will apply to you, but I always before each print, spray some alcohol (non drinkable kind) on a rag and wipe down the bed when I first start to heat the bed up. That has helped my adhesion. I have the Ender 3 Pro which has the magnet bed, not the glass, so not sure what type of bed you have.

Not sure if this will apply to you, but I always before each print, spray some alcohol (non drinkable kind) on a rag and wipe down the bed when I first start to heat the bed up. That has helped my adhesion. I have the Ender 3 Pro which has the magnet bed, not the glass, so not sure what type of bed you have.
Thanks for the tip brian. Ive got the glass bed right now, but ive been lookin at gettin some of the flexible bed plates. Ill try that alcohol trick next time. Ive got to get the cage printed, hopefully tonight

Thanks for the tip brian. Ive got the glass bed right now, but ive been lookin at gettin some of the flexible bed plates. Ill try that alcohol trick next time. Ive got to get the cage printed, hopefully tonight

I clean both of my print beds with isopropyl right before printing (before the bed gets heated) and have really good success with adhesion. My Mini Prusa has a magnetic bed, and my CR-10 has coated glass.

Both of these printers have served me well, but both are getting a bit long in the tooth. I was just a day away from pulling the trigger on a Bambu A1 when the whole line got recalled. I am hoping they fix their bed cabling issue soon and get them back in to production.

I clean both of my print beds with isopropyl right before printing (before the bed gets heated) and have really good success with adhesion. My Mini Prusa has a magnetic bed, and my CR-10 has coated glass.

Both of these printers have served me well, but both are getting a bit long in the tooth. I was just a day away from pulling the trigger on a Bambu A1 when the whole line got recalled. I am hoping they fix their bed cabling issue soon and get them back in to production.
Id love to have a bambu, but its a bit out on my range n i need more practice at the cad n printing before i spend that kind of dough lol

Id love to have a bambu, but its a bit out on my range n i need more practice at the cad n printing before i spend that kind of dough lol

The A1 was $400 unless you wanted multi color prints then the price jumped up to ~$600 IIRC.

I bought a P1S combo several months ago. Its capable of printing all kinds of filament if I just upgrade extruder gears and the nozzle but so far all I have used is PLA, PETG, and ASA. My CAD skills are lacking. I've only been printing other people's designs.

The A1 was $400 unless you wanted multi color prints then the price jumped up to ~$600 IIRC.

I bought a P1S combo several months ago. Its capable of printing all kinds of filament if I just upgrade extruder gears and the nozzle but so far all I have used is PLA, PETG, and ASA. My CAD skills are lacking. I've only been printing other people's designs.
I feel u. The prints ive done, were from harley. I havent done CAD since high school, n thats been 25 yrs ago lol. Dang, now i feel old. But im in the process of gettin a decent program to try. Wat i did print came out pretty good. I happened to time the switch almost perfectly on the seats. Broke the cage, tryin to get the supports broke free, but ill make it work
a40a62ae2d1cfff802f50e3dcd7e71d4.jpg
dd08480e1be0058804d2fa6d74af37f4.jpg
9db563905c4687705dd9553da77109df.jpg

I also picked up the PS1 a short time ago when they were on sale. Seems like a good little printer. I too have yet to design anything, I am finding it hard to find time for much of anything RC related these days ...

Sent from my SM-G990W using Tapatalk

I’ve had a p1s and ams unit for almost about 9 months and it’s been great. Primarily use it to print esun abs+ with the occasional pla. It’s been a work horse ever since.

I’ve printed all the parts to convert the voron v0.2 to a Pandora’s box, currently printing parts to do a belted z conversion on the voron trident 300 as well as other custom primarily Rc parts.

Only issues have been needing to replace the nozzle once, and ams slot 1&2 are having issues lately. I think the ams issue are more because I really only use slot 1&2, the others are just used as a dry box

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For anyone looking to design your own parts, I highly recommend checking out the Harley Designs stl Sunday Playlist. Get a copy of fusion 360 with the free personal use license and follow along with his process to learn the tool. With some practice you can pretty much draw anything you want. I watched this one a few years ago to get me started. Since then I've drawn and printed loads of parts for my rigs. Anything I think others might find useful I share on my thingiverse page.

https://www.youtube.com/live/xItqF3RrFZ0?si=QZHI0EsWSl8hh_5z

Last edited:
The other night I was soldering up a battery pack for a friend, and it really hit me how much I disliked my solder stand. It was one of my first projects I made when I started using Fusion 360 and printing. After about an hour of staring at the solder stand, I had a good idea of what I wanted for my next one. About an hour on the computer and about 20 hours of print time, I have this little gem. This is so much more functional... This is what I love about the whole 3D printing thing...

Untitled by Scott O, on Flickr

Nice design! I really like it. "thumbsup"

I’ve had a p1s and ams unit for almost about 9 months and it’s been great. Primarily use it to print esun abs+ with the occasional pla. It’s been a work horse ever since.

I’ve printed all the parts to convert the voron v0.2 to a Pandora’s box, currently printing parts to do a belted z conversion on the voron trident 300 as well as other custom primarily Rc parts.

Only issues have been needing to replace the nozzle once, and ams slot 1&2 are having issues lately. I think the ams issue are more because I really only use slot 1&2, the others are just used as a dry box

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Slot 3 gave me a bunch of issues. One time I had about a 1/2" long piece of filament break off in the 4:1 hub in the bottom of the AMS. I took that thing apart 3x before I finally found it. I could tell by the color it was from slot 3, but I had not used that color in a while so not sure exactly what made it finally jam up. I just quit using that slot for now.

If anyone has an eye out for a new printer, the Bambu Labs A1 is selling again, and showing in stock.

They are starting a sale tomorrow. I'm planning to pick up an x1 finally. The sale price basically saves me the tax. Lol

This showed up yesterday. It'll be a major upgrade from my sovol sv01 I've used for 3 years now. It'll probably be another couple weeks before I can set it up due to medical restrictions and an upcoming vacation, but I'll eventually get it running. The hard part (spending the money) is over. 🤣

They are running the current sale all month for anyone else who's been on the fence.

3jQsIOw.jpeg

The only two bad things I have heard about the X1 series is that it wastes A LOT of filament during filament changes, and that the whole operating environment is its own ecosystem. The best thing I have heard about it is that it is not for 3D printing geekers and tweekers, its for people who just want to print with little to no fuss (that goes for all of Bambu's printers).

My CR10 has been pretty good, and it has taken some tweeking from time to time. After five or so years cutting my teeth with it, I think it is time to upgrade. I will likely go with the A1, but a I have some hard-core OT in the near future, and that just might upgrade me to the X1 combo.

Let us know when you pop the cork and get it set up how the whole process went.

The only two bad things I have heard about the X1 series is that it wastes A LOT of filament during filament changes, and that the whole operating environment is its own ecosystem. The best thing I have heard about it is that it is not for 3D printing geekers and tweekers, its for people who just want to print with little to no fuss (that goes for all of Bambu's printers).

My CR10 has been pretty good, and it has taken some tweeking from time to time. After five or so years cutting my teeth with it, I think it is time to upgrade. I will likely go with the A1, but a I have some hard-core OT in the near future, and that just might upgrade me to the X1 combo.

Let us know when you pop the cork and get it set up how the whole process went.
Will do. Aside from the features of the machine, the main points that kept me on the bambu vs other option (k1 max for example):

1. In spite of the closed ecosystem, the majority of what I've read/watched says it just works. I don't want to tune and tweak settings to try and get good prints. I want to send it and have a good part at the end. I think this machine will do that, and fast.

2. Every review of a printer in this range (features and price range) is a comparison to the x1 carbon. They compare the speed, the print quality, the features, etc. Most come up a little short, but are a bit cheaper. Basically, it's the ruler by which other machines are currently measured.

Cost/benefit, the k1 max or other similar options might be close enough and save a few bucks, but this should do everything I want, fast, and with high quality. Now I need to design myself a buggy chassis so I can make and print some fixtures. Lol

Thats why I bought the P1S. I wanted something easy. There are still some tweaks you gotta do. The slicer isnt perfect, nor are all of their default temperatures or flow rates, but it mostly works.

Thats why I bought the P1S. I wanted something easy. There are still some tweaks you gotta do. The slicer isnt perfect, nor are all of their default temperatures or flow rates, but it mostly works.

So, I am on the fence here, I am looking at the A1 and the P1S, and trying to decide which way to jump. I like the cleaner design and footprint of the P1S, and I like that it has an enclosure for printing ABS and such, but I have also heard maintenance can be a pain when the back plain has to be accesses. Where as, everything on the A1 is out in the open, and easy to access. Also, I have heard of issues with filament spools on the P1S. Mainly using Hatchbox filament on plastic spools, I don't think this would be an issue on the P1S. What have you experienced with your P1S?

Back